I Know I know I know But I have to ask in this forum....
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: I Know I know I know But I have to ask in this forum....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I Know I know I know But I have to ask in this forum....

So I need to ask in this forum since I can always get an honest answer and great opinions. I know it's the wrong forum but I need to ask. I am considering purchasing from Japan the Seiko Marinemaster 300M SBDX001. Now I have done a ton of research and reviews and videos and wanted to know if anyone has this in there collection and what they think. It is only available on JDM (Japan Domestic Market) I have decided to finally get a Seiko and I figure I would go BIG within my price range. I have asked in the Seiko forum but not getting the most out of it. Anyhow, there have been reviews comparing it to the PO, Rolex, Sinn and also with Seiko's Grand Seiko line. What I like most of this watch is the diver extension on this bracelet. Just the overall look and the one piece case and that it's all made inhouse with the 8L35 movement. This watch would just be a pleasure to have. Since I obviously can't try this watch on and see what the overall feel is like, I figure I would take a chance on it and hope for the best. I am a big fan of divers and also the vintage style. If you can all give me some great feedback I would much appreciate it. I am 90% decided to get it. Cheers!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by picklepossy; December 18th, 2011 at 03:37.
    speedy1, NMGE17, gaopa and 1 others like this.

"Time is the only true unit of measure, it gives proof to the existence of matter, without time, we don't exist."

Re: I Know I know I know But I have to ask in this forum....

Don't have one but I would go for it. It cool watch in my opinion.
    Regards Cam

I have heard that the MM is a big, heavy watch. You might want to check that part out. Otherwise, an outstanding watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yes it is 209g. Would be for me the heaviest watch. My wrist size is 7.25.

"Time is the only true unit of measure, it gives proof to the existence of matter, without time, we don't exist."

A wonderful diver high ender for sure...but I have not bought one. For Seikos, I have the grails 3606 and 6105.....so instead I bought 2 vintage Omegas, the large size preBond quartz and the Polaris chrono......this way I got 2 for the price of one hahahaha!

I'm going to give you my honest opinion, since you asked for it. I find it funny how it's almost bad form to criticize Seikos in any way. I admire Seiko, the company, a great deal. I think it's absolutely vital for the industry to have a company like Seiko as a counter-balance to the European establishment. I also find the notion of buying a higher-end watch from Japan to be a romantic one. With this particular watch, I can see how extraordinarily well made it is, and I understand what a bargain it is compared to many Swiss watches in its price range. I've read pages and pages of praise for this model, and I know many people who are far more knowledgeable than I am hold this model in the highest esteem. Here's the thing, though: I, personally, don't like the chunky detailing. I fully understand that those elements add up to form much of the Seiko character. I know devotees find the too thick index surrounds, the blunt broad sword hands, and the overall industrial feeling of the case and bezel to be utterly charming. I can see how one would arrive at those conclusions. I think such elements work great on a $600 Sumo, or a $400 Samurai. But try as I might, I cannot get myself to like these major design elements on a $2k+ watch. So, if you subscribe to the Seiko design ethos, if you've succumbed to the charms of their higher-end diver's watches, then by all means, go for it. Even if you tire of it, many will be waiting to to give it a good home. I'm sure it's a fantastic watch, but I just don't like the styling. I would say the same if it was an Omega or from any other brand. Good luck.
    Last edited by Dixan; December 18th, 2011 at 05:59.
    Perseus likes this.

Been looking at getting one myself.

Ah, just the man I was waiting to comment about this watch. I said you know, Dixan will come along and give his honest opinion. Dixan once again I appreciate it. Thing is that I came across this watch a couple of years back and said no way would I buy it. Well now I feel that I should buy it and based on a lot of reviews etc etc, I find myself really wanting this watch. The thing is though, that it's a chance I will have to take on ordering it since I cannot try it on anywhere locally hence only available to JDM. I have in the last couple of days said to myself that buying this watch is a lot of money for what others would say is a Seiko. However, it's myself that will make that decision and not care what others say. I also say, that getting this watch would be unique to have since it's not common that others would wear. There is just something about this diver that is pulling me towards it. Overall, to wear a piece like this that is all done in house is something that watch enthusiasts can really appreciate and talk about.
    Dixan, MFB71 and NMGE17 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by picklepossy View Post
    Ah, just the man I was waiting to comment about this watch. I said you know, Dixan will come along and give his honest opinion. Dixan once again I appreciate it. Thing is that I came across this watch a couple of years back and said no way would I buy it. Well now I feel that I should buy it and based on a lot of reviews etc etc, I find myself really wanting this watch. The thing is though, that it's a chance I will have to take on ordering it since I cannot try it on anywhere locally hence only available to JDM. I have in the last couple of days said to myself that buying this watch is a lot of money for what others would say is a Seiko. However, it's myself that will make that decision and not care what others say. I also say, that getting this watch would be unique to have since it's not common that others would wear. There is just something about this diver that is pulling me towards it. Overall, to wear a piece like this that is all done in house is something that watch enthusiasts can really appreciate and talk about.
    Hey, I would love that watch — on your wrist. It's a fantastic watch, and I am grateful it exists. If the aesthetics work for you, then the decision should be an easy one. ;)

Banned

I like the Seiko divers, in general. They are a nice casual looking diver, with some substance. After researching what's out there in my size, I settled on the SBCM023. For what I paid, it's very well made. It also has a chunky look and feel to it, but is a midsize (39mm), so works well for me. I say "go for it". Everyone needs one nice Seiko in their lineup, and you've chosen the ultimate model. Make sure to post pics when it arrives.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information