If you have been considering the Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial . . . - Page 4
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: If you have been considering the Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial . . .

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Nunavut during the school year, Ontario in the summers

Re: If you have been considering the Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Ken G View Post
    Just go for the Mark II!
    ( looked good on you on the other thread ;) )
    I'm going to check out the Speedmaster Pro today first, the AD I went to was sold out of them. The Mk. II was really nice though, I really liked the brushed finish of the case and matte grey dial. In person, I think it's actually one of the nicest dials i've ever seen. Pictures do not do it justice. I read the Watchtime review on it, which was really interesting. The article said that Omega modified the 7750 movement to the point where it is barely recognizable. The main modification are a column wheel, co-axial escapement and silicon balance spring. The main drawback is its thickness.
    Last edited by avt80; June 18th, 2015 at 17:12.
    Omega Seamaster Professional Planet Ocean 232.30.42.21.01.001
    Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra >15,000 Gauss 231.10.42.21.01.002 (bumble bee)
    Grand Seiko Caliber 9S 20th Anniversary Limited Edition Mechanical Hi-Beat 36000 SBGH267G
    Casio
    G-Shock GW-5610
    Rolex Explorer 1 114270 (36mm) -requisitioned by my wife

I'd had my Pro for about two years when I got the Mark II (at the end of last year) and I also felt it was really thick at first. But I quickly got used to it and now I don't give it a second thought - it's just a different style of watch with a different feel. I've said here before that I actually prefer it to the Pro...

(Apologies for being off topic, everyone - back to the 300!)
    avt80 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken G View Post
    I'd had my Pro for about two years when I got the Mark II (at the end of last year) and I also felt it was really thick at first. But I quickly got used to it and now I don't give it a second thought - it's just a different style of watch with a different feel. I've said here before that I actually prefer it to the Pro...

(Apologies for being off topic, everyone - back to the 300!)
    Yeah, I can see how you would like the Mk. II more. The dial is amazing when you see it in person. I could be leaning in that direction myself.
    Grand Seiko Caliber 9S 20th Anniversary Limited Edition Mechanical Hi-Beat 36000 SBGH267G
    Casio
    G-Shock GW-5610

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by avt80 View Post
    Yeah, that's where I usually wear my watches. My wrists are pretty boney and I find it uncomfortable if they sit above my wrist bone. When I tried it on I didn't find anything wrong with how it fit other than it is thick compared to my 2254. The bracelet was also not sized to my wrist, so the watch slid down a little more than usual and the lugs hung over my wrist. The reason I decided it was not for me was that it was a little too shiny, I felt that the vintage matte look of the dial didn't fit with all the shiny steel and that the it was not as legible at all angles as my 2254. For some reason, though, I still think it's a great looking watch.
    Wouldn't be comfortable to me there. Has to be behind my wrist bone on the torso side. Course first 3 times I saw the 300MC I resisted because thought was too perfect. See what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by julywest View Post
    Wouldn't be comfortable to me there. Has to be behind my wrist bone on the torso side. Course first 3 times I saw the 300MC I resisted because thought was too perfect. See what happened.
    I still think the SM300MC is a beautiful watch, I really like looking at it and, if money were no object, I would buy it. I just know what kind of watch I tend to gravitate more towards for a daily wear watch. If I bough it, I would wear it for a few weeks and then I'd go back to my 2254 everyday. I feel the same about the Zenith Big Pilot watches. They're beautiful, I love the look of them and I love trying them on when I see them, but I know I would end up not wearing it often enough to justify the cost. I'm waiting to find something that, for me, can rival my 2254 for a daily wear watch. Right now, I think it's the Speedmaster Professional, which is similar to my 2255.

Ben Clymer told an interesting anecdote in the latest Details magazine. He tells about a watch he loved the looks of and that was a Grail watch for him for a long time. When he finally bought the watch, he loved it but found that it just didn't fit his wrist and style. Later, he ended up selling it to a friend. The friend says that it became his favourite watch. I think I would have a similar experience if I bought the SM300MC. Having bought and sold a few more watches than I would have liked to, I'm much more careful now with my purchases and I want to make sure any watches I buy now are a good fit for me. I believe now that there are many great watches out there that I really like, but, for some reason, only a few of them really mesh with me.
    julywest and joshuagull like this.
    Casio
    G-Shock GW-5610

Quote Originally Posted by avt80 View Post
    I still think the SM300MC is a beautiful watch, I really like looking at it and, if money were no object, I would buy it. I just know what kind of watch I tend to gravitate more towards for a daily wear watch. If I bough it, I would wear it for a few weeks and then I'd go back to my 2254 everyday. I feel the same about the Zenith Big Pilot watches. They're beautiful, I love the look of them and I love trying them on when I see them, but I know I would end up not wearing it often enough to justify the cost. I'm waiting to find something that, for me, can rival my 2254 for a daily wear watch. Right now, I think it's the Speedmaster Professional, which is similar to my 2255.

Ben Clymer told an interesting anecdote in the latest Details magazine. He tells about a watch he loved the looks of and that was a Grail watch for him for a long time. When he finally bought the watch, he loved it but found that it just didn't fit his wrist and style. Later, he ended up selling it to a friend. The friend says that it became his favourite watch. I think I would have a similar experience if I bought the SM300MC. Having bought and sold a few more watches than I would have liked to, I'm much more careful now with my purchases and I want to make sure any watches I buy now are a good fit for me. I believe now that there are many great watches out there that I really like, but, for some reason, only a few of them really mesh with me.
    I certainly understand all of that. Having flipped too many myself. Had a couple of 2254s and they are great. Bracelet fitting well can be hit or miss. another nice feature of sm300mc is the bracelet adjustment.
    I am down to 3 and hope to stay there although do miss my Pelagos.

Like avt80 yesterday, I tried on the SM300 Master Co-ax today (regular black dial and blue Ti). And, just like avt80, I have to say, I wasn't completely blown away by it - that's what I expected to happen. Don't get me wrong, it's a terrific looking watch, oozes class and I'd absolutely love to own one, but it's certainly not at the top of my wishlist. I tried on a Ploprof and PO8500 Ti LM at the same time and much preferred these. Maybe the SM300 Master Co-ax just isn't my style...

Anyway, here are some pics from the boutique today of the 300:

Well, I'll say this....I tried in the 300MC at the Boutique several times. I found the lighting conditions to not favor the 300 at all. Completely different experience once I got it out in the wild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by om3ga_fan View Post
    Well, I'll say this....I tried in the 300MC at the Boutique several times. I found the lighting conditions to not favor the 300 at all. Completely different experience once I got it out in the wild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is true. The first place I tried it on had these powerful overhead lights right above the display cases. The sales person recommended I step away from the lights to get a better look at it. Yesterday I tried it on again at an AD that was in a temporary location due to renovations so they didn't have the typical lighting designed to make everything shine and I thought it looked much nicer.
    Casio
    G-Shock GW-5610

Certainly looks better in your pic than it does in mine, om3ga_fan!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information