I Could Use Some Advice on a Recent Purchase (Omega Speedmaster 3511.50)
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: I Could Use Some Advice on a Recent Purchase (Omega Speedmaster 3511.50)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I Could Use Some Advice on a Recent Purchase (Omega Speedmaster 3511.50)

I recently purchased an Omega Speedmaster Automatic 3511.50 (39mm). I bought it online from a Japanese seller with a good reputation (on watchuseek.com and elsewhere) and decent return policy.

The watch came with the original box, warranty card, and (it appears) the full 7+" bracelet. It's in great condition.

The first two weeks I had the watch, it ran a minute or two a day behind. That's not great, but tolerable. The date also did not change until 4 or 5 am.

Over the last week, however, it has not run well. It sometimes completely stops and needs to be shaken to start up again. Other times, it will run 5 minutes or faster over the course of an hour.

Although winding the watch may restart it when stopped, it does not seem to have any other effect and the inconsistent time keeping continues.

I have contacted the seller and they have agreed to accept a return (they have asked that I pay return shipping).

I don't know enough about watches -- admittedly -- if these time keeping problems are fixable for a reasonable cost while doing a service or if they require significant and costly repair.

My dilemma is this: (1) Should I keep the watch and immediately take it somewhere for service? or (2) Return the watch and look for another one?

If servicing the watch makes the most sense, I'd appreciate recommendations for a watch repairer.

Thank you for your help!
    fskywalker likes this.

EHV

Re: I Could Use Some Advice on a Recent Purchase (Omega Speedmaster 3511.50)

Hi,

Firstly,welcome to WUS.

Out of the box losing a minute or two is not acceptable, especially for an Omega. Not even close. Add the rest to a new watch and you have a problem.

While it should be covered under warranty, this seller is being very kind and will take the watch back for full refund, minus shipping cost back to Japan, (could be expensive) and if they will take it back, I would return for full refund and either purchase it again or elsewhere from a local AD.

If you keep it, you run the risk of bad problems that will cost you a lot and if you take it locally, it may cost you a lot and you will void the warranty. Even if it's cheap to fix locally, you still void the warranty by having someone other than Omega open the watch.

I would return the watch for full refund and look elsewhere or get a replacement from this seller if you are still comfortable using them.

I'm sorry, I should have been clearer in my first post. The watch was purchased used. According to the warranty card, it was originally purchased 22 years ago.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sounds like service is needed
    rfortson likes this.
    Omega Aqua Terra Master Co-Axial 8500 - Omega Diver 300M Master Chronometer - Seiko "Samurai" SRPC93

I would return it and look for one that has been serviced recently. Servicing would run you somewhere in the neighborhood of $750 plus parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

EHV

No apology necessary! It's my fault. I should know my model #'s better or just use Google.

I do agree with the return though. Too much for a service when it should have come to you in proper order, unless they told you otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor_Belvedere View Post
    I'm sorry, I should have been clearer in my first post. The watch was purchased used. According to the warranty card, it was originally purchased 22 years ago.

i've heard this happen before with watches from Japan. separate topic but did you get charged customs duty on the watch? assuming so, is that refundable if you do end up returning it?

Quote Originally Posted by enycelilc View Post
    separate topic but did you get charged customs duty on the watch? assuming so, is that refundable if you do end up returning it?
    No customs duty charge. I understand that most watches shipped through the EMS, the international postal cooperative, are not charged a duty upon import.

I don't know about the duty being refundable. My suspicion is that it would be a long, difficult road to recover the import duty paid to the government if you return the goods. Fortunately, I don't have to consider that. It's just the (not inexpensive) cost of return shipping.
    fskywalker likes this.

Tough call. Anytime I buy an older watch I assume it needs a service, unless the seller can provide documentation it has been serviced. The challenge you face is that Speedy reduced models are getting up there in age and I imagine most for sale are in need of a service. For me it would come down to the price you paid for the watch and how bad you want it. If the price of the reduced plus $700 for a service gets you into Speedy Pro territory then I would move on from the reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    For me it would come down to the price you paid for the watch and how bad you want it. If the price of the reduced plus $700 for a service gets you into Speedy Pro territory then I would move on from the reduced.
    I paid about $1200. Even with a $700 to $800 service, I'm all in less than $2,000. That's probably a lot for this model (hence the hesitation to service and enjoy), but not too bad for an automatic chronograph from Omega.

If the service and parts would exceed $800 or if the watch is still malfunctioning after service, I'd be really upset about spending so much and not getting the value.

If I were to service it, would a trained watchmaker with access to Omega parts be a better way to go than Omega's authorized service center? Or does it sound like the watch is so far gone only a visit to the factory can bring her back?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information