Help with possible purchase 1972/3 Omega Seamaster Jedi

Thread: Help with possible purchase 1972/3 Omega Seamaster Jedi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with possible purchase 1972/3 Omega Seamaster Jedi

Looking for some guidance in the Omega Seamaster "Jedi" dating about 1972/3. What is the possible worth? This would mark my first Omega purchase. I think the piece is great looking, but at this price, I would consider it investment. Ref ST 176.0005
    Attached Images Attached Images

**BREJM**

Currently in the box...
    Breitling Steelfish
    Rolex Deepsea
    Jaeger-Lecoultre Mechanical
    Vollmer Master Pilot
    Suunto Core Steel

Favorite Watch Straps:
    http://www.k-straps.com/
    http://www.vintagerstraps.com/

Land of eternal sunshine (except when it rains)

Re: Help with possible purchase 1972/3 Omega Seamaster Jedi

Very cool watch and not all that common. That being the case, it is some what difficult to determine value. Does the watch come with the original box and papers? Condition looks good, although I see a scratch ? I think this model is a bit of an oddball. It is less common than the 176.007, yet does not sell that well when it comes up. I honestly think that the design of the case, which I think is cool, has limited appeal to non-collectors.

Lets look at a few examples:

Lot 152 at Omegamania - this lot sold for 3200 CHF (2560US$ at 4/2007). Given Omegmania results -this price is on the high end of the scale.

There have also been a few listed on eBAY.
    Two gold plated examples (less desirable then the stainless) listed for 2,295$ and 1299$ and did not sell.

There were a couple of Stainless examples listed, but one seems a bit odd and the other was was bid up to 840$ and did not meet the reserve.

So you can see there are limited sales and its hard to place a value. My estimate based on the current market conditions would be in the 1000US$ range for a nice example. My 2c.
    Check out my collection at:

www.omegacollector.com

First off, this ain't a "Jedi". This phrase was coined by the late, great Chuck Maddox to describe the Seamaster ref.145.024.

NOT the TV dial 176.005.

Here is a pic of the "Original" Jedi.

See: http://chronomaddox.com/omega/watche.../145.024-1.jpg

And see this for more info:

http://www.chronomaddox.com/dimensio...ted_omega.html

If you like the style of the case and the watch, I'd say look for a nice example for a bit less money. The seller is probably charging more thinking it might be the rare "Jedi".

But it is not and it is in fact the more common TV style.

By the way, I look all the time and I've never seen a ref. 145.024 for sale...ever
    Omega Speedmaster 20th Anniversary 1450 Bracelet
    Omega 2264
    IWC 3767-02
    Seiko 7A48-7050 FishingMaster
    Citizen Mission Antartica
    Casio MD-703 Gold/White/Black Dial
    Casio MQD 2000W PVD Case

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

thank you. This whole "jedi" name for the 'pilot' or TV dial version od the 1040 has been bugging me in a minor way for a few months now. I thought there was some odd looking semi-futuristic model of this watch that was hence- called the Jedi?
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Quote Originally Posted by watchking1 View Post
    By the way, I look all the time and I've never seen a ref. 145.024 for sale...ever
    Here is one
    I see them coming up quite regularly. Never with the silver dial and the raised markers though, if this is the version you're after.

4 dial versions:
    2 with raised markers (sunburst rhodium or sunburst white)
    2 with tritium markers (sunburst blue or charcoal grey) and orange hands

There was also a limited edition 1973 (1st World Football Day), with the grey dial and a caseback like this one:

Last edited by Wytnucls; January 30th, 2009 at 09:39.

As Joe says, the watch is not very popular. You should be able to pick up a very good one for less than €1,000.00.
    Several dial versions for the steel case: all with raised markers, silver, sunburst blue, deep blue, etc...
    Stay away from the gold-plated version.

Here is one with a dial similar to the one on the Yacht Timer, which may not be original to this watch, although the seller claims it is:

Last edited by Wytnucls; January 30th, 2009 at 10:00.

All,
    Thank you for you help. I spoke with the seller and it doesn't include the box or paperwork. But he does claim that it has been serviced. The current asking price is $1,000 USD with $50.00 USD shipping. I may let is pass considering the lack of supporting docs and current market.
    **BREJM**

Currently in the box...
    Breitling Steelfish
    Rolex Deepsea
    Jaeger-Lecoultre Mechanical
    Vollmer Master Pilot
    Suunto Core Steel

Favorite Watch Straps:
    http://www.k-straps.com/
    http://www.vintagerstraps.com/

You're not going to find a much better deal than this. Original papers with a watch dating from the 70s, is a pretty scarce occurence. If you like the watch, I would recommend you buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by breijm View Post
    Looking for some guidance in the Omega Seamaster "Jedi" dating about 1972/3. What is the possible worth? This would mark my first Omega purchase. I think the piece is great looking, but at this price, I would consider it investment. Ref ST 176.0005
    The seller's been trying to sell this watch on various Hungarian forums as well. as a matter of fact he's been listing this on eBay for months now. his starting price is jumping from $800 to $999 without luck of selling it... If nobody bought it for $800, why would anybody buy it for $999. I think if you wait, he'll go lower...

regarding watchking's post, even though Chuck named a different version of the Seamaster Jedi, every time I type in Jedi on eBay or Google, this TV version is the one popping up, I've NEVER seen the other version as a search result....

Quote Originally Posted by Wytnucls View Post
    Stay away from the gold-plated version.
    I have one, and even though it is not so desirable among collectors for obvious reasons, it was a price I couldn't resist...

-Blaise-

Antiquorum mistakenly called it a 'Jedi' during Omegamania, so everybody does too since then...hoping to get better prices for their watches, I guess.
    Makes it look like collectors are really smitten with this one!
    Last edited by Wytnucls; January 31st, 2009 at 07:50.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information