Hesalite vs Sapphire; Still Can't Decide - Page 9
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Hesalite vs Sapphire; Still Can't Decide

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Re: Hesalite vs Sapphire; Still Can't Decide

I currently own both a sapphire and a hesalite. For me, the sapphire wins. Both are beautiful. Neither is a bad choice. It is very much a personal opinion on which is "better". I find it annoying when someone uses language that makes it seem like buying anything other than the hesalite is for fools. I find at least one such comment in nearly every discussion of it.

For my opinions:

I find the clarity of the dial to be higher for the sapphire. I enjoy watch photography, and for me, the sapphire with AR is much easier to photograph. The hesalite dome seems to always catch a glare and distortion from one angle or another in the photo. I generally prefer watches with strong AR and "invisible" crystals, so it makes sense that the "domed, warm, reflective" hesalite is less of a draw for me. For others, it's a thing of beauty.

The "milky ring" catchphrase is over blown IMO. If only there was a phrase for "countless micro scratches over the entirety of the dial view, not to mention some obvious deeper ones from when I brushed by that door but its ok because I'll spend a few minutes of my day rubbing away the structure of my "crystal" and start immediately collecting scratches again". Obviously that's a ridiculous viewpoint of the hesalite, but it's the same way I feel about "milky ring". Also, why do people bring up scratched AR when talking about the sapphire models? The AR is only on the inside so if it gets scratched, you've had other problems.

For me, what does win for the hesalite, is historical correctness. However, I find the "you don't want your sapphire shattering in space" repeated wisdom to be a bit off as well. What about the sapphire on the Omega X-33 models? Or the Fortis Cosmonaut models for the Russian Space Agency? Sapphire seemed to make the cut there.

This ended up being more a defense of the things I see repeated about sapphire, but I hope it gave a different point of view from someone who is staring at both of them right now.

It's a privilege to own ANY speedy, and you're in a lucky spot to be able to make that choice.

Quote Originally Posted by surf4hours View Post
    I currently own both a sapphire and a hesalite. For me, the sapphire wins. Both are beautiful. Neither is a bad choice. It is very much a personal opinion on which is "better". I find it annoying when someone uses language that makes it seem like buying anything other than the hesalite is for fools. I find at least one such comment in nearly every discussion of it.

For my opinions:

I find the clarity of the dial to be higher for the sapphire. I enjoy watch photography, and for me, the sapphire with AR is much easier to photograph. The hesalite dome seems to always catch a glare and distortion from one angle or another in the photo. I generally prefer watches with strong AR and "invisible" crystals, so it makes sense that the "domed, warm, reflective" hesalite is less of a draw for me. For others, it's a thing of beauty.

The "milky ring" catchphrase is over blown IMO. If only there was a phrase for "countless micro scratches over the entirety of the dial view, not to mention some obvious deeper ones from when I brushed by that door but its ok because I'll spend a few minutes of my day rubbing away the structure of my "crystal" and start immediately collecting scratches again". Obviously that's a ridiculous viewpoint of the hesalite, but it's the same way I feel about "milky ring". Also, why do people bring up scratched AR when talking about the sapphire models? The AR is only on the inside so if it gets scratched, you've had other problems.

For me, what does win for the hesalite, is historical correctness. However, I find the "you don't want your sapphire shattering in space" repeated wisdom to be a bit off as well. What about the sapphire on the Omega X-33 models? Or the Fortis Cosmonaut models for the Russian Space Agency? Sapphire seemed to make the cut there.

This ended up being more a defense of the things I see repeated about sapphire, but I hope it gave a different point of view from someone who is staring at both of them right now.

It's a privilege to own ANY speedy, and you're in a lucky spot to be able to make that choice.
    Agree with all of this!
    PsychoKandy likes this.

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by surf4hours View Post
    I find it annoying when someone uses language that makes it seem like buying anything other than the hesalite is for fools.
    Do you find it annoying when someone uses similar language in support of the sapphire? Or is it just the hesalite supporters that annoy you?

Just wondering.

René
    Citizen Navihawk
    Momentum Supernova, Titan II, Aquamatic II (Blue Dial)
    OMEGA Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch (ref 310.30.42.30.01.005), Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial Chronometer (ref 233.30.41.21.01.001)
    Seiko SKX007 (Gone--gifted to my uncle)
    Steinhart Marine Chronometer II Roman (Unitas 6498), Nav. B-Chrono II DLC (ETA Valjoux 7750), Nav. B-Uhr II (Unitas 6497), Ocean One Vintage (ETA 2824-2) SOLD, Ocean One Vintage Red (ETA 2824-2) SOLD

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Titan II View Post
    Do you find it annoying when someone uses similar language in support of the sapphire? Or is it just the hesalite supporters that annoy you?

Just wondering.

René
    Certainly; no one should be made to feel like a fool for picking between two great watches. I can't say I've ever noticed the same tone of shaming used in favor of sapphire as I regularly do for hesalite, however. I suppose one's own opinion does effect objectivity, so I'll try to look out for that in the future.
    Paulsky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dududuckling View Post
    I have a sapphire sandwich. The milky ring does not bother me and if it does, I just flip it around for a minute, see beautiful movement in a sapphire caseback, and that makes up for it.

The hesalite has a beautiful dome shape that the sapphire lacks and engraved stainless steel case back. If you want to see the movement, you can always get aftermarket caseback. But the 1861 movement in the hesalite is not as finished as the 1863 in the sapphire with metal brake, which is intended to be displayed. Still, both are beautiful movements.

In my opinion, the true moonwatch is the one that went to the moon or 1960s version with caliber 321. Everything else that we have is just a derivation and variation of that watch. So one is not better than the other... more desirable, maybe. Either way, I think you'd be happy with either one.

Don't worry about scratches on the hesalite (you can polish it off) or sapphire (scratch proof), if you are like me, you'd be more heartbroken with scratches on the case and bracelet.

When I went through YouTube reviews of the moonwatch, I even heard some guy as preferring the FOIS than the moonwatch because everyone has a moonwatch whereas FOIS is rare. So figure that. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.watchuseek.com/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif[/IMG]

By the way, I attached pictures of my watch for reference to the milky ring and everything else. Hope it helps in your decision.
    Agreed. I have a quick question though. Doesn’t the sapphire caseback stick to your wrist when it’s sweaty? I have a Zenith EP that does and it bothers me. I’m thinking of getting the sapphire but this could be a deal breaker.

I bought a few different hesalite Speedmasters over the years because the consensus in the watch community is that it's the only "true" Speedmaster and therefore it's the only way to go. Despite loving the Speedmaster design overall, I never fully clicked with the hesalite and sold each one.

A few months ago I decided to give the sapphire a try and I wish I would have just went with my gut and got that in the first place. The dial clarity is better and the lack of microscratches is such a welcome addition. Yes, hesalite does buff out fairly well, but you'll always have microscratches in intense/bright light. Further, I've found that the "milky ring" is way less prevalent in actual use on the sapphire. I barely notice it at all. And finally, you get that gorgeous display back. The 1863 is a beauty to look at.

So my best advice is to go with your gut and don't let the masses sway you.

Name:  IMG_20190305_140102.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  1.78 MB
    arcentaur likes this.

Ω Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial • Stowa Antea KS • Seiko SKX007

Quote Originally Posted by arcentaur View Post
    Agreed. I have a quick question though. Doesn’t the sapphire caseback stick to your wrist when it’s sweaty? I have a Zenith EP that does and it bothers me. I’m thinking of getting the sapphire but this could be a deal breaker.
    I've never had that issue. I actually find the sapphire back more comfortable because it's flat. The decorative hesalite model caseback always scratched and dug into my wrist a bit.
    arcentaur likes this.

Hesalite vs Sapphire; Still Can't Decide

Quote Originally Posted by 3005 View Post
    I bought a few different hesalite Speedmasters over the years because the consensus in the watch community is that it's the only "true" Speedmaster and therefore it's the only way to go. Despite loving the Speedmaster design overall, I never fully clicked with the hesalite and sold each one.

A few months ago I decided to give the sapphire a try and I wish I would have just went with my gut and got that in the first place. The dial clarity is better and the lack of microscratches is such a welcome addition. Yes, hesalite does buff out fairly well, but you'll always have microscratches in intense/bright light. Further, I've found that the "milky ring" is way less prevalent in actual use on the sapphire. I barely notice it at all. And finally, you get that gorgeous display back. The 1863 is a beauty to look at.

So my best advice is to go with your gut and don't let the masses sway you.

Name:  IMG_20190305_140102.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  1.78 MB
    Nice pic and that bracelet looks very comfortable.

I had the hesalite but sold it a few months ago. This time I’m leaning towards the sapphire. I’ve had it on my wrist at an OB before and I really liked it. Even the milky ring gives it a bit of a character and it actually tones down the oversized dial, which is another thing that I noticed about the hesalite version.
    Last edited by arcentaur; March 15th, 2019 at 02:54.
    3005 and westcoastco like this.

Quote Originally Posted by arcentaur View Post
    Even the milky ring gives it a bit of a character and it actually tones down the oversized dial, which is another thing that I noticed about the hesalite version.
    Good point. I've definitely noticed and appreciate that about the sapphire version, too.
    arcentaur likes this.

I like the vintage look of Hesalite so that's what I chose.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread Information