How many LE's is too many?
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: How many LE's is too many?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How many LE's is too many?

I didn't see a past thread on this and would love to hear the group opinion. I know we ..... about the number and frequency of Limited Edition Omega's (particularly Speedy's). Gripes range from "for the upcharge it should include a bracelet" to "it devalues past LEs."

When Omega has shown that they can sell 2000 watches in 20 minutes for $19M, how many (Per year? Per decade?) do you guys think is 'right'?

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    IMHO, a limited edition should commemorate a true milestone in a brands history. Anything more and it not only devalues previous LEs, but devalues the brand as a whole.

OMEGA is not doubt chasing ROLEX, as far as price and prestige. However, again IMO, they'll never share the same playing field if OMEGA continue to role out LE after LE. And releasing a $17 600.00 (CAD) Speedmaster with the view of increasing the price of the whole line will not automatically put them in ROLEX's league.

I'm no expert in ROLEX, but I can't recall a limited edition ROLEX model (please correct me if I'm wrong). LEs are not how they became a prestige brand. Quality and consistency built iconic watches and loyal followers.

So, to answer the question...

If a limited edition is released that doesn't commemorate a trues milestone, then that's one too many right there.

René
    Last edited by Titan II; 3 Days Ago at 21:21. Reason: Clarity.
    todoroki and wis_dad like this.
    Citizen Navihawk
    Momentum Supernova, Titan II (GONE--gifted to a friend's son), Aquamatic II (Blue Dial)
    OMEGA 1957 Trilogy Railmaster Co-Axial Master Chronometer (ref 220.10.38.20.01.002), Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch (ref 310.30.42.30.01.005), Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial Chronometer (ref 233.30.41.21.01.001)
    Seiko SKX007 (GONE--gifted to my uncle)
    Steinhart Marine Chronometer II Roman (Unitas 6498), Nav. B-Chrono II DLC (ETA Valjoux 7750)(SOLD), Nav. B-Uhr II (Unitas 6497)(SOLD), Ocean One Vintage (ETA 2824-2) (SOLD), Ocean One Vintage Red (ETA 2824-2) (SOLD)

Re: How many LE's is too many?

I can't say because we crested that threshold years ago.
    Dan T. and HiggsBoson like this.
    Current Lineup: TBD
    Rolex Submariner 116613LN Rolex GMT Master II 116710LN
    Breitling Galactic Unitime Sleek T World Timer Breitling Avenger II Chronograph
    Omega Seamaster 300M 44MM GMT Chronograph Deep Blue Master 2000
    Tissot T-Touch Expert, All Titanium Citizen Eco-Drive World Perpetual AT CB0000-57E
    TBD TBD

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Too many, When i see LE Its usually an Omega or Seiko.
    Hype to me. I say Bybye..

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Dan T. likes this.

Rolex has let themselves be commissioned for limited runs for very small groups, but they are not available for the public (originally) and are paid for in advance. Who knows if they even have anything to do with the special case backs.

Like this:

Rolex Royal Navy Deep Sea Clearance Diver 116660 - L Guess

and this:

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auct...vice-reference

one more:

https://www.watchclub.com/rolex/expl...6570-year-2007
    Last edited by stamsd; 3 Days Ago at 22:26.

I have philosophical reservations against LEs, so the answer from me is "1."
    "I think I may make bold to say, that there is neither any other Mechanical or Mathematical thing in the World that is more beautiful or curious in texture than this my watch or Timekeeper for the Longitude..." ~John Harrison F.R.S., 1759

My WIS Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by Titan II View Post
    IMHO, a limited edition should commemorate a true milestone in a brands history. Anything more and it not only devalues previous LEs, but devalues the brand as a whole.

OMEGA is not doubt chasing ROLEX, as far as price and prestige. However, again IMO, they'll never share the same playing field if OMEGA continue to role out LE after LE. And releasing a $17 600.00 (CAD) Speedmaster with the view of increasing the price of the whole line will not automatically put them in ROLEX's league.

I'm no expert in ROLEX, but I can't recall a limited edition ROLEX model (please correct me if I'm wrong). LEs are not how they became a prestige brand. Quality and consistency built iconic watches and loyal followers.

So, to answer the question...

If a limited edition is released that doesn't commemorate a trues milestone, then that's one too many right there.

René
    The only thing closest to a Rolex "Limited Edition" I think might compare would be the 50th Anniversary Submariner: 16610LV "Kermit". Now discontinued, it wasn't numbered like most LEs are and only released for a few years. Prices are through the roof because limited release Rolex is, in fact, limited release.
    Titan II likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sf16 View Post
    Prices are through the roof because limited release Rolex is, in fact, limited release.
    Agreed. Unlike Omega, with Rolex you don't find out your watch was limited until after the fact. ;)
    sf16 and Titan II like this.

So 1 more clarification: Buyers do generally like when they offer a unique colorway or material (e.g. the speediorite, ultraman, olympic colors, snoopy, etc).

Do you guys feel those cheapen the brand? or that they should be released without a preset limitation on quantity?

Personally, I think the fact that you can get a slightly different Speedy is pretty cool, yet understand that its hard for them to justify having 25 speedy's available at any given time; thus, make a run of them, and sell them, then move on...

How many is too many? One more than there are buyers;)
    Betterthere and HiggsBoson like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information