Help Identifying old Omega

Thread: Help Identifying old Omega

Help Identifying old Omega

Hi all!

I have this omega watch that belonged to my grandfather and I am trying to get some info on it. I have never opened it, so I do not know the calibre or reference no. All I can give you at the moment is these two pictures.

It is a steel/goldplated watch. The writing on the dial says Omega Automatic, Geneve and Swiss Made. On the back there is a big Omega symbol with OMEGA underneath.

Any idea what I have here? As it is in a pretty bad shape (cosmetically), I was thinking if it might be worth restoring it.

Thanks

Vassilis

Re: Help Identifying old Omega

Quote Originally Posted by HawkGt View Post
    Hi all!

I have this omega watch that belonged to my grandfather and I am trying to get some info on it. I have never opened it, so I do not know the calibre or reference no. All I can give you at the moment is these two pictures.
    It is a steel/goldplated watch. The writing on the dial says Omega Automatic, Geneve and Swiss Made. On the back there is a big Omega symbol with OMEGA underneath.

Any idea what I have here? As it is in a pretty bad shape (cosmetically), I was thinking if it might be worth restoring it.

Thanks

Vassilis
    Probably mid to late 1970s, based on the caseback. If that date is correct, movement is likely a 1000 series non-chronometer day-date, which was either calibre 1020 (17 jewels) or 1022 (23 jewels). These movements were produced roughly from 1972 until 1984, when Omega stopped making their own movements.

Decent movement, with most of the issues the earlier 1000 series had addressed.

Nice watch, likely able to be restored, although I haven't ever looked for parts on one just like it.

If you get it open, we can tell you more.

Sam

Probably 1974 calibre 752 MD166.0140
    Geneve was the more affordable line at Omega. Probably not worth spending too much money on restoration, unless it has sentimental value.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Just polish up or replace the crystal and polish up the case a bit.

If it runs fine, but it's bound to need a service as well.

As it is your grandfathers watch it will be a nice heirloom but put a nice leather strap on it as the crap metal bracelet it had previously has ruined the lugs.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website
    http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052/index.htm

Thread Information