Hesalite or Sapphire Sandwich Speedmaster? - Page 2
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Hesalite or Sapphire Sandwich Speedmaster?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Hesalite or Sapphire Sandwich Speedmaster?

I had both models (hesalite in front, sapphire in front) and prefer the hesalite over sapphire in the front for sure due to the milky ring of the sapphire. There are no new models with hesalite in the front and sapphire in the back; if you are willing to buy an older watch look for a 3572.50 (available with older tritium dial or newer luminova dial) or a 3592.50 (tritium dial) and will have that combination. My 3592.50 says hi:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by fskywalker; July 18th, 2019 at 23:40.
    Francisco
    Ω 2535.80 / 3592.50 / 2232.30 / 2504.52 / 168.022
    16610 / 18239

Re: Hesalite or Sapphire Sandwich Speedmaster?

Selecting the sapphire crystal version doesn't change the history of the watch. I would HATE scratching the hesalite crystal. The sapphire crystal would give me piece of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by raohamid View Post
    Ok folks, after deliberating between a Zenith El Primero and Speedmaster, the logical choice for me is the Omega. Simply because Zenith ADs are not in my country, but Omega is well represented. I don't want the hassle of sending an expensive watch overseas for service/issues, and the Zenith has stories all over the web of requiring service more often than the Omega chronograph. Which brings me to a new dilemma, if it were you, and you didn't really care about the NASA/space legacy as much, which would you chose between the sapphire sandwich and hesalite moonwatch. I hate, completely despise, would die, if I saw scratches on my crystal. Seems like I've answered my own question, but still interested in your views.

Cheers, Rao.
    Naturally, look at them both. The hesalite crystal is really easy to polish out with Polywatch, Iíve used it for about three years now. I donít sweat simple scratches.
    The hesalite also gives the dial a very clear and warm feel. Look at them both side by side and you may see what I mean.
    Iím an original icon kind of guy (Speedy, Submariner, Reverso) so I leaned more to the 1861 movement and hesalite crystal. Only a few pieces have been updated since it came out in 1957. Itís a lifetime watch, one that is also an heirloom that will go to my 11 year old son.

Either way, you canít go wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    fskywalker likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

hesalite for me as well. I mean I get the appeal of open case-back, but how often are you going to be looking at it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I vote for hesalite. Granted, that's what I own, so I may be biased. However, I chose the hesalite because it gives the dial a different (i.e. - cooler) look than sapphire. As someone else mentioned, it's not as if hesalite is available on any other watches. To me, that makes it a unique choice. As for scratches, I simply use toothpaste and a q-tip every few months and buff them right out. It literally takes less than two minutes.
    JLC Master Hometime / Grand Seiko 9R65 Spring Drive LE / Omega Speedy Pro / Omega PO 8800

Yet another fan of hesalite here, but sounds like sapphire might be better option for you.
    Cheers, M

"Both feet on the floor, two hands on the wheel, may the wind take your troubles away."

- Son Volt -

I would choose the Sapphire Sandwich for the following reasons:

1) The sapphire is more durable unless you are actually planning on going to space
    2) The sapphire model is a bit thinner, roughly 1mm if I remember correctly
    3) The sapphire model uses a slightly more decorated movement (1863 vs 1861 in the hesalite version)
    4) It's awesome to see the above mentioned movement via the display caseback

I get the arguments that the hesalite version is more historically correct but nobody buying this watch will be using it for the intended purpose, so I would rather get the one that's got better specs while still maintaining the classic design.

- Brovsko
    Londonboy likes this.

I personally like the plastic crystal and it's very easy to polish. I do it maybe a couple of times a year. But viewing the movement is a plus in my book. My only problem with the sapphire on the Speedmaster is the "milky ring" around the outside. I have other watches with domed sapphire crystals but only the Speedmaster has this problem. It would bug me, but lots of people don't notice it/mind it.

It scratches easily. That's not a hyperbole. If you don't care for the "authentic feel", I'd recommend the Sapphire.

Full disclosure, I got the Hesalite and love it, but the thought of scratches scare me to no end so much that I'm thinking of trading it for a Sapphire sandwich. I won't, but I think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by rfortson View Post
    I personally like the plastic crystal and it's very easy to polish. I do it maybe a couple of times a year. But viewing the movement is a plus in my book. My only problem with the sapphire on the Speedmaster is the "milky ring" around the outside. I have other watches with domed sapphire crystals but only the Speedmaster has this problem. It would bug me, but lots of people don't notice it/mind it.
    The milky grey ring is of concern, I agree. I don't think the problem is the domed crystal, its the flat elevation of it versus the bezel that causes the halo.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information