For lack of a better thread title, "What's wrong with this watch?"
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: For lack of a better thread title, "What's wrong with this watch?"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

For lack of a better thread title, "What's wrong with this watch?"

Over the months, I've watched this posting appear and reappear. A couple months ago, I even considered buying it. But on the world's largest watch forum, no one has jumped on this. So, for a relatively clueless newbie, would any of you collectors be willing to opine as to why this isn't moving, or share why I or someone else should jump on a relatively inexpensive Speedy?

Here's the FS posting, now on it's 17th page of bumps. https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/om...e-4933249.html

Re: For lack of a better thread title, "What's wrong with this watch?"

Maybe nothing. I suspect the 38mm case limits interest.

Quote Originally Posted by hoppes-no9 View Post
    Maybe nothing. I suspect the 38mm case limits interest.
    Yes!!!! to the James Spader avatar. What a weird and awesome guy!

I wonder how this 38mm would set on my 6.75 wrist. I've got thin wrists, strong hands, long fingers. My preferred wearer is my 6309 Seiko diver (44mm?) followed by an Omega Cosmic on a nato (37mm, totally different look). The Seiko wears smaller than it is, the Cosmic is just awesome. I wonder where this would fit.

But still, that's a long time for a FS to sit with nary a bite, unless the price is just nuts, and comparing this with others offered (e.g. Joma) it doesn't seem high. So....hmmmm.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Member Horological-psychologist's Avatar

This model speaks to small wrists. 6.5" or below. Also, if the date changes at 3, it might mean that someone tried to change the date between 9pm and 2am bending the date mechanism and needing to be repaired to correct it, which is very costly if sent to Omega. On a piece like this, personally, I wouldn't pay a penny over $1,200, preferably $1,000.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
    "The most dangerous thing in the world is an IGNORANT with INITIATIVE."
    Luis Muñoz Marín

If I was him, I would take a break and start a new listing after a few weeks. Obviously nobody will buy the watch after 160+ bumps.

It's not a popular watch to begin with, and the date change at 3 is a problem people don't want to deal with.

The WUS record still belongs to a 5-year FS listing:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/om...s-1085535.html

Also, why does "pdaigle" go around giving a Like to almost every Omega FS listing?
    TSC likes this.
    the five stages of a watch flipper
    infatuation
    appropriation acquisition justification resale

Thanks, all four of you. I feel like I'm a cat being talked down from a tree, trying to avoid the firefighter intervention. But yes, I'll come down: I'm not going to buy this watch, and - as has been my experience consistently "here," it's great to learn from all of you out there. Thank you! For all the reasons you have stated above:
    1) it's too small (not only do I have 6.75 wrists, but I'm tall/athletic and my arms are long, and my wrists are "flat" rather than "round." This would look silly on me, like the vintage Tissot 24hr Visodate auto I recently acquired, had serviced, and then have to accept looks hilariously small. It's already mostly in the drawer, maybe to be listed here one day.
    2) "condition, condition, condition": this Omega needs a service right out of the blocks, and
    3) it's just not the coolest one out there (vs the JDM racing Speedmaster someone showed off in a "favorites" thread in the last couple of days, which is just the cat's pajamas).

I've seen people do that new post thing. I've only bought one watch on here, but have spent silly hours browsing the FS thread, entirely for entertainment and to learn more. In under a year, I've learned to look only at FS posts with less than 3-or-so replies, and I still see watches popping up that I've seen before. I don't blame the sellers, it's a good and inoffensive strategy. Something that's on the market for awhile doesn't exactly attract buyers. Makes me think of Frank Bascombe in "Indepedence Day," showing houses to the frustrated family from Vermont.
    Last edited by VoyTirando; October 1st, 2019 at 07:55. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by VoyTirando View Post
    Yes!!!! to the James Spader avatar. What a weird and awesome guy!

I wonder how this 38mm would set on my 6.75 wrist. I've got thin wrists, strong hands, long fingers. My preferred wearer is my 6309 Seiko diver (44mm?) followed by an Omega Cosmic on a nato (37mm, totally different look). The Seiko wears smaller than it is, the Cosmic is just awesome. I wonder where this would fit.

But still, that's a long time for a FS to sit with nary a bite, unless the price is just nuts, and comparing this with others offered (e.g. Joma) it doesn't seem high. So....hmmmm.
    I'm watching The Office right now!
    Rolex GMT Master II 16710, Rolex Datejust 116223, Zenith 2542, Seiko SKX031, Seiko SKX173

Quote Originally Posted by Ipromise View Post
    I'm watching The Office right now!
    That's Steve Carell you're thinking of; his avatar is Spader, famous for Sex Lies & Videotape, Blacklist, and other weird and cool stuff :)

(double post, deleted, sorry!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information