Moonwatch auto vs manual?
Like Tree11Likes
  • 5 Post By fetasigma
  • 2 Post By TwentiethCenturyFox
  • 4 Post By rfortson

Thread: Moonwatch auto vs manual?

Moonwatch auto vs manual?

Hi everyone. Been trying to read about the Moonwatch as much as I can. First, I am not even sure that the Moonwatch still is or was available in an automatic. If so, can someone share insight on which is the preferable choice? Am I on track to feel that the winding Moonwatch is more iconic therefore more popular? Any difference in accuracy/movement? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Moonwatch auto vs manual?

There should not be any diffrence in accuracy between the moonwatch and speedy reduced but they are a diffrent movement,and I belive the reduced is no longer Avaliable. The reduced isn't really a moonwatch for many reasons.
    When you talk about moonwatch, in most folks eyes you are talking about a hesalite solid caseback speedmaster Profesional wich is manual only. Anything else really isn't a moonwatch just like sapphire crystal doesn't really look right either. Here is my 69 with patina to spare. They are great watches, I have the Bulova reissue as well which I love, but that is another watch for another forum.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    j1n, rfortson, Jaqesq and 2 others like this.

The differences are enormous. You can search here or google the history of the "moon" watch Speedy. Unless you are seriously limited by budget the only choice is getting the Speedmaster professional moonwatch i.e. manual.
    rfortson and georgegervin44 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

j1n

Quote Originally Posted by fetasigma View Post
    There should not be any diffrence in accuracy between the moonwatch and speedy reduced but they are a diffrent movement,and I belive the reduced is no longer Avaliable. The reduced isn't really a moonwatch for many reasons.
    When you talk about moonwatch, in most folks eyes you are talking about a hesalite solid caseback speedmaster Profesional wich is manual only. Anything else really isn't a moonwatch just like sapphire crystal doesn't really look right either. Here is my 69 with patina to spare. They are great watches, I have the Bulova reissue as well which I love, but that is another watch for another forum.

What a Beauty!!!!

Glad you like it one of the jewels of my collection

The hesalite (a polite word for "plastic") crystal, solid caseback, manual wind Speedmaster Professional is the only mechanical one from Omega still flight certified by NASA (there is the X-33 Ana-digi quartz as well, cool watch but not "the moonwatch"). The current model number is 311.30.42.30.01.005.

Here's mine from 19 years ago. Go pick one up from the boutique next week and I'll bet you get special treatment seeing as it's the 50th anniversary of man landing on the moon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Like you and many others, I am searching and debating on which Speedy to get. Whichever one I get, it will be the most expensive timepiece in my collection. I went to a boutique over the weekend because I was concerned about the size difference. There were no Reduced in the store but I was able to look at both the FOIS and the Professional (as well as some other versions) on my 7.5 inch wrist. The Professional was my favorite "on wrist" and all of them were terrific. I still lean towards finding a Reduced (because I seriously believe I will love it as well), but I want to see it in the flesh first. I also love the idea of watches as family heirlooms and since I have a daughter, she may be able to wear and enjoy a reduced in the future. I could then get my Speedy Pro after gifting her the Reduced, but that's at least 15 years from now.
    Omega Seamaster
    Tissot T-12 Navigator World Time
    Longines Flagship
    Rado Starliner
    Bulova Astronaut
    Bulova Spaceview
    Bulova Lunar Pilot
    Zodiac SeaWolf

There are really four Speedmaster lines (discounting the quartz outliers like the X-33)

Manual wind Speedmasters inc the current "Moonwatch" models

Modern auto Speedmasters

Reduced Speedmaster autos (chrono functions via a separate module)

Day/date Speedmasters (fully integrated chrono movement based on the 775x ebauche, generally with 6-9-12 subdial arrangement)

If you haven't already looked, do a Google image search on "Speedmaster day date automatic" There's a lot of choice (have a look for the 3210.52)!
    Last edited by Mouse_at_Large; 1 Hour Ago at 22:14.

only speedy that is approved for manned space missions by NASA is the hesalite version, manual wind.

everything else is just a homage piece. I know that is kinda harsh but it is what it is...

I prefer manual wind movements anyway and my main interest in collecting is vintage issued military pieces so I don't mind acrylic... actually prefer them do to overall look and feel it gives the time piece.

anyway, having said this, manual or auto, hesalite or sapphire, go with the one that will make you happy. at the end of the day, that's only thing that matters. it's your watch, your collection.

Thread Information