Just got a Pre-Owned PO2500 - Gaining too much time?
Like Tree12Likes
  • 4 Post By bnmike
  • 5 Post By Paulsky
  • 3 Post By cybercat
  • 1 Post By NMGE17
  • 1 Post By DaveandStu

Thread: Just got a Pre-Owned PO2500 - Gaining too much time?

Just got a Pre-Owned PO2500 - Gaining too much time?

Hey!

I'm new to this forum: my wife just got me an amazing gift of a pre-owned PO2500C (she knew I wanted this and I love it). She purchased it from Tourneau (risk averse move for someone who just wanted to make sure it wasn't fake). But anyway, it seems to be gaining about 5-6 second per day (but today it gained 10 seconds). This seems to me to be borderline or just out of COSC limitations (based on a google search). I know nothing about it's service history.

I wanted to know if anyone thought I would be in my right to request a servicing (Tourneau has a 2 year warranty on it) because it should keep better time? And even if it is a reasonable request, would I trust them to do it (reading horror stories online about Tourneau on this forum)? Or just hold out as long as I can and bring it to the Omega Boutique for $550 and get a real servicing.

Thank you!

Pic :)

Name:  bnmike.PO2500.1.jpeg
Views: 93
Size:  188.1 KB
    Paulsky, cybercat, NMGE17 and 1 others like this.

Re: Just got a Pre-Owned PO2500 - Gaining too much time?

Tourneau generally services their watches before selling them. I think you should wait a week or so to see how it’s performing and if gains between 6 and 10 seconds a day you should take it to Tourneau and ask them to regulate it. They have professional watchmakers and deal with lots of high end watches so there’s no reason not to trust them. Certainly there’s no reason to have the watch serviced by Omega for the next few years.
    And congratulations on a great watch.

'
    Congrats on your wife's gift to you, Mike!

The PO2500 has been a great favourite of mine for many years & is a real keeper (somehow I've ended up with 2 now, a C & a D, no difference in performance that I can tell).

Paulsky is spot on with his advice, if needed ask Tourneau to regulate it.

Don't know if this might help in your case, but here it is anyway...

If one of mine's runnning a bit fast, I place it crown upwards overnight, & it almost equals out the unwanted daily gain, give or take.
    (Face up if it's loosing, but that's never happened on the PO2500s)

Neither of mine have ever gained more than around 1 - 3 seconds over 24 hours though.

Little Rolex leaflet from yesteryear below, which holds true for many of my watches, regardless of 3 having Co-Axial escapements.

Good luck!

Name:  ***Rolex clean & time adjust copy.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  167.9 KB
    '
    DaveandStu, bnmike and SeaMonster like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Congratulations on a fantastic PO and wife!

I cannot add to what has already been suggested regarding how to deal with the regulation.

Nigel
    bnmike likes this.

Im a multiple Omega owner as well mate...i believe you have received very sound and practical advice from the members above...
    Hope you enjoy yours as much as we do ours...
    All the best
    Dave
    bnmike likes this.

En cas d'absence, je ne suis pas là. Si vous n'êtes pas là non plus, il n'y a personne.

if gaining that much and seems to be taking momentum, it might be it got magnetised at customs or somewhere along the way,
    I'd make sure it's not the case before shipping / getting the watch opened, these are always good to avoid if unnecessary, and it might get magnetised again on the way back.
    from your description, that's probably what Tourneau would try first, just ask a local watchmaker,
    hope that'll take care of the problem

thanks everyone. i'm going to track it a little closer and plot it throughout the week, then possibly try those Rolex positional tips before taking it Tourneau (can't imagine not wearing it every day!)

En cas d'absence, je ne suis pas là. Si vous n'êtes pas là non plus, il n'y a personne.

Quote Originally Posted by bnmike View Post
    thanks everyone. i'm going to track it a little closer and plot it throughout the week, then possibly try those Rolex positional tips before taking it Tourneau (can't imagine not wearing it every day!)
    about the positions, those exist, yes, but that configuration is particular to rolex,
    every eta, GP, iwc and others I've owned, including the 2500 PO, is crown up to gain, everything else to lose time.
    I never timed which position loses more, but crown up is gain every case I've met,
    variations to this are likely more due to power reserve going down when off the wrist after not enough movement to charge fully during the day than crown up position compensating for gain.
    make a few tests to find out, but, for that much gain, I'd try de-magnetization first

In general, a local watchmaker can demagnetize for me? Or would the torneau store do this for me? Omega boutique? How much does this cost?

Quote Originally Posted by bnmike View Post
    In general, a local watchmaker can demagnetize for me? Or would the torneau store do this for me? Omega boutique? How much does this cost?
    I think it's magnetized - i used the lepsi magnetizer app to detect magnetism and it did detect magnetism (gaining 8 seconds per day on average throughout this past week)

Thread Information