Hesalite or Sapphire Sandwich Speedmaster? - Page 3
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Hesalite or Sapphire Sandwich Speedmaster?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: Hesalite or Sapphire Sandwich Speedmaster?

Quote Originally Posted by junta View Post
    It scratches easily. That's not a hyperbole. If you don't care for the "authentic feel", I'd recommend the Sapphire.

Full disclosure, I got the Hesalite and love it, but the thought of scratches scare me to no end so much that I'm thinking of trading it for a Sapphire sandwich. I won't, but I think of it.
    Thanks for your honest feedback, I feel I just wouldn't enjoy the watch if it had a hesalite crystal, i would have a nervous breakdown. It does look better with hesalite in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Just to make matters worse for myself, is there a version of the Speedy that has a white dial, date complication and a ceramic bezel? Or should I just ask for the moon? :)

Quote Originally Posted by raohamid View Post
    Thanks for your honest feedback, I feel I just wouldn't enjoy the watch if it had a hesalite crystal, i would have a nervous breakdown. It does look better with hesalite in my opinion.

Yes, Hesalite looks much clearer/cleaner than the Sapphire. An interesting problem to have, this is.
    raohamid likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Depends on what you value you, heritage or function. I love the hesalite version because of the history behind it but the crystal does mark up quickly. Don't mind it, but some people have a heart attack. In the case of sapphire sandwich, it looks beautiful from the face and the exhibiton caseback, but the crystal sits high up and there's the milky ring.

Do what your heart wants the most.
    raohamid likes this.
    -Ken

I owned the Hesalite model for a short time and loved it, but I too was always worried about the crystal. I’ve considered another Speedy and this time it would be the sapphire sandwich. I’m not an astronaut.
    raohamid likes this.

Just to make matters worse for myself, is there a version of the Speedy that has a white dial, date complication and a ceramic bezel? Or should I just ask for the moon? :)

Why yes there is one like that, but it's part of Speedmaster "Racing" and not a moonwatch if that matters.

The milky grey ring is of concern, I agree. I don't think the problem is the domed crystal, its the flat elevation of it versus the bezel that causes the halo.

Yes, the Bulova moon watch also has this. I don’t mind it, but YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by benvaz View Post
    Why yes there is one like that, but it's part of Speedmaster "Racing" and not a moonwatch if that matters.
    Dammit! Just checked. 44.25mm case size! High five for pointing it out though.

Get what you’ll enjoy, but honestly, scratches in the hesalite are a non-issue.

I’ve owned mine for years, never polished. I can probably find a few scratches with the perfect angle and lighting, but they’ve never even bothered me enough to polish them out yet.

My wife’s annoyed because she bought me polywatch I asked for and have never used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    my positive feedback - search "omega1300" in the feedback forum!

Ok folks, after deliberating between a Zenith El Primero and Speedmaster, the logical choice for me is the Omega. Simply because Zenith ADs are not in my country, but Omega is well represented. I don't want the hassle of sending an expensive watch overseas for service/issues, and the Zenith has stories all over the web of requiring service more often than the Omega chronograph. Which brings me to a new dilemma, if it were you, and you didn't really care about the NASA/space legacy as much, which would you chose between the sapphire sandwich and hesalite moonwatch. I hate, completely despise, would die, if I saw scratches on my crystal. Seems like I've answered my own question, but still interested in your views.

Cheers, Rao.
    If scratch resistance is your priority, you indeed answered your own question since hesalite (though you can buff it) is definitely going to scratch more easily.

Setting that aside, I also like the sapphire sandwich more.
    raohamid likes this.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information