Heirloom Watch

Thread: Heirloom Watch

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Heirloom Watch

My wife & I are expecting our first child.

My wife agreed that if we have a boy, I get to purchase an 'heirloom watch' that I will one day pass down to my son. My parents never did anything like this with me, so I'd like to start the tradition.

So, right now I am praying for a boy.

My plan with this watch is make it a semi-daily wearer, so I don't want anything too dressy or delicate. I'd like a watch that my son can one day say, "My dad wore this watch." Not, "My dad kept this watch in a safe and polished it every Saturday with a lint-free cloth."

As of right now, here is my initial list:

1. Bond-style Seamaster
    2. Planet Ocean 42mm in black
    3. Rolex Submariner (maybe)

I have quite a few watches, but this watch would certainly eclipse anything that I have in my current collection.

Can you guys make a recommendation for an Omega? Do you even think an Omega is a good choice for an heirloom? Will it hold up over the next 20 years and beyond?

Thanks for your help!
    -Matt

"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.."

Re: Heirloom Watch

Congratulations Matt!

Hope everything goes smoothly, and that everything works out well this time.

If I were in your position, what better time to grab a 9F equipped Grand Seiko, something you could definitely pass on to your son?

All the best,

Alex

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

If you want to go Omega, why not a Speedmaster? Timeless design. Incredible history.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

First of all, congratulations!

Great idea about getting a watch to pass on in the family. I think it's a great tradition.

I think an Omega will make a great heirloom, I have several that are over 30 years old and they are all great watches that still run perfectly. I miss the Speedmaster in your list, that's a classic already and will be over the years to come.
    Glashütte Original Panomaticlunar
    Omega Seamaster 300 "Bond" GMT 2535.80.00
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 145.012, cal. 321
    Omega Seamaster 145.019
    Omega Seamaster 176.007,
    Omega Seamaster 14364, cal. 321
    Omega Speedmaster Mark II 145.014
    Omega Speedmaster X33 Gen1 386.1998
    Omega Genève Electronic f300 Hz 198.0020
    Omega Seamaster 300

GJ

Congrats....

Fantastic idea, I did the same when my kids where born.
    When my daughter was born I bought me a nice Speedmaster Sapphire/Hesalite...

...and when my son was born I bought me a Submariner.

Two classics with fantastic movements, they both should last several lifetimes when proper serviced..

Again, great idea and I wish you luck and happy hunting..
    Kind Regards,
    GJ

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.....

Land of eternal sunshine (except when it rains)

I think its a great idea, regardless of which watch you end up choosing for the task. My only advice would be to pick a classic design that has withstood the test of time. You don't want to choose something that in a few years might fall out of favor and end up not being worn....
    Some examples were brought up in this thread:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...71378#poststop

FWIW - here is the Omega I inherited from my Grandfather:

Check out my collection at:

www.omegacollector.com

Congratulations!

My wife and I are in similar circumstances, but I have to admit that the thought of obtaining a heirloom watch hadn´t occurred to me. (Oh well, I guess there´ll be a watch or two in store for the offspring when that time comes, anyway... ;)

From the ones on your list, I´d go PO. No doubt about it. Why?

a) I am somewhat concerned that the Bond Seamasters will look dated in a few years - the skeleton hands are (IMHO) too special to possess the timeless quality a heirloom (Still IMHO) ought to have.

b) While the Sub already is a classic and still will be in a few decades´ time, there´s (Yet again IMHO) just too many of them out there. I am quite convinced that the PO is on its way to iconic status, and while Omega appears to have been selling them like hotcakes, I am sure there´s still 100 Subs out there for each PO.

PO. :)
    --
    -Odd Erling - Aalesund, Norway

Breitling Chrono Shark, Sinn 656, Omegas PlanetOcean 42mm (2201.50), 'Great White' (2538.20) and Speedmaster Professional (3572.50). Incoming: Apollo-Soyuz Speedmaster!

Buy the watch that you like! I'd think a sub would be spectacular. Give it to him when he graduates high school!

My Collection --> Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    My wife & I are expecting our first child.

My wife agreed that if we have a boy, I get to purchase an 'heirloom watch' that I will one day pass down to my son. My parents never did anything like this with me, so I'd like to start the tradition.
    So, right now I am praying for a boy.

As of right now, here is my initial list:

1. Bond-style Seamaster
    2. Planet Ocean 42mm in black
    3. Rolex Submariner (maybe)

Hey, what if its a girl, whats she gonna get?

My 2c, the PO 42mm. I have had one since my son has been about 3 (he's 6 now). Whenever I held him in my arms, he always would put his hand on the watch and play with the bezel as its easy to grip and rotate because its off the case by several mm. Not sure if he would have been able to do that with a Sub as I think the bezel is closer to the case, kinda like the SMP. No way he could turn the SMP bezel like that.

I always liked that interaction with him and you can rest assured he will be getting that watch when he's responsible enough to own it.
    I AM A WATCHAHOLIC

Congratulations...and yes, an Omega is a perfect heirloom watch.

If it were an Omega, I would choose from either the Speedmaster, or the Aqua Terra lines. Of course, the classic Rolex heirloom would be the Submariner or an Oyster Datejust.

Glimmer
    Glimmer

Fender Telecaster 1957 Re-issue

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information