Hesalite or Sapphire Sandwich Speedmaster? - Page 7
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Hesalite or Sapphire Sandwich Speedmaster?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sculder View Post
    I too am struggling with the decision. I showed the comparison to my wife and briefly educated her on the differences. She said the sapphire-boxed dome made the watch look cheap. Lol!!!
    Sometimes the perspective of a non-watch lover (assuming your wife is like mine) is pretty invaluable! A nice balanced and truly objective perspective
    TempusFazool and sculder like this.

Re: Hesalite or Sapphire Sandwich Speedmaster?

I have one with the hesalite crystal and absolutely love it. It has a warmth to it which doesn't quite translate the same way through sapphire. I mostly work with my hands, stone restoration, and I bang the hell out of it. Polywatch works great. NASA chose hesalite for a good reason. Sapphire would have shattered long ago. I'm considering buying a sapphire caseback at which point Id have the best of both worlds.
    Current watch collection

Panerai Luminor PAM 562
    Hamilton Intramatic 68
    Hamilton Chrono-matic Ref. 11002-3
    Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical 38mm
    Hamilton Jazzmaster Chronograph
    Rolex Date-Just 16030
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 145.0022
    Omega Seamaster Cosmic 2000
    Caravelle Railroad
    Autodromo Prototipo Brian Redman Chronograph

DonFe- (@orariofisso) on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by horseShu View Post
    My sandwich is only rated 50m WR. Are we talking the same speedy here?

About the resistance in winding, it starts off a bit hard to wind when new. After a few more months it should get easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I bought the watch the ad at DavidSW said 100M. There was one post where another Sapphire owner said he was told by a dealer that the watch had an extra gasket to bump it from 50 to 100M. I talked to a boutique tech and he said I should be able to wind it with one finger. I tried a regular moonwatch he had and it was a night and day difference from mine. So, a few weeks later I brought the watch in and the tech said it was not defective. He then went on about not knowing how long the watch sat around before I bought it. I just checked the card I got with the watch and it says 5 bar water resistance, so I am a bit confused about this whole thing. My next step is to find a local watchmaker and see if they can check the crown seals.
    Omega SMP Sapphire Sandwich
    Rolex Explorer 214270
    Seiko Turtle PADI
    Omega 300 Diver 42mm

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I know I'm in the minority because everyone always talks about either the Hesalite or the Movement but I much prefer the engraved caseback to seeing the movement.. don't know why but it doesn't really interest me and engraved stainless steel does.. go figure... I also like how the Hesalite has the Omega logo engraved in the center of the crystal.. another plus for me.... Kinda like a little secret..

Name:  SpeedyPro-Moon-Back.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  232.5 KB
    Artek, Stretch44, shms59 and 1 others like this.

It's a beautiful movement IMO but having owned sapphire and hesalite I'd go with the classic all the way, and take the slight decrease in height as a bonus. I do wish they still made the hesalite/sapphire-wich, as a close to best-of-both-worlds compromise,

Quote Originally Posted by Thwizzit View Post
    I know I'm in the minority because everyone always talks about either the Hesalite or the Movement but I much prefer the engraved caseback to seeing the movement.. don't know why but it doesn't really interest me and engraved stainless steel does.. go figure... I also like how the Hesalite has the Omega logo engraved in the center of the crystal.. another plus for me.... Kinda like a little secret..

I am completely with you on this one. Solid steel caseback all the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Thwizzit View Post

Totally agree with you, there is something about the steel caseback that love. I wouldn't trade my hesalite for the sapphire sandwich.

Well, of course, you only see the movement when you have the watch off and are staring at it like Gollum at his ring. Still, it's a pretty amazing sight. One of the reasons I like high-quality mechanical watches is because they are such supremely well-crafted little machines. Seeing the movement in action adds to my appreciation of a watch.

That said, I bought the Sapphire Sandwich because one came on the market at a price I couldn't pass up for what was essentially a new watch. If a hesalite with a steel caseback had come along under similar circumstances, I would have bought it instead. Ultimately, what I wanted most was a Speedsmaster Professional. I'm new to this obsession. I can collect multiple variations of the same watch down the line.
    Last edited by Cheverian; 1 Week Ago at 18:43. Reason: spelling
    Stretch44 likes this.
    Omega Speedmaster Professional "Sapphire Sandwich" 311.33.42.30.01.001
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 600M 2201.50
    Omega Seamaster Diver 300M 2531.80
    Sinn 104 St Sa White
    Seiko SARB065 "Cocktail Time"
    Seiko SKX007
    G-Shock GW9400-1 Rangeman

I picked up a speedy for a mitsukoshi mod. After a huge thinking process I went with the Sapphire sandwich. I absolutely hate marks on the crystal and being quite OCD I think I would have polished the hesalite every week...

I prefer the SS

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information