Hesalite or Sapphire Sandwich Speedmaster? - Page 5
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Hesalite or Sapphire Sandwich Speedmaster?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: Hesalite or Sapphire Sandwich Speedmaster?

Beauty is a subjective, so I would advise you to go and see the watches in person.

The day I decided to get the Speedy, I was intent on getting the hesalite, but walked out with the sandwich. I was fortunate the AD had both and I got to try them out. Surprisingly, despite the tons of “milky ring is ugly” brainwashing on forums it doesn’t bother me at all.

I like the sapphire crystal; it provides a clear undistorted view of the dial. The milky ring doesn’t affect legibility. For me it gives a unique quirky vibe, as I’ve haven’t seen other watches with a milky ring yet.

Of course, the exposed movement steals the show. The finishing is beautiful and punches above its weight. The 1861/1863 is a very simple chronograph movement, but the finish really brings it to a different level.

Again, beauty is subjective. Go for what moves you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    raohamid, JDPNY and fskywalker like this.

A buddy of mine is big into this moonwatch, and while I prefer the sapphire for durability, he does prefer the hesalite due to the milky ring/clarity. To each their own!
    fskywalker likes this.

I own a hesalite sandwich. While the open caseback is a nice to have feature, it is not something I stare at often. But it's super useful to explain to ppl what a mechanical watch is. For sapphire vs hesalite, like many have pointed out here, stratches are mostly a non issue as hesalite scratches can be easily buffed out. So the most important question is do you prefer the look of box crystals or domed crystals?
    sculder and fskywalker like this.
    swinging a wall clock around like captain america's shield

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Aesthetics aside, another factor to consider when deciding between the two is magnetism. The hesalite model has a closed caseback and a Faraday cage and so the movement cannot be easily magnetized.
    fskywalker and Paulsky like this.
    " Two mighty torches of flame like the wings of a yellow bird of fire flew over a field, covered a field with a brilliant yellow bloomings of flame, and in the midst of it, white as a ghost, white as the white of Melville's Moby Dick, white as the shrine of the Madonna in half the churches of the world, this slim angelic mysterious ship of stages rose without sound out of its incarnantion of flame and began to ascend slowly into the sky, slow as Melville's Leviathan might swim, slowly as we might swim upward in a dream looking for the air............."

Norman Mailer describing the lift-off of Apollo 11.

Personal preference is the hesalite.
    fskywalker likes this.

I am with you about scratches on the crystal, however they would be easily polished out on hesalite. The whole see through case back...its a nice feature in theory, but wouldnt sway me too much.

Personally, I think I prefer the Hesalite...beautiful profile, and the way it catches the light!
    fskywalker likes this.

One negative of the sapphire sandwich is the 100m rating achieved by adding a second o-ring. My watch is very difficult to wind, taking it to a dealer to see if anything is wrong. When I release my crown while winding it actually backs up 1/4 turn.
    fskywalker likes this.
    Omega SMP Sapphire Sandwich
    Rolex Explorer 214270
    Seiko Turtle PADI
    Omega 300 Diver 42mm

i have the hesalite one, no regrets

fskywalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 68Deluxe View Post
    One negative of the sapphire sandwich is the 100m rating achieved by adding a second o-ring. My watch is very difficult to wind, taking it to a dealer to see if anything is wrong. When I release my crown while winding it actually backs up 1/4 turn.
    Interesting. Please let us know the diagnosis.
    fskywalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 68Deluxe View Post
    My sandwich is only rated 50m WR. Are we talking the same speedy here?

About the resistance in winding, it starts off a bit hard to wind when new. After a few more months it should get easier.

fskywalker likes this.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information