It's Time for an Omega!
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: It's Time for an Omega!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

It's Time for an Omega!

Omega has been on my grail list even before I turned into a WIS. I started this obsession last year, and I've been building a collection, starting with more affordable options. After adding a Sinn and a Breitling, I've come to appreciate the higher level fit and finish of higher end brands. My father is 88 and wears the 1953 Omega Seamaster he bought new when stationed in France in the Air Force. He wore it daily for probably 50 years before he retired it. He just can't stomach the servicing costs (even though he's well able to afford it). A regular service today is practically the same price (not adjusted for inflation) as what he paid for the watch at the Base Exchange in 1953. All that to say it's inspired me to buy a Seamaster Planet Ocean. I'm likely to get the 43.5 mm blue dial non-chrono on bracelet, but will settle for a black dial if my AD doesn't have a blue one in stock.

Re: It's Time for an Omega!

That'd be an awesome first purchase, but...

SERVICE THAT '53. Do it for him.

For context: I still have one grandfather's Seamaster De Ville quartz from 1980, still running. I also have the other grandfather's 1957 Constellation calendar, still running. Last time I had the Connie serviced, it was $300 at my local watch guy. New mainspring bushing and a pile of inside work. Now running +5s/day. Prior to that, it hadn't been serviced in 15 years.

The De Ville I change the batteries myself. It loses time because of non-mercury batteries but who cares.

think about it this way: New battery in a quartz every 2 years at $40 a swap (average, in Canada, if not doing it yourself.). At year 14, you've spent: $560. Compare that to my Connie service.
    Last edited by clarosec; 1 Week Ago at 05:10.
    jkpa, TechGuyJ and rfortson like this.
    2018 Omega Speedmaster Professional (calibre 1861) / 1957 Omega Constellation calendar (calibre 504) / 70's-80's Omega Seamaster De Ville Quartz (calibre 1342) / Orient Star Seeker (40P51) / Citizen Aqualand Duplex (C506) / Orient Journeyman (46K40)/ Seagull 1963 chrono 42mm (ST19) / Stuhrling Canterbury (ST-90050) / Casio AW 300 Yacht Timer / Seiko Ana-Digi (H-556) / Seiko SKX007 (7s26) / Invicta Pro Diver 8928OB (NH35A)

I will second the service the ‘53! What a fantastic piece to have in your collection!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Second the idea of getting your dad’s Omega serviced. It’s not too expensive if done by a local watchmaker and will easily last another 60+ years.

I recently had my Conny serviced and it’s within COSC.

The PO is also a great everyday wear. I currently wear the PO 8900 most days.

rfortson likes this.

It's Time for an Omega!

Quote Originally Posted by MissileExpert View Post
    Omega has been on my grail list even before I turned into a WIS. I started this obsession last year, and I've been building a collection, starting with more affordable options. After adding a Sinn and a Breitling, I've come to appreciate the higher level fit and finish of higher end brands. My father is 88 and wears the 1953 Omega Seamaster he bought new when stationed in France in the Air Force. He wore it daily for probably 50 years before he retired it. He just can't stomach the servicing costs (even though he's well able to afford it). A regular service today is practically the same price (not adjusted for inflation) as what he paid for the watch at the Base Exchange in 1953. All that to say it's inspired me to buy a Seamaster Planet Ocean. I'm likely to get the 43.5 mm blue dial non-chrono on bracelet, but will settle for a black dial if my AD doesn't have a blue one in stock.

PO is an excellent choice!
    Omega Aqua Terra Master Co-Axial 8500 - Omega 300M Master Chronometer - Seiko "Samurai" SRPC93

Going back to the service. I'm sure he would get his car serviced and carried out maintenance on his property etc. Why would a watch be any different?

I would think carefully about settling for the black dial, only because it is your second choice and your first choice will always be in your mind.

Mind you, we all know that you will probably end up with both...
    Omega SMP 300 Chrono
    Omega 8500 Aqua Terra
    Omega 2500 Orange PO
    Vintage Omega Geneve
    Chopard GT XL
    Bell & Ross BR03-92 Ceramic

Take your dads watch to a local watch maker for service

It’s not that expensive

I just had this one done for just over 200 bucks

runs great

Last edited by JParanee; 1 Week Ago at 03:22.

It's time to make your father happy by refresh his omega '53 to regulated condition.
    MissileExpert and rfortson like this.

I will certainly let Dad know I'll gladly pay for the service. He actually has a broken date mechanism because he tried to change the date when the hour hand was in the danger zone. Everything else works fine. There's an excellent watchmaker here in Orlando that specializes in restoring vintage watches. Dad lives in Texas.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information