How old will omega still support/accept their watches for service?
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: How old will omega still support/accept their watches for service?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How old will omega still support/accept their watches for service?

Tissot and hamilton only guarantee parts availability up to 10 years. Then they will offer watch replacement program instead of servicing the watch.

I was wondering how old will omega still accept and able to service vintage watches then? There's a thread saying they guarantee for parts availability for 20 years, but the information from omega website is gone/not specified now. Imo 20 years is too soon don't u think? Does rolex have it for 30 years is true? Any idea about other brand like zenith or iwc?

How can we pass down a watch through generations if the brand unable to service the watch. Let alone offer for new watch program.. bear in mind that not everyone has access to good independent watchmaker in their countries they live in. Especially with inhouse movements.
    Orient Star WZ0291DK JDM
    Omega Seamaster Professional Diver 300M 210.30.42.20.01.001
    Omega Speedmaster Professional "Moonwatch" 311.30.42.30.01.006

Re: How old will omega still support/accept their watches for service?

I think I heard somewhere that they have a vintage restoration service?

It would cost serious $$$$ I expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar_917 View Post
    ^^ tells the truth on Internet forums
    So many watches, So little time...
    SeanoftheDead516 likes this.
    So many watches, so little time...

They will repair the vintages watches, but the cost goes up for super old pieces. I think they have tiers.

The parts availability thing starts after the end of production of the movement. So for something like the Omega 1861, you're looking at closer to 50 years of parts if you have one of the first.
    the five stages of a watch flipper
    infatuation
    appropriation acquisition justification resale

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 6R15 View Post
    They will repair the vintages watches, but the cost goes up for super old pieces. I think they have tiers.

The parts availability thing starts after the end of production of the movement. So for something like the Omega 1861, you're looking at closer to 50 years of parts if you have one of the first.
    Yeah, for 1861, i think its a safe bet. But the aesthetic parts like hands, pusher, crown, are what concerned me since its the parts that always to be replaced every service (especially hands)

What also got me thinking is all the speedy LEs. Just how many parts of ultraman hand for example does omega had? Another perfect example is dsotm handwound cal 1869. Not only the case parts are very unique, the movement as well with different movement parts finishing and moon plates. Are they subject to permanent resident in watch collector's cabinet? Never be used in fear for service and degrade of value if serviced with incorrect hands / any other parts
    Last edited by Reynold; 1 Week Ago at 14:35.
    Orient Star WZ0291DK JDM

I think it's a safe bet with the LEs since there aren't that many out there to begin with, so the parts will just be sitting in their storage for years because it's so unique. It's like the Mitusokshi dials that were readily available for like 10 years after its release and everyone would buy it to mod their regular Speedies until Swatch cut part supplies for everyone
    Reynold and SeanoftheDead516 like this.
    the five stages of a watch flipper
    infatuation
    appropriation acquisition justification resale

Quote Originally Posted by 6R15 View Post
    I think it's a safe bet with the LEs since there aren't that many out there to begin with, so the parts will just be sitting in their storage for years because it's so unique. It's like the Mitusokshi dials that were readily available for like 10 years after its release and everyone would buy it to mod their regular Speedies until Swatch cut part supplies for everyone
    Yeah i guess that make sense as well
    Orient Star WZ0291DK JDM

Obviously I don’t know the actual figures, but one of the things watch companies like Omega do is promote their watches as something that you can hand down. So unlike a fashion watch that no one will wear after a few years, these watches will be around for a long time. Therefore they know that they will have to support them and will make sure that they have the required spares. Besides, servicing is also good business and it wouldn’t make sense not to keep a good stock of parts.
    Omega SMP 300 Chrono
    Omega 8500 Aqua Terra
    Omega 2500 Orange PO
    Vintage Omega Geneve
    Chopard GT XL
    Bell & Ross BR03-92 Ceramic

tdk

I think they can get an old watch to work but whether the parts are actually original/period correct is the problem.

I recently sent my grandfathers 1976 Quartz Constellation into Omega for an overhaul. It came back with some new parts and is working well

Quote Originally Posted by Reynold View Post
    How can we pass down a watch through generations if the brand unable to service the watch. Let alone offer for new watch program.. bear in mind that not everyone has access to good independent watchmaker in their countries they live in. Especially with inhouse movements.
    I think we're pretty much the last generation that will bother with analogue timepieces. Younger generations are wearing fewer mechanical watches given the capability of smartphones and smart watches. There's simply no practical reason to have one - it's purely an emotional decision and a piece of jewelry. That's why I fully expect mechanical watches to only become luxury status symbols with a dramatically smaller market.

In a nutshell, don't worry about parts availability.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information