Just Added an Aqua Terra; Some Thoughts and First Impressions - Page 4
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Just Added an Aqua Terra; Some Thoughts and First Impressions

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Just Added an Aqua Terra; Some Thoughts and First Impressions

Excellent review, and great photos as well! Great that you went for something different, even though you are not normally a big Omega fan.

I think the move by Omega from vertical to horizontal on the teak dial is a good move. I also like that they look a bit uneven and adds to the interest and character of the dial. They have done a great job with the date window, moving it to 6 o'clock, coloring the wheel same as the dial, and the silver numerals to match the dial text.

After owning a few GS watches, I agree about the bracelet. It does feel a bit rough in comparison. Although I owned an AT, I never found it too uncomfortable, but edges did seem a bit sharp at times. It can be difficult to get a good fit on a bracelet with butterfly clasp. Can't remember if it has half links or not? Anyway, same with GS. I have to say I prefer the AT bracelet, though, as I like the more casual look and feel.

Actually, I owned two ATs. I got my first one when the new 8500 was introduced back in 2014. Beautiful greyish brown dial, which they don't even make any more. I just found the larger size too large for some reason, so sold it. A few years later, I got the blue dial Bond at 39.5mm, mainly as I was blown away with that dial! Even though I don't normally go for blue dials, the AT is a winner!

The sad part is, that I totally agree with you about the crown. And it was the main reason I finally sold my AT. It would unscrew freely - too freely, actually - and when I tightened it up, it was almost as though I had to force it to stay in position against the case. I was always afraid of using too much force. Regardless of how tight I screwed it in, it seemed to eventually loosen during the day. I never had that issue with another watch. And it did seem very stiff as well when screwing it in. I have really been interested in the new Railmaster, but I kind of get the same feeling with the crown as I screw it in.

And I never got to the point where the watch fit really comfortably. Possibly because I got the smaller size, it just didn't have the same surface area to settle into my wrist, and always seemed top heavy.

The rest of the watch, the looks are amazing. The dial clinches it! I really like the subtle use of the light blue accents as well. Finish on the watch is excellent, and I honestly would not say I find the Rolex any better. Possibly not GS quality, though. That is pretty hard to beat, even for other brands. I do really love the hands on the AT as well.

Anyway, I certainly hope you end up finding a comfortable fit. And I hope all the minor issues get settled and you end up loving the watch! Keep us posted with pics and comments.

Congratulations!

Cheers,
    Carl
    Those who possess a sense of entitlement are seldom satis​fied.

OP, you made my day and ruined it at the same time lol. I agonized between the blue and black for many months, and this continued all day at the store on the day I made my purchase. Ultimately, I came home with the black dial. I continued to agonize over whether I made the right choice for many months after that. Finally, I came to terms with black being the right choice, and now you and this post with your delicious pictures just sent me back into a tizzy.

Great watch.

Congrats!
    Omega Seamaster Ceramic Blue
    Omega Speedmaster
    Speedy Tuesday
    Omega Aqua Terra 2017 model - black
    Tudor Black Bay Bronze
    Brown (79250BM)
    Tudor Black Bay
    Bronze Blue (79250BB)
    Seiko Brightz 'Grand Cocktail' (Sdgm001)
    Seiko Brightz 'Grand Cocktail' (Sdgm003)

On the list:

Grand Seiko (snowflake)

Congrats on the new watch.

I have a couple of ATs. I hate the bracelet. That stupid clasp with no micro adjust destroyed what feel was one of the nicest bracelets I have ever owned. It was ether a bit too tight or a bit too loose. I parted ways with the band.

I agree the Omega AT looks good with a suit at the office and hanging out with friends in shorts. A very versatile watch.

As for the crown, mine was rough like yours on one of my ATs, I fixed it by unscrewing the crown and pulling it out to time set mode. I then took a bit of waxed dental floss and flossed the case tube threads a bit and the crown was smooth ever since.

The flossing will not hurt the watch. This is something i also do on my Seiko divers(home of the rough screw down crown)

Remember you can still get a HAQ for a good price also. I love my Longines VHP and I got it for a good price at my local AD. Such a great looking and great feeling watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by carlhaluss View Post
    Excellent review, and great photos as well! Great that you went for something different, even though you are not normally a big Omega fan.

I think the move by Omega from vertical to horizontal on the teak dial is a good move. I also like that they look a bit uneven and adds to the interest and character of the dial. They have done a great job with the date window, moving it to 6 o'clock, coloring the wheel same as the dial, and the silver numerals to match the dial text.

After owning a few GS watches, I agree about the bracelet. It does feel a bit rough in comparison. Although I owned an AT, I never found it too uncomfortable, but edges did seem a bit sharp at times. It can be difficult to get a good fit on a bracelet with butterfly clasp. Can't remember if it has half links or not? Anyway, same with GS. I have to say I prefer the AT bracelet, though, as I like the more casual look and feel.

Actually, I owned two ATs. I got my first one when the new 8500 was introduced back in 2014. Beautiful greyish brown dial, which they don't even make any more. I just found the larger size too large for some reason, so sold it. A few years later, I got the blue dial Bond at 39.5mm, mainly as I was blown away with that dial! Even though I don't normally go for blue dials, the AT is a winner!

The sad part is, that I totally agree with you about the crown. And it was the main reason I finally sold my AT. It would unscrew freely - too freely, actually - and when I tightened it up, it was almost as though I had to force it to stay in position against the case. I was always afraid of using too much force. Regardless of how tight I screwed it in, it seemed to eventually loosen during the day. I never had that issue with another watch. And it did seem very stiff as well when screwing it in. I have really been interested in the new Railmaster, but I kind of get the same feeling with the crown as I screw it in.

And I never got to the point where the watch fit really comfortably. Possibly because I got the smaller size, it just didn't have the same surface area to settle into my wrist, and always seemed top heavy.

The rest of the watch, the looks are amazing. The dial clinches it! I really like the subtle use of the light blue accents as well. Finish on the watch is excellent, and I honestly would not say I find the Rolex any better. Possibly not GS quality, though. That is pretty hard to beat, even for other brands. I do really love the hands on the AT as well.

Anyway, I certainly hope you end up finding a comfortable fit. And I hope all the minor issues get settled and you end up loving the watch! Keep us posted with pics and comments.

Congratulations!

Cheers,
    Carl
    Thanks a lot!
    Carl you are speaking the Gospel! Everything you said makes absolute sense. Weirdly, hearing testimonials about the crown from others makes me feel better. Yikes, mine doesn't loosen up as the day goes on though. If that was the case, then yeah I'd looking for a new watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by journeyforce View Post
    Congrats on the new watch.

I have a couple of ATs. I hate the bracelet. That stupid clasp with no micro adjust destroyed what feel was one of the nicest bracelets I have ever owned. It was ether a bit too tight or a bit too loose. I parted ways with the band.

I agree the Omega AT looks good with a suit at the office and hanging out with friends in shorts. A very versatile watch.

As for the crown, mine was rough like yours on one of my ATs, I fixed it by unscrewing the crown and pulling it out to time set mode. I then took a bit of waxed dental floss and flossed the case tube threads a bit and the crown was smooth ever since.

The flossing will not hurt the watch. This is something i also do on my Seiko divers(home of the rough screw down crown)

Remember you can still get a HAQ for a good price also. I love my Longines VHP and I got it for a good price at my local AD. Such a great looking and great feeling watch.
    Thanks for the kind words! I actually own a VHP and I don't feel that it holds a candle to my AT, but I appreciate the suggestion.
    Last edited by Mr.Jones82; 4 Weeks Ago at 23:27.
    Omega: Aqua Terra 220.10.41.21.03.001
    Grand Seiko: SBGV223, SBGV205
    Oris: Aquis, Pro Pilot
    Sinn: LE 556i
    Longines: Conquest V.H.P.
    G Shock: MTG-B1000D-1A,
    GW-9400-3, GMW-B5000D-1, GMW-B5000GD-1, GX-56BB, GW-B5000FB-4JR, GW-M5610MW-7JF, GW-B5600BC-1ER, GW-B5600-2ER, GW-B5600HR-1

That is a gorgeous watch! I like the horizontal lines too. I am a dive watch person but somehow this watch blends that classy dress role with solid sports role perfectly. The case lines and that dial are wonderful.

Congrats on your new watch. It is soo beautiful! And a great review by the way

Excellent review - congrats on the beautiful piece!

Congrats on your new Aqua Terra. Excellent write-up and pics. Thoroughly enjoyed reading your narrative and overall impressions of your AT.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Jones82 View Post
    Yup, my crown is very stiff. It pops okay, no issues with that, but yeah it kind of digs into my fingers when screwing it in. I dont know, I've never had a crown like this, although I think it is loosening up a bit.
    What was your issue? Can you give me some more details? Thanks
    The issue that omega had to fix was that the crown popped instantly into the second position and I couldn’t hand wind it, it was very strange but I got it fixed under warranty. Currently it’s just hard to use and not the best compared to my other watches

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Loved the review and the pictures. Do you think you will ever buy a strap or will you always keep the bracelet on it? I'm wondering how a black or blue rubber strap would look....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information