Just been naughty and gotten myself a vintage Omega- after info!

Thread: Just been naughty and gotten myself a vintage Omega- after info!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Just been naughty and gotten myself a vintage Omega- after info!

First post in the Omega section of the site, having just spent £100 (which I really shouldn't have considering present financial situation lol!) on and I believe genuine vintage Omega off Ebay. The only slight problem is a mark in the centre of the dial, where the seller states it looks like someone's tried to get a mark off the face and made things worse!

From the seller's description:

Case width excluding crown: 34mm

Strap width: 18mm

Strap length: 8 1/2 inches

Movement:17 jewel

Approximate age:1950s

Running: Perfectly and keeping good time

And seller's pictures:

Is it genuine, and does it date from the 1950s? I'll be able to take more pictures when I get the watch which will hopefullly be the day after tomorrow!

Also, what would be the best place to get rid of that mark (which looks more like paint loss sadly). I'd rather that job be done properly and professionally by someone skilled with watches like these - also how much would it cost roughly to put right?
    Last edited by sammyboy; February 12th, 2008 at 17:31.

Re: Just been naughty and gotten myself a vintage Omega- after info!

Well it sounds interesting but cant see the pictures, and they can be worth a 1000 words, youl have to get a good picture and show us the detail. IF its acrylic which it SHOULD / WILL be it maybe polishable with a lot of hard work.

That's a very clean 30mm Cal.285! I like those 30mm Cal.284 and 285. Congrats!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

NEG

The good thing is you haven't paid too much for it...17 series serial no dates it to 1960, so it's a stretch to say 1950's. As for keeping good time and running well, best to budget for a service IMHO, I never believe it and will always factor in the additional cost of a service. I think you will need a re-dial as well $100~$120.

Not sure where you are in the world but Chris Heal in the UK offers restoration services including re-dials. http://www.chealwatch.com/

Land of eternal sunshine (except when it rains)

Nice watch. Based on the serial number your watch is likely from 1959-1961 era. Based on the case Ref # number your watch has the correct movement (cal. 285). However - I think your dial has been redone at some point and not in the original state it left the factory. I say this because your watch is from the "Geneve" line and would usually have the text "Geneve" on the dial. In any case - if you want to get rid of the big stain on the dial would require you to get the dial redone....

Quote Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
    First post in the Omega section of the site, having just spent £100 (which I really shouldn't have considering present financial situation lol!) on and I believe genuine vintage Omega off Ebay. The only slight problem is a mark in the centre of the dial, where the seller states it looks like someone's tried to get a mark off the face and made things worse!

From the seller's description:

And seller's pictures:

Is it genuine, and does it date from the 1950s? I'll be able to take more pictures when I get the watch which will hopefullly be the day after tomorrow!

Also, what would be the best place to get rid of that mark (which looks more like paint loss sadly). I'd rather that job be done properly and professionally by someone skilled with watches like these - also how much would it cost roughly to put right?
    Check out my collection at:

www.omegacollector.com

Now looking at the pictures >>>

Looks very good, can easily replace that xtal anyway if you want otherwise GREAT looking piece.

What did they try to remove the spot with? A belt sander?
    Don

Re: Now looking at the pictures >>>

Cheers for the input everyone! I'm looking forward to receiving it despite the dial damage! I'll have to do a bit of saving to get the dial redone though, technically shouldn't have spent this money lol!.

This will be my 'posh' or more formal watch when it comes, I'm hoping it's going to come for Valentine's Day so I can wear it when me and the missus go out for a nice cosy meal!

@NEG - thanks for the link, I'll check his site out. I'm a little wary of taking the watch to any of my local jewellers or to a person/company I don't know and that has no references - I'd want it re-dialling properly, even if it cost a few quid extra.

Quote Originally Posted by Donf View Post
    What did they try to remove the spot with? A belt sander?
    Don
    lol I dread to think!

Perhaps the 'Geneve' text/logo is where the current 'bald' spot on the dial is?

Dial refinishing isn't cheap. Normally works out at about £120-150.

Chris Heal does some good work & so does Steve at Rytetime. I've never had a dial refinished, but my family watchie uses a guy in London. He is very good.

An Omega xtal is about £30 fitted, worth doing if you can. If not a bit of Polywatch is worth a try.

Nice find

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information