Misaligned chronograph hour hand on Speedmaster Pro

Thread: Misaligned chronograph hour hand on Speedmaster Pro

Misaligned chronograph hour hand on Speedmaster Pro

Two days ago I received a Speedmaster Pro 3570.50 that I purchased from a reputable eBay dealer. I just had the bracelet resized today, so I've just begun wearing it and paying attention to its operation.

It appears that the hour hand of the chronograph is a little ahead of time (i.e., it is past the hour marker or the midway point between hour markers, when the chronograph minute hand is at 30).

Name:  Chrono at 1 hr_comp.jpg
Views: 1375
Size:  262.0 KBName:  Chrono at 1.5 hr_comp.jpg
Views: 1314
Size:  250.1 KBName:  Chrono at 2 hr_comp.jpg
Views: 1326
Size:  251.7 KB

I failed to note whether it is exactly aligned on 12 (i.e., "0" hours) when the chronograph is reset. I don't want to reset it right now because I'm watching to see if the overshoot grows with each passing hour on the chronograph; right now I've got pictures with the chrono at 1, 1.5, and 2 h elapsed time.

First, I'm asking for thoughts on the cause of and solution to this problem (or maybe this is within tolerance?).

Second, after 6 h of monitoring, the watch has picked up 8 s compared to my laptop clock (~32 s/d).

The case, bracelet, crystal, etc. are in near mint condition with nary a scratch. Thus, I'm a little surprised that it seems to have these mechanical issues.

One other bit of context: I have owned a Speedmaster Auto Reduced for several years and have had no such problems with that chronograph.

Re: Misaligned chronograph hour hand on Speedmaster Pro

same here,is a common issue on the speedy,use it and enjoy it!
    Alessio Scala

Rolex GMT Master 2 - 116710LN
    Rolex Submariner - 114060

Omega Speedy pro - 3570.50.00
    H20 Kalmar 2 ...coming soon

Seen this issue before and AL of Archers explained the problem but cant remember hopefully he sees the thread.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys for your comments. I found a response from Al from March 12, 2014 that addressed the chronograph hour marker not resetting exactly to 12 (i.e., '0').

As I mentioned above, I didn't pay attention to how mine resets and right now I'm letting the chronograph run to see how it looks all the way around the dial. So far, the misalignment seems to be holding steady (i.e., just slightly past the respective hour marker with each hour elapsed on the chronograph). I'll definitely note how the chronograph hour hand looks when I do reset it late this evening.

Name:  Chrono at 4 hr b_comp.jpg
Views: 1236
Size:  255.0 KB

So should I contact the seller (overseas) and complain, or is this just the sort of thing that I should live with?

I had the same issue with mine. Thankfully it was only slightly off so it did not drive me entirely crazy. Had it trued up when sent it in for service and now just fine.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Both mine have done this. Not a big deal. Can be fixed at a service if required, but I personally wouldn't bother

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Looks like just a simple case of the hour hand not having been (re)installed exactly in the right position.

Regarding gaining 32s/d, many chronos (don't know about Omega) run very slightly faster when the chrongraph is engaged. Engaging the chronograph puts more load on the movement, which reduces the amplitude, which increases the rate.
    Stefan Vorkoetter: Programmer, hobbyist, amateur watchmaker, pilot, and collector of fountain pens, slide rules, calculators, and watches.

::subwave:: Chronograph Sea-Gull "1963" ChronographVortix Evolution (Explorer/Ranger homage) Vortix Adventurer (Sub/Explorer homage) • Black Lagoon (Black Bay homage) • Velocimaster V-33 (X-33 homage) • Штурманские (Sturmanskie) Chronograph Полет (Poljot)/Sekonda Alarm • Восток Амфибия (Vostok Amphibia) 420 with Cavalry Dial • Timex Expedition

Thread Information