Hesalite vs Sapphire; Still Can't Decide - Page 11
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Hesalite vs Sapphire; Still Can't Decide

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by importstunna View Post
    Althouh I'll admit the scratches and the need to constantly polish it with Polywatch were a bit annoying to me.
    My God!! That sounds tedious. When you say "constantly", how often did you have to polish the Hesalite?

René
    Citizen Navihawk
    Momentum Supernova, Titan II, Aquamatic II (Blue Dial)
    OMEGA Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch (ref 310.30.42.30.01.005), Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial Chronometer (ref 233.30.41.21.01.001)
    Seiko SKX007 (Gone--gifted to my uncle)
    Steinhart Marine Chronometer II Roman (Unitas 6498), Nav. B-Chrono II DLC (ETA Valjoux 7750), Nav. B-Uhr II (Unitas 6497), Ocean One Vintage (ETA 2824-2) SOLD, Ocean One Vintage Red (ETA 2824-2) SOLD

Re: Hesalite vs Sapphire; Still Can't Decide

I bought a hesalite speedy a couple of months ago. I’ve been wearing it on and off at a desk job and for general casual wear, and there isn’t a mark on it.

I wouldn’t do manual labour in it, but then again I wouldn’t do manual labour in any 3.5k watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by importstunna View Post
    Lastly, I would wait a week to see what Omega introduces at Basel this year. I am patiently waiting to see what they do with the 321 movement, since it's now back in production.
    It may not be terribly germane to the discussion, but Swatch no longer participates in Basel.
    Omega Aqua Terra Master Co-Axial 8500 - Omega Diver 300M Master Chronometer - Seiko "Samurai" SRPC93

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jkpa View Post
    Nice - thank you for posting. I'm also trying to make a decision on which one to buy.

Andreas
    2019 Omega Speedmaster Professional (Hesalite) / 2004 Omega Seamaster 2599.80 / 2000 Omega Seamaster 2541.80 / 1957 Omega Seamaster Cal. 501 / 2000 Omega Constellation (L) / 2004 Omega Seamaster 2583.80 (L)

WnS

Quote Originally Posted by 3005 View Post
    I bought a few different hesalite Speedmasters over the years because the consensus in the watch community is that it's the only "true" Speedmaster and therefore it's the only way to go. Despite loving the Speedmaster design overall, I never fully clicked with the hesalite and sold each one.

A few months ago I decided to give the sapphire a try and I wish I would have just went with my gut and got that in the first place. The dial clarity is better and the lack of microscratches is such a welcome addition. Yes, hesalite does buff out fairly well, but you'll always have microscratches in intense/bright light. Further, I've found that the "milky ring" is way less prevalent in actual use on the sapphire. I barely notice it at all. And finally, you get that gorgeous display back. The 1863 is a beauty to look at.

So my best advice is to go with your gut and don't let the masses sway you.

Attachment 13975693
    Spoken like a champ. It takes a real man to stand up to the purists for the sake of practicality. A bit like admitting to driving an automatic Camaro. Works better in city traffic than a manual.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    BufordTJustice likes this.
    I'm content with my watch collection

Hesalite dude. I went back and forth searching online. I loved the clear sapphire back but ended up going Hesalite for the more traditional look closest to the original NASA version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3592.50 hesalite and sapphire sandwich

Name:  971f01b682d513efcbf204abbf259ea5.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  117.5 KB
    rfortson likes this.
    Dan

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......
    My Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/barny.1976/

Current

Ω Omega Speedmaster 3592.50
    Ω Omega Planet Ocean Liquid Metal Limited Edition
    Apple Watch Series 3

Gone

Ω Omega Seamaster 300 60th Anniversary Limited Edition
    Rolex Submariner 114060
    Ω Omega 36mm Railmaster

Ω Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre Limited Edition
    Ω Omega 38mm Aqua Terra "Skyfall"
    Ω Omega Speedmaster 3873.50 Sapphire Sandwich
    Ω Omega Aqua Terra 39mm Starburst blue dial
    Ω Omega Planet Ocean 2209.50
    Ω Omega Seamaster 2254.50

Quote Originally Posted by JStyles View Post
    I just went through buying a Speedmaster Pro, and went with the sapphire sandwich.

My reasons:
    -The current hesalite version isn't really historically accurate, since it doesn't have the 321 movement.
    -While I agree that the hesalite is warmer, I have no desire to have to polish scratches out of my crystal
    -I actually like the colder, more surgical crispness of the sapphire. The watch is a precision instrument, and it fits, in my opinion. The milky ring doesn't bother me.
    -That movement! I love flipping the watch over and seeing the components move. Yes, you can change the back, but the OP is buying new and wants to keep the warranty.
    Beautiful watch and I can't really argue with your reasoning. We all like what we like. However, I've highlighted your first point as it's not exactly correct. The 861 most likely went to the moon as well (there were a few in the astronaut corp during Apollo since it came out in the late 60's), and the 1861 is very close to the same movement. Plus, the 1861 has flown many times in space, so it's still a piece of space qualified hardware you can buy.

That said, the display back is a great benefit. I think the movement is great to look at. While I prefer the plastic original version, I can see why people can prefer the sapphire version.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan II View Post
    My God!! That sounds tedious. When you say "constantly", how often did you have to polish the Hesalite?

René

Agreed. I must admit, I have to polish mine at least 2-3 times a year. It gets quite tedious. ;)

With me, I chose the Hesalite crystal when I bought my Speedy. I wanted the watch to look moon watchish. When I think of the Speedmaster, I think about the moon watch. For me it had to be hesalite and manual winding

Any other Omega watch, I would be down with the sapphire crystal but the Speedmaster is different for me.

Of course i collect vintage watches so I am use to plastic crystal watches.

Quote Originally Posted by WnS View Post
    Spoken like a champ. It takes a real man to stand up to the purists for the sake of practicality. A bit like admitting to driving an automatic Camaro. Works better in city traffic than a manual.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Never said there was anything wrong with it, and I'm no "321 or bust" purist. I wanted new, so I could put the idiot marks on it myself. I thought I wanted sapphire, until I tried them on side by side. I have a 1957 Constellation already. To see the micro-scratches you need to look at it juuuust right. Head-on, you'd never know. so the 60+ year-old watch is doing fine. A brand-new Speedy will also do fine with hesalite.

I'm really glad Omega offers both versions, frankly, specifically to cater to people's preferences.

I might eventually get a display back, but I really like the hippocampus + engraving.

Oh, other thing which applies to sapphire or hesalite models and this new owner just learned: It's really light when you remove the bracelet and put it on a strap! Surprisingly so.
    2018 Omega Speedmaster Professional (calibre 1861) / 1957 Omega Constellation calendar (calibre 504) / 70's-80's Omega Seamaster De Ville Quartz (calibre 1342) / Orient Star Seeker (40P51) / Citizen Aqualand Duplex (C506) / Orient Journeyman (46K40)/ Seagull 1963 chrono 42mm (ST19) / Stuhrling Canterbury (ST-90050) / Casio AW 300 Yacht Timer / Seiko Ana-Digi (H-556) / Seiko SKX007 (7s26) / Invicta Pro Diver 8928OB (NH35A)

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread Information