Help! Repairing Omega Seamaster
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Help! Repairing Omega Seamaster

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2

    Help! Repairing Omega Seamaster

    Hello,
    My name is Jeff, and I am a new member at Watchuseek. I inherited a 1950s Seamaster from my grandfather that has not been serviced for 30+ years and whose crystal is broken, so it is not working. I took it to a local watchmaker (by the way, I live in Franklin, TN), who said he did not have the parts to repair it. When he contacted Omega to request them, he was told I must mail it to them directly. Reading about your comments advising against sending it, I became unsure of what I should do. To whom should I take my watch? Does anyone know a competent watchmaker? Also, is FastFix a good repair shop for vintage watches?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    147

    Re: Help! Repairing Omega Seamaster

    Quote Originally Posted by M.A. Jeff View Post
    Hello,
    My name is Jeff, and I am a new member at Watchuseek. I inherited a 1950s Seamaster from my grandfather that has not been serviced for 30+ years and whose crystal is broken, so it is not working. I took it to a local watchmaker (by the way, I live in Franklin, TN), who said he did not have the parts to repair it. When he contacted Omega to request them, he was told I must mail it to them directly. Reading about your comments advising against sending it, I became unsure of what I should do. To whom should I take my watch? Does anyone know a competent watchmaker? Also, is FastFix a good repair shop for vintage watches?
    I’m sure there are a handful of other people you could find through here to help


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Member lo_scrivano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,718

    Re: Help! Repairing Omega Seamaster

    Jeff please do not use Fast Fix. You go there for a battery change not to restore a vintage Omega. You need to find a local watch maker with experience with such watches. And if you can’t find one then mail it to one of the many such watch makers that will do business in the US. They will need to quote you after they examine the watch.

    If you post some photos it would help but I think you are looking at $400-$600 depending on what you need done. Omega would charge you thousands so don’t even think about sending to them.
    There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member anonymousmoose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    8,762

    Re: Help! Repairing Omega Seamaster

    Why would sending it to Omega be a bad idea?

  6. #5
    Member rfortson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    10,473

    Re: Help! Repairing Omega Seamaster

    For a vintage Seamaster, Omega will do a fine job but they will charge you a premium, probably right at $1000 ( not "thousands" as mentioned above), and it will take 6+ months. I've sent two dress watches to Omega, a Constellation and a ladies watch and both were restored beautifully. However, you need to tell them explicitly what you do and don't want done.

    Many collectors don't want any cosmetic work done on a watch because it removes much of the history of the watch. If that's the case with your watch, then you should be able to find an independent watchmaker that will service the movement and get the watch running well. And it shouldn't cost more than ~$500, and probably much less.

    In your area, I'm sure there are good watchmakers. Go to a top local jeweler that sells fine mechanical watches and ask who they use to service their watches.

    Post some pictures of the watch and you'll get better suggestions.

    Good luck!

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    [email protected] likes this.

  7. #6
    Member lo_scrivano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,718

    Re: Help! Repairing Omega Seamaster

    Quote Originally Posted by anonymousmoose View Post
    Why would sending it to Omega be a bad idea?
    Because the quote is 5x to 10x what a local watch maker will charge you. I’ve experienced this twice now and have had it confirmed by forum members. You can search the forums for “vintage omega repair” and find similar info.

    Omega quote to restore my grandfather’s 1956 Seamaster $3K. Actual paid to local watch maker $550.
    There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going

  8. #7
    Member jordangbj@aol.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,644

    Re: Help! Repairing Omega Seamaster

    Quote Originally Posted by lo_scrivano View Post
    Jeff please do not use Fast Fix. You go there for a battery change not to restore a vintage Omega. You need to find a local watch maker with experience with such watches. And if you can’t find one then mail it to one of the many such watch makers that will do business in the US. They will need to quote you after they examine the watch.

    If you post some photos it would help but I think you are looking at $400-$600 depending on what you need done. Omega would charge you thousands so don’t even think about sending to them.
    How can you say that Omega will charge thousands when you haven't even seen a photo of the watch, let alone know what is wrong with it?
    I would respectfully suggest you keep your ill-informed advices to yourself in future.
    rfortson and Mouse_at_Large like this.

  9. #8
    Member jordangbj@aol.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,644

    Re: Help! Repairing Omega Seamaster

    Quote Originally Posted by lo_scrivano View Post
    Because the quote is 5x to 10x what a local watch maker will charge you. I’ve experienced this twice now and have had it confirmed by forum members. You can search the forums for “vintage omega repair” and find similar info.

    Omega quote to restore my grandfather’s 1956 Seamaster $3K. Actual paid to local watch maker $550.
    Can you post a pic of Omega's quote for $3k? I'm sure you would have kept it. I'm sure the forum members would like to know what work they were quoting for.
    rfortson and Mouse_at_Large like this.

  10. #9
    Member lo_scrivano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,718

    Re: Help! Repairing Omega Seamaster

    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Can you post a pic of Omega's quote for $3k? I'm sure you would have kept it. I'm sure the forum members would like to know what work they were quoting for.
    You sound suspicious of my statement? I do not have the quote saved. I probably put a photo of it in the original post on this topic. I will look through my post history but anyone here can also do that.
    There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going

  11. #10
    Member lo_scrivano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,718

    Help! Repairing Omega Seamaster

    See edit reason
    Last edited by lo_scrivano; 4 Weeks Ago at 20:32. Reason: Deleting my post as I don’t want to get into an argument for being accused of being ill-informed or possibly a liar.
    There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •