Help me date this Omega Seamaster

Thread: Help me date this Omega Seamaster

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help me date this Omega Seamaster

This Seamaster belonged to a departed family member who wore it for many years.

Does anyone know the year this was produced and what movement it contains?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Land of eternal sunshine (except when it rains)

Re: Help me date this Omega Seamaster

Second one tonight that looks like it might be from the mid-late 1950's. likewise, probably an early full rotor automatic movement inside. The only real way to know the date and movement would be to open the case.

FWIW - watch needs some serious restoration.

Quote Originally Posted by es335 View Post
    This Seamaster belonged to a departed family member who wore it for many years.

Does anyone know the year this was produced and what movement it contains?

Thanks!
    Check out my collection at:

www.omegacollector.com

Quote Originally Posted by Joe K. View Post
    Second one tonight that looks like it might be from the mid-late 1950's. likewise, probably an early full rotor automatic movement inside. The only real way to know the date and movement would be to open the case.

I agree (Busy night for 50's Seamasters )

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Joe K. View Post

What's really amazing is that if you wind it up it still works. It belonged to my grandfather who died about 15 years ago. It hasn't been worn since.

I'm wondering if I should restore it or just let it be.

What's really amazing is that if you wind it up it still works. It belonged to my grandfather who died about 15 years ago. It hasn't been worn since.

Needs a new crystal, crown and the movement could use an oiling. As for the case, well, you have some damage to it but a good sonic clean and a delicate polish might smooth out the lugs a little without removing too much plate.

Does Omega service watches of this vintage? Do they still have parts? For example the one o'clock and six o'clock hour markers are missing. The scratches in the acrylic crystal could probably be polywatched out. Are there still parts for this movement, which I would assume would need a good maintenance and overhaul...

Would this be expensive to restore via Omega?

Does Omega service watches of this vintage? Do they still have parts? For example the one o'clock and six o'clock hour markers are missing. The scratches in the acrylic crystal could probably be polywatched out. Are there still parts for this movement, which I would assume would need a good maintenance and overhaul...

Would this be expensive to restore via Omega?
    Yes and yes. Omega does magnificent restoration on their watches but you pay big $$ for it. Local watchmakers can probably do the job cheaper but you have to know a good one who'll do the job right. I've got a watch repair guy working on my 1953 'Calendar' as we speak. I've ordered the parts for him and he'll do the work. He's been in business 25yrs and I know him so I trust him. If there was nobody here then I'd have Omega Canada do the work for me at a higher price.

The seals are most likely goo now and a lube would certainly be in order at the same time. That crystal looks really rough but it wouldn't cost you more than afew bucks and 1/2 an hour to try and bring it back with some polywatch or similar. The case could be spiffed up with a bit of Cape Cod cloth. Lugs look pretty worn, no easy fix there. Then if you like the looks of it and don't feel the need to spend major bucks you haven't reall altered it from your granddad's time.
    Nice heirloom, I hope you get the warm fuzzys when you wear it.

Don

Are there any reputable Omega repair gurus in the U.S. that do this kind of work?

Quote Originally Posted by quatre_temps View Post
    Yes and yes. Omega does magnificent restoration on their watches but you pay big $$ for it.
    What does Omega charge and how many weeks or months do they take?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information