Help with old omega movement cal please pre omega?

Thread: Help with old omega movement cal please pre omega?

Question Help with old omega movement cal please pre omega?

Hi,
    can i get some information on this pre omega movement?
    the serial dates the movement to 1895-1902
    thank you

Re: Help with old omega movement cal please pre omega?

Maybe try over on the Vintage/Pocket Watch forum.

The may not be as dismissiv....er...I mean they may be more helpful.

stumped. the serial is 1, 90x.xxx which should put production of that mvmnt around 1899-02 but not sure that was made to go inside a wrist case. Not sure who's case that is and why its not signed Omega on the movemnt? A service movement perhaps? however-if someone here can authenticate your watch as having been in its current carnation at some point in its past (such as military service or some such...) then possibly you will come closer to landing a more precise model and/or name. good l;uck
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Question Re: Help with old omega movement cal please pre omega?

Quote Originally Posted by DaBaeker View Post
    stumped. the serial is 1, 90x.xxx which should put production of that mvmnt around 1899-02 but not sure that was made to go inside a wrist case. Not sure who's case that is and why its not signed Omega on the movemnt? A service movement perhaps? however-if someone here can authenticate your watch as having been in its current carnation at some point in its past (such as military service or some such...) then possibly you will come closer to landing a more precise model and/or name. good l;uck
    thanks,
    I believe this was a pocket watch at the beginning, converted to the wrist watch case in the 20s-30s
    in
    Merger

Louis-Paul and César Brandt both died in 1903, leaving one of Switzerland's largest watch companies — with 240,000 watches produced annually and employing 800 people — in the hands of four young people, the oldest of whom, Paul-Emile Brandt, was not yet 24.
    Brandt was the great architect and builder of Omega.
    [... the omega branding came later.
    but its the cal that stumps me!
    just gotta know!

The base calibre looks a lot like a Cal.18SPB. However, and it's a pretty chunky however, it looks as if it has been massively fiddled with: the back end of the balance bridge looks to have been cut back by three or four mm and the whole movement seems to have had a couple of mm removed all round. This is fairly radical surgery and would definitely impact on the robustness of the movement.

What I can't discern is whether this was done by Omega and it is a new, unfamiliar calibre, or whether it was done afterwards to force the movement into that case. Personally I think the latter. I agree that the case looks as if it is from between the wars, but, by the standards of the day, it must have been grotesquely huge and there were smaller movements available.

So what is the size of the movement? I'm assuming around 37mm or so. If it is much smaller than that (which frankly I would expect otherwise as the idea of a 40mm plus size 'wristlet' watch in the thirties is one I am not hugely used to at this quality level) then we are looking at a completely different calibre that uses precisely the layout of the 18SPB and I am also stumped, but at least you have a direction to go in...

What it definitely is is a Franken. Frankly, I wouldn't be remotely surprised (especially if the case is 40mm or larger) if it was an early Ukrainian recase that has worn rapidly. Does it say anything on the case?
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity. Seneca

Thread Information