Has anyone had their Omega go in for an overhaul?
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Has anyone had their Omega go in for an overhaul?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question Has anyone had their Omega go in for an overhaul?

Not something I'm planning to do but curious about.

Had anyone put their Omega in for an overhaul? Movement, bracelet refinish, dial, new bezel, new hands... the works?

I got a 2541 SMP showing signs of wear over the decade or so and it got me thinking about it.

If anyone had done this, how did it go and who did it? What's included in this type of service offering?
    Last edited by anonymousmoose; 1 Week Ago at 14:29. Reason: Updated title for clarity

Re: Has anyone had their Omega go in for a facelift?

Let me get this right because the term "facelift" gives me a different understanding

If you want newer *versions* or a certain model to be retrofitted on an older one, like say putting a ceramic bezel on a non ceramic model, then NO, Omega wont do it

If you want parts changed to a new but existing and correlates to the correct parts for the model, then yes, they would, to a certain extent. If you want to refresh so your watch looks brand new, you could ask for a dial replacement, hands replacement, insert replacement, polishing and the likes

Movement however, is an entirely different story, they most likely wont replace an entire movement, but they will replace moving parts such as gears, etc

You could push for it, but I suspect it'll cost you almost like buying a new watch

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

The wife has had a couple. I've advised her to ask for a refund....
    I could stop buying watches, but I'm no quitter.

Rolex Submariner Ceramic ND 114060.
    Grand Seiko SBGN001G GMT.
    Omega Aqua Terra 8500.
    Omega Planet Ocean 8800.
    Omega Speedmaster 1863.

Casio MRG-8100B-1AJF.
    Casio MRG-7600-1AJF.
    Casio MRG-7700-1AJF.
    Casio GMW-B5000-1ER.
    Casio GW-5000-1AJF.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Both my PO and Bond GMT had a service with Omega after ten years or so. This included a spring clean for case, bracelet and clasp, but I kept the noticeable dings on the bezel and case of the GMT because I made them with my boys having fun. Of course it also meant the movements being serviced. I would recommend it, but make it clear what you want doing and perhaps more importantly not done.

Nigel

P.S. Now, now Ade, that sort of comment can lead to a frosty atmosphere
    cybercat and risturm like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NTJW View Post
    Let me get this right because the term "facelift" gives me a different understanding

If you want newer *versions* or a certain model to be retrofitted on an older one, like say putting a ceramic bezel on a non ceramic model, then NO, Omega wont do it

If you want parts changed to a new but existing and correlates to the correct parts for the model, then yes, they would, to a certain extent. If you want to refresh so your watch looks brand new, you could ask for a dial replacement, hands replacement, insert replacement, polishing and the likes
    Fixed thread title for clarity.

The latter.

I'd be interested seeing some before and after photos of their watches after such work being done.

The bezel inserts scratch quite commonly on semesters, wonder if they replace them?

Quote Originally Posted by NMGE17 View Post
    Both my PO and Bond GMT had a service with Omega after ten years or so. This included a spring clean for case, bracelet and clasp, but I kept the noticeable dings on the bezel and case of the GMT because I made them with my boys having fun. Of course it also meant the movements being serviced. I would recommend it, but make it clear what you want doing and perhaps more importantly not done.

Nigel

P.S. Now, now Ade, that sort of comment can lead to a frosty atmosphere

Don't worry Nigel. I wouldn't be posting things like that if she read my posts!
    NMGE17 and cybercat like this.
    I could stop buying watches, but I'm no quitter.

Rolex Submariner Ceramic ND 114060.
    Grand Seiko SBGN001G GMT.
    Omega Aqua Terra 8500.
    Omega Planet Ocean 8800.
    Omega Speedmaster 1863.

Casio MRG-8100B-1AJF.
    Casio MRG-7600-1AJF.
    Casio MRG-7700-1AJF.
    Casio GMW-B5000-1ER.
    Casio GW-5000-1AJF.

Quote Originally Posted by HiggsBoson View Post
    The wife has had a couple. I've advised her to ask for a refund....
    LOL.

Wait... I think I hear the missus coming.
    HiggsBoson and solesman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymousmoose View Post
    Fixed thread title for clarity.

The latter.

I'd be interested seeing some before and after photos of their watches after such work being done.

The bezel inserts scratch quite commonly on semesters, wonder if they replace them?
    If you ask to, most likely, yes, but you'd probably have to wait for a few because older models dont generally have ready stock parts

I cant show any before after sorry, but Im heading to my Omega Service Centre tomorrow to order a halflink, I could reconfirm that question of yours, for you, I do have a seamaster myself so I could also use the information

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

duc

Re: Has anyone had their Omega go in for an overhaul?

Our man of the forums Al Archer (of Archer Watches) is a grand master. He performed servicing on a second hand 2254.50 I came into that had no service history (complete disassembly, cleaning, inspection and replacement of any parts deemed unworthy in his Omega trained, years of practice mind). He does the servicing for about what Omega charges (I don't remember the cost since I only retain that info if I feel taken advantage of). He provides a photo journal of everything he does from receipt to final assembly.

If you have a watch that needs servicing (performance irregularities, damage or just to comply with Omega's recommendations), get an Omega certified watchmaker to do it.

Don't ignore Omega's recommendations. Like any machine, it must be maintained to function properly. When lubricants dry up, the resulting damage will probably result in replacement of parts you may have avoided with routine maintenance as specified.
    cybercat likes this.

Re: Has anyone had their Omega go in for an overhaul?

I had an SMP done last year. I asked them to leave the dial and bezel alone as its nicely aged and didn't want them to replace one without the other as it would look terrible. The bracelet had a bit of wear to it so I also asked them to pay particular attention to the bracelet. This was all done in the price of the service. I think omega will insist on replacing the dial if theres any actual damage to it but I was impressed they left it all and the bracelet was completely re pinned a re finished to the point I thought it was a new bracelet.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information