How many LE's is too many? - Page 2
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: How many LE's is too many?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: How many LE's is too many?

Hublot does a ton, all not my taste

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Way to many LE’s for Omega in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It really depends on the limited editions they have - they have to minimize them and actually make LEs rare. Or only make limited quantities a given year and also have them in limited boutiques - aka Patek, AP and Rolex models. Ballsy for omega to do but if they want to make false scarcity...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Omega releases a ridiculous amount of limited editions. It seems to me, that Omega will release a limited edition, at any/every opportunity.
    Personally speaking, I think it devalues the brand.
    I could stop buying watches, but I'm no quitter.

Rolex Submariner Ceramic ND 114060. Grand Seiko SBGN001G GMT. Omega Aqua Terra 8500. Omega Planet Ocean 8800. Omega Speedmaster 1863.

Casio MRG-8100B-1AJF. Casio MRG-7600-1AJF. Casio MRG-7700-1AJF. Casio GMW-B5000-1ER. Casio GMW-B5000TB-1ER. Casio GW-5000-1AJF.

A LE of 7,007 is not a LE anymore (OMEGA!)

but yes, brands are gambling with today profit vs tomorrow growth.
    In order I have obtained
    > Seiko Chronograph SNA013P The Great Blue l Chopard Mille Miglia GTXL Rosso Corsa l Tudor Heritage Chrono Blue Monte Carlo
    Seiko 5 SNXF01K1 Silver Fox l Seiko 5 - SNKP21J1 Middle East Edition l Longines Heritage 180th Anniversary Chrono
    Omega - Speedmaster Pro Project Alaska l G-Shock - G-9000MX-8 Mudman l Seiko Prospex SRPB51J1 Samurai
    Grand Seiko SBGJ227 Peacock l G-Shock GMWB5000GD-9

My Reviews: Eulit Perlon Strap / Tudor Rubber Strap - Vanguard

Some of the Omega limited editions remind me of those crap ornaments that are often advertised on the back of magazines you get with the weekend papers. Like a scaled down plastic model of a guitar that was owned by Elvis (although it wasnt) with the words "the king" written between the frets in crystals. To add "value" to it they also provide a signed certificate of authenticity signed by the "craftsman" that made the original cast for the plastic tat. For an extra £20 you can also buy a fake wooden plinth to display it. OK maybe thats a bit harsh but some of the Bond LEs have been a bit of a reach over the years. Its not a bad looking watch but the "commanders watch" was a weird idea. Didnt even coincide with a Bond film or mention bond (maybe it did on the box or something). There was a more recent bond SMP that did look like a nice watch as it had some sort of detail at 12, maybe a coat of arms or some kind of symbol? but it had a little engraved plate stuck to the side of the case! Just to hammer home the LE aspect of it. I do like the sky fall AT and the 300mc though but thats 2 out of many.

Name a better duo than Omega and LE

Quote Originally Posted by Titan II View Post
    IMHO, a limited edition should commemorate a true milestone in a brands history. Anything more and it not only devalues previous LEs, but devalues the brand as a whole.

OMEGA is not doubt chasing ROLEX, as far as price and prestige. However, again IMO, they'll never share the same playing field if OMEGA continue to role out LE after LE. And releasing a $17 600.00 (CAD) Speedmaster with the view of increasing the price of the whole line will not automatically put them in ROLEX's league.

I'm no expert in ROLEX, but I can't recall a limited edition ROLEX model (please correct me if I'm wrong). LEs are not how they became a prestige brand. Quality and consistency built iconic watches and loyal followers.
    Yes but Rolex limits production of all it's popular sports watches which is why the shops are empty of them and you have to wait 5 years for some models. I walked into a Rolex AD wearing my Sea Dweller last week (blue JC one) and the shop assistant who'd worked there for 18 months had never even seen a real one before. I think I prefer the Omega model. At least you can get them sometimes
    Rolex 116660 D-Blue, Rolex Sky-Dweller, Zenith Tipo CP-2 Flyback, Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 45th Anniversary, Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary, Omega Speedmaster Apollo 17 40th Anniversary, Omega Speedy Tuesday (ST1), Omega ​Ultraman (ST2), Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre, Omega ​Planet Ocean Deep Black, Timex ​Marlin Peanuts

I don't actually have a problem with a glut of LE releases as long as they are priced appropriately. When the pricing starts to get wacky just because 2000 odd were made, then it starts getting into ridiculous territory and devalues the brand and the previous LE.

But if it to mark a milestone, or simply a fun quirky colab (snoopy or tintin), then it makes sense to do it as a limited run because there isn't going to be mass appeal in a snoopy watch for example.

LE also doesn't necessarily have to mean that the piece has to appreciate in value, I think it's totally acceptable to say, hey we've got this cool idea, want to just make a few of them so enjoy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information