Help needed: Removing crown stem from Omega Cal 671 (Seamaster Ladymatic, 1964)
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Robbo12
  • 1 Post By Robbo12
  • 3 Post By Archer

Thread: Help needed: Removing crown stem from Omega Cal 671 (Seamaster Ladymatic, 1964)

Help needed: Removing crown stem from Omega Cal 671 (Seamaster Ladymatic, 1964)

Hello all,

Multi-year lurker here - first time poster. I apologize in advance if I've committed any faux pas in this post. If so, please just let me know.

I'm in the process of cosmetically restoring an little lovely 22mm Omega Seamaster Ladymatic from 1964, running the Cal 671.

To this end, there are some tiny foreign objects on the dial I need to get to, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to remove the crown and stem so I can get the movement out.

It's all 0.6mm screws - no pushers - and I don't want to start messing with the wrong screw if I can avoid it.

Image below (not mine). I believe the Cal 670 has virtually the same setup if that helps anyone.

Name:  671Movement.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  140.5 KB

Many thanks in advance

Re: Help needed: Removing crown stem from Omega Cal 671 (Seamaster Ladymatic, 1964)

At a guess I would say its the small screw inline with the stem . I am not a watchmaker and i have only done my own watches with loose crowns . This is very important DO NOT REMOVE the screw completely ,just unwind a couple of turns and you will feel the crown/ stem go loose and come out with your fingers. If this doesnt work then a watchmaker will be able to sort for you.

I can not see what else it would be , I have a few Adolf Schild movements like this . I had a loose stem crown on a cheap little 50s dogma manual watch I own and this was how I managed to get the stem seated correctly
    kevinmcallister likes this.

Re: Help needed: Removing crown stem from Omega Cal 671 (Seamaster Ladymatic, 1964)

Many thanks for the input. That screw is also my main suspect, and I must admit I didn't know that tip about only giving it a couple of turns to remove the stem. I've only ever dealt with push buttons before. Your advice will probably save me a lot of grief, so cheers for that.

Hopefully someone else can chime in and confirm our suspicions as to which screw it is...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think you need to post this in the watchmakers section you will get a experienced answer from there ! But Im 90% sure its that smaller head screw thats in line with the stem.

I cant see you having to remove bridges ect before taking the crown out !!! But you NEVER ,EVER unwind that screw and take it out as you will have problems with re assembly of the key less works !!! I learnt that from here ,as another member did that with one of his watches and then had to strip and rebuild the keyless works !! All bridges off re oil ect !!
    kevinmcallister likes this.

The stem release screw is here:

Put the watch in the winding position, turn the screw CCW a 1/2 turn, then push down on the screw, and gently try to pull the stem out. If the stem doesn't move, unscrew another 1/2 turn, press down, and try again. I would not turn the screw more than 1.5 full turns - that may remove the screw from the setting lever, and you would need to remove the hands, dial, and calendar to put it all back together.

Note that when you put the stem back in, press down on the screw as you insert the stem, then tighten the screw, and check the function.

Of course if you have never done this type of thing before, it would be best to take it to a watchmaker, so use my instructions above at your own risk.

Cheers, Al

Terrific. Many thanks for that truly excellent advise. Currently waiting for a 0.45mm screwdriver to arrive so I can follow those steps. Cheers!

Thread Information