Hesalite vs Sapphire; Still Can't Decide - Page 8
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Hesalite vs Sapphire; Still Can't Decide

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Re: Hesalite vs Sapphire; Still Can't Decide

I absolutely love the Hesalite

Every watch today has a sapphire crystal (which make the Hesalite even cooler and more unique)

Totally love the engraved stainless steel back and think it's much cooler than seeing the movement

Name:  SpeedyPro-Moon-Back.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  232.5 KB

The Hesalite is smooth while the sapphire has a step......
    Name:  hesalite-sapphire_body2-2017-09-15-10-11-37-086.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  86.0 KB

Is it possible to buy a clear caseback, whether an OEM or third-party part? If you like the "vintage" vibe of Hesalite and lower cost, that would solve one of the big draws for the sapphire model. A big consideration with sapphire is that if you'll panic about scratches, the sapphire is a less stressful option.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've owned my Speedy with hesalite for maybe 25 years now. I don't baby it and have maybe polished the crystal once, just to see how it looked. If I'm looking for them, there are tiny (tiny!) micro-scratches on the crystal, but you have to really look for them under a strong light. Regardless, I don't mind them at all. Honestly, I think it comes down to what type of guy you are. I prefer my jeans well-worn and my knives with patina. I rarely get dressed up (though I do care about clothes) and so for me, the hesalite fills the bill. If you like to wear fancy dress clothes and have to have every hair in place, get the sapphire. Honestly, I worry less about scratching my Speedy than I do scratching the ar coating on some of my sapphire watches.
    dion.steve and solesman like this.

Here's a pic Name:  APC_8992.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  1.63 MBof my old lump of coal, bought used in '92 or so. Strong side light shows the scratches on the crystal, which don't bother me a bit. You'll never notice them looking directly at the watch. But again, depends on the type of guy you are; understanding that should make it easy...

What’s great about the hesalite is the really cool and unique distortion it lends to the dial at certain angles. I think that is what people mean by its ‘warmth’. Aesthetically it blows the sapphire out of the water. The scratches are a total non-issue. Good luck and here are a couple of pics to show what I mean.
    Attached Images Attached Images

solesman and bobs100 like this.

Others have laid out the differences pretty well.

In my case I had a pre-sapphire sandwich, c.95, 863 model which I thought would be the perfect balance between vintage look from the front with its Hesalite lens and a very modern sapphire window over its golden movement at the back. The problem was the sapphire back was a sweat magnet in the summer that made the watch very uncomfortable. I eventually flipped it for an IWC Mk 12, which I eventually flipped for a P series Rolex GMT-II.

A few more years passed and my now wife bought me an 1861 as an engagement present. It’s by far and away a more comfortable watch on the wrist than the 863 and the Hesalite it just great. The main difference I’ve found between the Rolex and the Speedy Pro is that the Rolex sapphire lens is a smudge magnet that I’m forever wiping, while the Omega just always looks great.

BTW, if you’re worried about scratches buy yourself a tube of Polywatch and give it a polish when you feel the need.
    arcentaur and bobs100 like this.

Go for hesalite! Sapphire is a fingerprint magnet that gets pretty annoying at times

This!

Quote Originally Posted by roseskunk View Post
    I've owned my Speedy with hesalite for maybe 25 years now. I don't baby it and have maybe polished the crystal once, just to see how it looked. If I'm looking for them, there are tiny (tiny!) micro-scratches on the crystal, but you have to really look for them under a strong light. Regardless, I don't mind them at all. Honestly, I think it comes down to what type of guy you are. I prefer my jeans well-worn and my knives with patina. I rarely get dressed up (though I do care about clothes) and so for me, the hesalite fills the bill. If you like to wear fancy dress clothes and have to have every hair in place, get the sapphire. Honestly, I worry less about scratching my Speedy than I do scratching the ar coating on some of my sapphire watches.
    Dan

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......
    My Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/barny.1976/

Current

Ω Omega Speedmaster 3592.50
    Ω Omega Planet Ocean Liquid Metal Limited Edition
    Apple Watch Series 3

Gone

Ω Omega Seamaster 300 60th Anniversary Limited Edition
    Rolex Submariner 114060
    Ω Omega 36mm Railmaster

Ω Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre Limited Edition
    Ω Omega 38mm Aqua Terra "Skyfall"
    Ω Omega Speedmaster 3873.50 Sapphire Sandwich
    Ω Omega Aqua Terra 39mm Starburst blue dial
    Ω Omega Planet Ocean 2209.50
    Ω Omega Seamaster 2254.50

Has anyone mentioned the Hesalite crystal also has a cool little Omega Logo etched in the center ? Had a tough time getting a good shot of it but it's there

Name:  SpeedyPro-Etched.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  51.1 KB
    ProjectQuattro, took and bobs100 like this.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread Information