It's Time for an Omega! - Page 2
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: It's Time for an Omega!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: It's Time for an Omega!

Well, I pulled the trigger today! Picked up the 215.30.44.21.03.001 from my local AD. It's is the blue-dialed, 43.5 mm Seamaster Planet Ocean with the 8900 movement. I gotta say it's a beast of a watch. Compared to my titanium Breitling Aerospace EVO (quartz), it's like comparing the weight of a Japanese 1 yen piece to a Double Eagle gold coin. Still, on my 7.5" wrist, it wears well. I'll post pics tomorrow when the lighting is better. I'm really liking the micro adjust bracelet (I have a mosquito bite on my wrist and the swelling makes my normal bracelets fit tight. It's a pretty watch and checks a box in my WIS journey.

Grats on your first omega. 1 of many to go along with that sea master

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Congrats on the PO. The adjustable clasp is fantastic.

Big congrats, enjoy!
    Father with love

Congratulations. I was going to say why settle for black if you crave the blue version. Great choice. And definitely get that vintage Omega serviced. You’re lucky to even have that opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by clarosec View Post
    That'd be an awesome first purchase, but...

SERVICE THAT '53. Do it for him.

For context: I still have one grandfather's Seamaster De Ville quartz from 1980, still running. I also have the other grandfather's 1957 Constellation calendar, still running. Last time I had the Connie serviced, it was $300 at my local watch guy. New mainspring bushing and a pile of inside work. Now running +5s/day. Prior to that, it hadn't been serviced in 15 years.

The De Ville I change the batteries myself. It loses time because of non-mercury batteries but who cares.

think about it this way: New battery in a quartz every 2 years at $40 a swap (average, in Canada, if not doing it yourself.). At year 14, you've spent: $560. Compare that to my Connie service.
    I think the Deville just needs a service as using a non mercury battery tends to speed up the watch instead of slowing it down. The Merc batteries were 1.3v and the current cells are 1.5v. This is what caused a few Accutron watches to speed up until I got them serviced. If your Deville is like my Omega Mega Quartz, it was set up for both types of battery (non merc and Merc)

I would think it just needs a cleaning. Other then the electronic board and coil and a few other parts, the watch had a lot of the gears that a non quartz watch has and Omega serviced them (they were not throwaway movements), they were serviced like a mechanical watch.
    clarosec likes this.

I agree with the other posters saying you should service your Dad's 1953 Seamaster ... if he balks at spending a couple hundred dollars to get it serviced, I doubt he would be happy that you spent more than 10X that amount on an entirely new watch for him. I think offering to have his old watch serviced is a wonderful gesture that reinforces the uniqueness and story of the piece that he already owns. I recently took my vintage Seamaster to a watchmaker, who estimated that it would cost about $300-$400 to service. That seems to be about the going rate.

The blue is a keeper.
    MissileExpert likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by journeyforce View Post
    I think the Deville just needs a service as using a non mercury battery tends to speed up the watch instead of slowing it down. The Merc batteries were 1.3v and the current cells are 1.5v. This is what caused a few Accutron watches to speed up until I got them serviced. If your Deville is like my Omega Mega Quartz, it was set up for both types of battery (non merc and Merc)

I would think it just needs a cleaning. Other then the electronic board and coil and a few other parts, the watch had a lot of the gears that a non quartz watch has and Omega serviced them (they were not throwaway movements), they were serviced like a mechanical watch.
    That's a fair point. The 1342 (from what I remember from the last time I opened it a few months ago) is an unregulated movement. The hour skip-set is great and the minute/second setting is... hilariously infuriating. :)

Maybe I'll bring it in one of these days. In the meantime I run the minutes forward a bit every other month or so. Makes for a nice dilemma in the mornings (apologies for poor lighting):

Name:  omegas.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  350.8 KB
    2018 Omega Speedmaster Professional (calibre 1861) / 1957 Omega Constellation calendar (calibre 504) / 70's-80's Omega Seamaster De Ville Quartz (calibre 1342) / Orient Star Seeker (40P51) / Citizen Aqualand Duplex (C506) / Orient Journeyman (46K40)/ Seagull 1963 chrono 42mm (ST19) / Stuhrling Canterbury (ST-90050) / Casio AW 300 Yacht Timer / Seiko Ana-Digi (H-556) / Seiko SKX007 (7s26) / Invicta Pro Diver 8928OB (NH35A)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information