Hesalite vs Sapphire; Still Can't Decide - Page 10
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Hesalite vs Sapphire; Still Can't Decide

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Re: Hesalite vs Sapphire; Still Can't Decide

Quote Originally Posted by 3005 View Post
    I bought a few different hesalite Speedmasters over the years because the consensus in the watch community is that it's the only "true" Speedmaster and therefore it's the only way to go. Despite loving the Speedmaster design overall, I never fully clicked with the hesalite and sold each one.

A few months ago I decided to give the sapphire a try and I wish I would have just went with my gut and got that in the first place. The dial clarity is better and the lack of microscratches is such a welcome addition. Yes, hesalite does buff out fairly well, but you'll always have microscratches in intense/bright light. Further, I've found that the "milky ring" is way less prevalent in actual use on the sapphire. I barely notice it at all. And finally, you get that gorgeous display back. The 1863 is a beauty to look at.

So my best advice is to go with your gut and don't let the masses sway you.

Attachment 13975693
    what bracelet is that?

I bought a few different hesalite Speedmasters over the years because the consensus in the watch community is that it's the only "true" Speedmaster and therefore it's the only way to go. Despite loving the Speedmaster design overall, I never fully clicked with the hesalite and sold each one.

A few months ago I decided to give the sapphire a try and I wish I would have just went with my gut and got that in the first place. The dial clarity is better and the lack of microscratches is such a welcome addition. Yes, hesalite does buff out fairly well, but you'll always have microscratches in intense/bright light. Further, I've found that the "milky ring" is way less prevalent in actual use on the sapphire. I barely notice it at all. And finally, you get that gorgeous display back. The 1863 is a beauty to look at.

Attachment 13975693
    what bracelet is that?

Attachment 13975693
    Wow great shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    3005 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hesalite!

Just got mine last week. If you want to skip the story scroll to TL;DR below.

Name:  speedy.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  300.4 KB

BACKGROUND: I've spent the better part of... a number of years saving up for this purchase. My poor wife has been driven round the bend with me bringing up hesalite/sapphire in conversation. Finally she said: "god damnit which one is more expensive?! Sapphire? OK - so there's your savings goal. I don't care. You're going to wear it. Look at both, try them both on, but pick the one that says yessssss this one." So I saved. And hemmed, and hawed. Oooh, sapphire means no scratches. I'm constantly banging my arms on door frames and the like, that'd be good...

Wait, antimagnetism to nil on the sapphire sandwich? And I lose the hippocampus and the NASA space-flight engraving thingy? Wait, if I bash the watch I'm going to catch and dent the bezel, too. Can I swim with i... oh shut UP, NO. Get a Seamaster coaxial chrono instead? Don't be an idiot, you dive, and no one presses a button at 90 feet. Diving is what your Seiko SKX007 and Citizen Aqualand Duplex are for. If they die, they're cheap (relatively) to replace!

Will I even like it? Bought a Fossil CH2600 to find out. ARGH. Fossil, you stink. There is no point to a tachymeter bezel if you put the chrono function on the SUBDIAL. RAAAAH. Buy a Citizen 0520. Hm. This is nice, but too big. Looks pretty. Funny. This $60 watch is bumping my 1957 Omega Constellation for wrist time. And the rack of lamb was timed perfectly. Handy feature.

ARGH: Sapphire vs Hesalite is KILLING ME. I don't know what to do! I know I'm prone to bashing it, but the price differential is... not insignificant. Now I learn that a replacement crystal for Sapphire is $400+, but for hesalite it's... $50? Huh.

But wait a minute. My '57 Constellation has hesalite. It's got a scratch here or there, sure... and an alarming sort of crack at 6 o'clock but I've fixed it plenty of times with polywatch. And that crystal is 57 ORIGINAL. Hunh. Guess I better get back to ripping all my Rolling Stones vinyl to MP3 because it doesn't sound right if I don't hear the lead-in and that pop 20 seconds into "Brown Sugar"...

Nah. I really want sapphire. Come on. It'll last my lifetime and more. Extra peace of mind.

TL;DR.

I got the hesalite.

30 seconds in the store and it was game over.

Milk ring! It just destroys the dial. That was it. I didn't care. Look from the side, see the step, yep. Done. Bye bye.

Soooo... since I had the money for the sapphire but went hesalite, I treated myself to a black crocodile strap, tan monte carlo strap, Bond NATO (black/green/red), Navy/Orange NATO, and an... Ottawa Senators NATO (Black/white/red/black).

With the difference, I took the good lady out for a tremendous dinner.

No regrets. None. Never ever.

Do the hesalite. :)

HOT TIP: If you do go hesalite, get a high-quality eyeglass cleaning cloth. The vast majority of eyeglass lenses (including Oakley) are still made from polycarbonate. Oakley sunglasses are bulletproof, sure, but prone to scratching unless you use the right tool to clean them. No different for a hesalite speedy.

Other thing I immediately noticed and I should have sooner: Hesalite is less prone to smudges. Compared to a mineral crystal Seiko SKX or sapphire Orient Star, it just doesn't happen. Fingerprints are nonexistent, for one thing. You might see dust here or there, so... blow it off.
    Last edited by clarosec; March 17th, 2019 at 06:13.
    dion.steve, sculder, jkpa and 2 others like this.
    2018 Omega Speedmaster Professional (calibre 1861) / 1957 Omega Constellation calendar (calibre 504) / 70's-80's Omega Seamaster De Ville Quartz (calibre 1342) / Orient Star Seeker (40P51) / Citizen Aqualand Duplex (C506) / Orient Journeyman (46K40)/ Seagull 1963 chrono 42mm (ST19) / Stuhrling Canterbury (ST-90050) / Casio AW 300 Yacht Timer / Seiko Ana-Digi (H-556) / Seiko SKX007 (7s26) / Invicta Pro Diver 8928OB (NH35A)

Quote Originally Posted by plansb View Post
    what bracelet is that?
    It's the "Solid 5 Link D Profile" from Watch Gecko. The endlink fit isn't perfect, but it's pretty close. It's been my go-to on the Speedy for awhile now!

Ω Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial • Stowa Antea KS • Seiko SKX007

I just went through buying a Speedmaster Pro, and went with the sapphire sandwich.

My reasons:
    -The current hesalite version isn't really historically accurate, since it doesn't have the 321 movement.
    -While I agree that the hesalite is warmer, I have no desire to have to polish scratches out of my crystal
    -I actually like the colder, more surgical crispness of the sapphire. The watch is a precision instrument, and it fits, in my opinion. The milky ring doesn't bother me.
    -That movement! I love flipping the watch over and seeing the components move. Yes, you can change the back, but the OP is buying new and wants to keep the warranty.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3005, clarosec and arcentaur like this.

Nice watch!

End of the day, the one you buy should be the one that works for you. I like playing with the hesalite distortions and looking at the tiny omega symbol and reading the caseback.

For different reasons, I like being able to see the dial on my Orient Star Seeker from just about any angle and being able to wipe off smudges with a paper napkin. Excellent travel/dress watch.

I like the Constellation with hesalite because in direct sun the tiny scratches make cool shadows on the dial.

I didn't wear any of those when I racked some beer this morning. That duty went to my el-cheapo Invicta 8928OB...

:)
    solesman likes this.
    2018 Omega Speedmaster Professional (calibre 1861) / 1957 Omega Constellation calendar (calibre 504) / 70's-80's Omega Seamaster De Ville Quartz (calibre 1342) / Orient Star Seeker (40P51) / Citizen Aqualand Duplex (C506) / Orient Journeyman (46K40)/ Seagull 1963 chrono 42mm (ST19) / Stuhrling Canterbury (ST-90050) / Casio AW 300 Yacht Timer / Seiko Ana-Digi (H-556) / Seiko SKX007 (7s26) / Invicta Pro Diver 8928OB (NH35A)

My vote is for the hesalite. I used to own one and it's the only watch I regret selling. I really enjoyed the domed look which played with the dial at different angles and lighting. Although I'll admit the scratches and the need to constantly polish it with Polywatch were a bit annoying to me. Try both on and see which sings to you the most.

Lastly, I would wait a week to see what Omega introduces at Basel this year. I am patiently waiting to see what they do with the 321 movement, since it's now back in production.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread Information