WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

HELP! About to close the deal on a Speedmaster 4.5, advice needed!!

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  mrsnak 
#1 ·
So I'm about to close a local deal for a Speedmaster MK 4.5 (ref 176. 0012, Calibre 1045/Lemania 5100) for well under 1,000 dollars cash. The watch seems to be in good condition (it has been polished tho) but probably needs a full service. Can you guys take a look at the pics and let me know if you see anything wrong? How much will a service/mild restoration cost on one of these? Thanks! Pics below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cdjk/sets/72157626681271131

#3 ·
Your flickr gallery is private. No one but you can access it. Have no idea what specific advice to give you.
That being said, the 4.5 contains one of the most complicated movements Omega has made. Great watch when everything is right.
I got mine for a good price, and was running okay, but when I took it in for service (very important), once the watchmaker started tearing it down, evidence of moisture damage (rust) was everywhere. Everything had to be meticulously cleaned. After everything was said and done, and because the watchmaker charged far less than what Omega or Nesbit's would charge, I got a great deal. I did factor that service into the watch.

#4 ·
One note about Nesbit's - they will do a good job and they do have the machine that correctly polishes the case with a starburst finish (included in price).
I recently had a frustrating experience with them though. Sent them my Mark II for a case polish only. It had been fully rebuilt 5 years ago (pushers, movement, etc) and was running okay, though I hadn't timed it in a couple years (only wear a couple times a month).
I called them and they said that it was running poorly, and would require a complete overhaul - new pushers, seals, everything -$560!
I had them send the watch back to me.
Took it to my local watchmaker. It was running slow and a little erratically. He popped the caseback off, pulled out a loupe and after a couple minutes, goes "Ahhh!"
Puts his macro video camera on it and shows me a jewel on the screen. "See that?", he said. "Dirt on the jewel". Goes in the back, pops it out, cleans it, puts it back in and lubricates it. A quick regulation and $35 later, my watch is perfect and running +1 second a day. Seals, pushers and the rest of the watch required nothing.
He said that, on occasion, when a watch is cleaned ultrasonically and the watchmaker is not careful, some particles of old goo can remain. This mixes with the new lubricant and can cause problems.
Really disappointed with Nesbit's.
Will be taking it to the Swatch L.A. Service Center for a case polish. They have the machine.

#7 ·
Hi, i am no expert but i have also been searching for a mark 4.5. What i can see is that the starburst finish is polished off and it has a Spanish datewheel which means it could have originated in south america. I guess you should factor in a service right away and get the starburst finish restored and datewheels replaced. If i had bought i would also replace the dial and hands and get a $250 Omega 1162-172 bracelet. So if you want it in as new condition add +$1000 to what what you buying it for.

#8 ·
The Spanish datewheel is not a problem for me and was the one that came with the watch - You want original, not all new parts or parts that did not come with the watch. Dial looks great. That being said, a service will be in order and Bienne will not be cheap for this one. Shame the case is so polished, but hopefully you've factored all that in.
On a resto job like this, Nesbit's may save you some over Bienne. Closer and faster turnaround.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.