Re: Let's see your X-33's thread!

Two posts of this in one day won't hurt:

Name:  X331a.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  143.0 KB
    wemedge likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gopurdue999 View Post
    I need to get one of these one day also. I just keep coming back to it. Ultimate quartz.
    This and the square g-shock DW-5600 are the only quartz you need...

Close to the Southernmost Point continental USA

Had one, sold it, regretted it, bought one again... now it’s mine all mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    wemedge, stockae92 and umarrajs like this.
    Rolex: Submariner - 14060M 2 line; Explorer I MK II 214270
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional X-33 Skywalker - 318.90.45.79.01.001; Seamaster 300M Ceramic - 210.30.42.20.03.001
    Tag Heuer: Carrera WV211A
    Damasko:​ DS30
    Garmin: MARQ Expedition
    Suunto: Core; D6i
    Archimede: 42H Bronze Type B - SW215 Hand Wound

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm thinking about buying a Gen 1 or 2 X-33. Any tips on what to look for, reliability, service or which version is preferable?

Side by side

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    stockae92 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 14060 View Post
    I'm thinking about buying a Gen 1 or 2 X-33. Any tips on what to look for, reliability, service or which version is preferable?
    If you can find a complete one. That would be great. The white space box from Omega tends to deteriorate over time and they've become harder to find but not impossible.

Between the two gens is more preference. Gen 1 has a shiny finished on the bezel and pushers while the Gen 2 is matte finish with a better crown.

Cant go wrong with either but the Gen 2 is the one astronauts wear to space but is more pricey than Gen 1 imo.

Quote Originally Posted by 14060 View Post
    Look for one that's fully functioning and tested. On rare occasion the alarm or the EL would fail. Just make sure those works. Another thing to look for on Gen 1 (maybe very early Gen 2?) is that in rare cases, the buttons would fall out because the screw that held it came undone. There was a famous vid with the a X-33 repair done in space by astronaut, and also I have X-33 with prior service paper that indicates such issue (Omega replaced all for buttons free of charge back in 2011). Again, these are rare issue, but they happened. Originally Gen 1 has double AR coating on the crystal, I think it was changed to inside only AR coating some point in Gen 2.

Reliability are pretty good on them I think, at least I heard less issue from X-33 than Breitling Aerospace.

Servicing them depends. I do DIY battery change, make sure the gasket is in good condition, clean the back, make sure the gasket is sitting properly before closing it up. You can have Omega do battery change as well. I don't remember if it was $80 or $160, I supposed they will replaced the gasket and pressure test the watch as well. If I am not mistaken, battery replacement can be done at Omega Boutique here in the US (at least that's what the OB in South Coast Plaza told me).

If the watch have a non-SQ movement (movement besides the 1666C), they will identify your watch as "running out of spec" and suggest replacing the movement for $500. Its actually not a bad price, I think Breitling charge much more for their SQ movement in Aerospace.

The difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2 are Gen 1 has polished bezel insert and buttons, Gen 2 has a different crown design that's easier to "pull out", Gen 2 has bi-directional bezel with lume dot while Gen 1 has uni-directional bezel with no lume dot. And Gen 2 case back has more Omega markings on it from the factory.

Gen 2 is more expensive in the market right now, but some people do prefer the style of Gen 1. The Gen 2 crown makes a difference when using it on the wrist.

blues45, 14060 and cboulakia like this.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

GTA, Ontario, Canada, the True North strong and free

I remember reading accounts of Gen 1 crowns failing as well - basically collapsing when pushed in if I recall. Not sure how pervasive a problem it was.

Something in the Gen 2 crown design remedied the issue, and some guys were even asking for (at service) or DYI-ing Gen 2 crown installations on Gen 1 models.

I'm sure there are some threads around on it.
    DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM

I've been in the hospital for 14 hours and counting wait for my first born to come.
    The X-33 can be used for more than just Mission Control, it can also be used to time contraction intervals. This watch will have even more special meaning to me as I will be wearing it when my son will be born.Name:  20190323_085927.jpeg
Views: 78
Size:  50.3 KB

pascs, duc, fish70 and 5 others like this.

Nice to see this post on X-33s and also to see old posters I had read when I got both gen1 and gen2 years ago. Just pulled out the gen1 and had a battery change (in Osaka Japan) for $35.00). My gen2 also had lay dormant in the collection and needed a new battery. I was having trouble synching hands to digital time so I put the watch away. Yesterday I sent it to the Tokyo Swatch Group service center and got some prices: $218usd for battery, pushers changed and sonic cleaning. Overhaul: $417usd includes replacing to newer 1666C version.

older shot of the Omega collection
    blues45 likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information