Looking for your honest opinions... To Fix Or Not To Fix. That is the question.

Thread: Looking for your honest opinions... To Fix Or Not To Fix. That is the question.

Looking for your honest opinions... To Fix Or Not To Fix. That is the question.

Greetings Fellow Omegaholics. Months and months ago, I had purchased an original (late 60s early 70s) OMEGA Geneve Dynamic. I don't remember EXACTLY how much I paid for it but I'm thinking that it was probably no more than around $50.00. (Included ORIGINAL Omega SS buckle and watchband ring as well) The movement ran BUT it needed a crown, new hesalite, a touch-up on the dial and a new band. The estimate that I got to make this watch looking "Factory Fresh" (new dial, hands, hesalite, crown and overhaul on the movement) was well over $800.00. I tried to look on-line to see what this watch is worth but was not able to locate a "value". I did see a Geneve Dynamic EXACTLY like my watch on eBay that somebody was trying to sell for $400.00 with no takers. My question to you all is this... I love all of my OMEGA watches and I'm not a "flipper" or "trader". Does anybody know what a Geneve Dynamic is worth. (Stainless Steel + Date) If it is going to cost me more to fix the watch than what it is worth, it wouldn't make any sense to me to get it repaired/refurbished for the estimated cost. (Especially how this watch is not an heirloom or anything.) What would you do if you were me? (Counting this watch, I have ten Omega Watches so I'm not too worried about having this watch or not.) Get the watch fixed? OR Start the bidding for the case and movement at $50.00? Looking forward to all of your opinions. Thank you!!

Re: Looking for your honest opinions... To Fix Or Not To Fix. That is the question.

without pics all I can tell you is avg price for vintage dynamics is $400-$700 depending
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Re: Looking for your honest opinions... To Fix Or Not To Fix. That is the question.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBaeker View Post
    without pics all I can tell you is avg price for vintage dynamics is $400-$700 depending
    I forgot about a pic!! (oops!!) Here's a pic of the condition that it's in right now...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Depending on whether you find the state of the dial tolerable or not, you can get that on the road for little more than the cost of the service. A new crown and (get both ends of the) stem will cost peanuts as will the other parts. I'd get it up to working spec and then just keep my eye out for a dial. These cases are usually quite superb at keeping the movement (probably a 565) impeccable.
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity. Seneca

Banned

...and if you don't feel up to the task, Matt will buy it and put it out to stud in his Dynamic pasture.

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    Depending on whether you find the state of the dial tolerable or not, you can get that on the road for little more than the cost of the service. A new crown and (get both ends of the) stem will cost peanuts as will the other parts. I'd get it up to working spec and then just keep my eye out for a dial. These cases are usually quite superb at keeping the movement (probably a 565) impeccable.
    I think what they quoted me was $450.00 for the movement (even though it runs) and I think that also includes the crown (maybe stem) and new hesalite, $300 just for a new dial and $40.00 for a new set of hands. As far as I know, all I need is a new hesalite (this one is cracked and chipped), crown and MAYBE a stem and I could probably live with the dial the way it is. The hands look A-OK to me. Not sure if they'd be willing to maybe just replace the hesalite, the missing crown and if it needs it, the stem.

Thread Information