Hesalite vs Sapphire; Still Can't Decide - Page 4
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Hesalite vs Sapphire; Still Can't Decide

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Re: Hesalite vs Sapphire; Still Can't Decide

Saphire, why buy a watch that will get scratched and you then have to mess about polishing. The clarity from new is then always affected. Saphire always remains perfect.
    HiggsBoson likes this.
    If I fail to reply to your inane post just assume you are on the ignore list.

I bought a knackered clock.... https://carlsclock.blogspot.com/ Updated 29/4/19

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyeMan View Post
    So, I'm getting close to purchasing a Speedmaster Pro, really close!
    But I still can't decide between the 2 versions.
    I'll be purchasing new to get the full Omega warranty and have found the watch at a nice discount.
    Now, I know all the arguments, pluses, minuses for both and I'm still at a loss.
    Tell me something I haven't heard in the "Hesalite vs Sapphire" debate please.
    For those of you who have owned both versions, I'd especially like to hear from you.
    Anything to help make the decision easier will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    I’m stuck between the two also. My main concerns are that hesalite scratches easily but can be polished out and it’s like $30 for a replacement while sapphire is harder to scratch but costs a lot more to replace

Quote Originally Posted by Royal68 View Post
    I’m stuck between the two also. My main concerns are that hesalite scratches easily but can be polished out and it’s like $30 for a replacement while sapphire is harder to scratch but costs a lot more to replace
    I wear daily a SMPc with saphire, it is over twenty years old and is as new. I would not bother worrying about replacing a saphire crystal.
    If I fail to reply to your inane post just assume you are on the ignore list.

I bought a knackered clock.... https://carlsclock.blogspot.com/ Updated 29/4/19

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

As you can gather OP it really is a personal decision. I’ve had the Pro hesalite and now the 60th anniversary hesalite and aside from the scratches there really isn’t any other downside.

I’ve compared the sandwich, FOIS and there is something more charming about the hesalite - it carries more warmth and character while the sapphire is still nice but I feel it is more a logical choice (mainly chosen for durability) rather than an emotional one.

At the end you have to love your watch otherwise so best of luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Watches
    Omega
    Speedmaster 1957 (60th Anniversary) Casio G Shock (GMW-B5000GD-1)

Sold Watches
    Omega
    Aqua Terra (2503.33.00)
    Omega Speedmaster (3570.50) IWC Portugieser (IW3714-46) IWC Pilot (IW3777-19) Tag Heuer Monaco (CAW211B) Tag Heuer Grand Carrera (WAV5111) Casio G Shock (GX-56DGK-1, GLS-5600CL-3, , DW-5600MS-1)

I have a different version in the Moon Watch family (9300) and love it but that is not what I am suggesting.

When doing my research for the Speedy that would work best for me one other difference I came across is regarding the movements in the Speed Pro and perhaps others can elaborate:
    The Hesalite movement with the closed case back has a plastic (delrin?) component that some had said doesn't quite have as high a level of finishing vs. the display back (all metal components) which has a slightly upgraded movement (better finishing) because it is on display.
    Craig

I’m in the same boat (close to buying a Pro) and I’m going hesalite no question. This is the sapphire version on my wrist and the hesalite in hand. The milky ring is a real thing and not attractive. If you want logic, buy an affordable with sapphire. The Speedy is an emotional buy and shouldn’t be burdened with the pressures of being “the smart choice”. Choose with your heart.

Jguitron likes this.

+1 for hesalite

Had both FOIS and Speedy Pro hesalite
    The warm tone (plus the tritium lume) of the hesalite just makes the watch extra special. After few week owing both, sold the FOIS and couldn’t be happier with my Speedy Pro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hesalite crystal shape looks better and is more domed. Sapphire milky ring bothers me. However I do prefer the clarity and quality feel of sapphire over the hesalite. Hesalite also feels kind of cheap to me. With all that said the Speedy just looks better with hesalite. If you want sapphire go FOIS. It seems to work better on that watch, IMO.

I have a sapphire sandwich. The milky ring does not bother me and if it does, I just flip it around for a minute, see beautiful movement in a sapphire caseback, and that makes up for it.

The hesalite has a beautiful dome shape that the sapphire lacks and engraved stainless steel case back. If you want to see the movement, you can always get aftermarket caseback. But the 1861 movement in the hesalite is not as finished as the 1863 in the sapphire with metal brake, which is intended to be displayed. Still, both are beautiful movements.

In my opinion, the true moonwatch is the one that went to the moon or 1960s version with caliber 321. Everything else that we have is just a derivation and variation of that watch. So one is not better than the other... more desirable, maybe. Either way, I think you'd be happy with either one.

Don't worry about scratches on the hesalite (you can polish it off) or sapphire (scratch proof), if you are like me, you'd be more heartbroken with scratches on the case and bracelet.

When I went through YouTube reviews of the moonwatch, I even heard some guy as preferring the FOIS than the moonwatch because everyone has a moonwatch whereas FOIS is rare. So figure that. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.watchuseek.com/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif[/IMG]

By the way, I attached pictures of my watch for reference to the milky ring and everything else. Hope it helps in your decision.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by dududuckling; March 2nd, 2019 at 23:09.
    OneEyeMan likes this.
    If you follow your head, you will always wonder. If you follow your heart, you will make it work.

Hesalite. I prefer the vintage look!

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information