Moonwatch- Modern vs Vintage (my experience)
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Moonwatch- Modern vs Vintage (my experience)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Moonwatch- Modern vs Vintage (my experience)

So Iíve been on a bit of a journey with the moonwatch. Back in 2017 My wife bought me a moonwatch (my grail) for our anniversary. Leading up to that I had many back and forth discussions and debates over whether I should get a modern hesalite speedy or a vintage. This in addition to the whole other debate of hesalite or sapphire which is another thread in itself. Long story short I decided on a modern hesalite speedy because Iíd have peace of mind that I was the first owner and it would be pristine and any scuffs or scratches would come from me experiencing life with it. I wrote off vintage because I didnít want to deal with servicing and pre owned dings and scratches, not to mention that the price of vintage and modern at the time were relatively close I jusitified getting the brand new.

Fast forward to today. I no longer have the modern speedy. On my wrist sits a 30 year old moonwatch with creamy tritium patina markers and hand and a tapering bracelet. I love the vintage speedy and I donít think I could go back to a modern moonwatch. The vintage is a little more interesting to my eye. Looking at the dial there is so much to see. Whether itís the extra squiggly S and R on the word speedmaster, or the T Swiss Made T at the bottom of the dial, or the aforementioned orange patina markers.

Having said all this it sounds like Iím against modern speedys but if I had to do it all again, Iíd do it the same way. Having the modern speedy afforded me the peace of mind of having a real moonwatch while I began to learn the vast breadth of vintage speedmaster versions and subtle nuances. I had a watch that I loved and moved on to another watch that I love.

None of this should be seen as advice leaning towards modern or vintage. This has just been my experience and I know that when I was first getting into Speedmasters it was a overwhelming decision because of the millions of reference numbers and tiny nuances in differences in little details that most people will never notice.

Whatís been your experience or what influenced your decision on modern vs vintage when you got your first moonwatch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Moonwatch- Modern vs Vintage (my experience)

Modern speedmaster

Vintage Speedmaster

malern, duc, rfortson and 3 others like this.

I love modern and vintage Speedies, but I especially love the vintage Speedy bracelets, which I find vastly more comfortable and better looking than than the modern ones.
    georgegervin44 and bubbaxb like this.
    Cheers,
    Greg

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GregoryD View Post
    I love modern and vintage Speedies, but I especially love the vintage Speedy bracelets, which I find vastly more comfortable and better looking than than the modern ones.
    Agreed! Itís the difference between owning/not owing a Speedy for me. All about the bracelet.

bubbaxb likes this.

duc

Mine was modern (was, because now it's my son's). To be honest, I had similar ideas but haven't been able to articulate what might be compelling me to consider vintage. Now you've done it......Might be time to consider replacing the one I entrusted to my son.
    bubbaxb likes this.

duc

BTW, you could post a photo or two you know. :)

Edit: I just saw yours. Nice. Moar!
    Last edited by duc; June 7th, 2019 at 01:56.
    bubbaxb likes this.

Got my first new Speedmaster in 1978. Gave me the appreciation I have for high end watches. Two years later, I'm at a Malibu Grand Prix go-cart facility playing a pinball machine and the bracelet keeps slapping the glass so hard I thought I was going to break it. Attendant comes by and asks me to remove the watch, which I oblige. Set it on top of machine in front of me in plain sight and finish my game. Look down and watch is gone. Somebody watching obviously grabbed it while I was in play. Most expensive .25cent game I've ever played. Not to mention the sentimental and financial value of that vintage watch today. I still have a staggering amount of remorse for my stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by GregoryD View Post
    I canít agree more! There are so many posts on how the speedy is a strap king and looks good on anything but when it comes to bracelets Iíve found that if you can find the right vintage bracelet that strikes the balance where itís not so janky and cheap feeling the comfort level far exceeds the modern bracelets. The what I call shoulder profile near the watch case is much more delicate on the vintage bracelet. Iím partial to the 1479 bracelet

Quote Originally Posted by duc View Post
    Mine was modern (was, because now it's my son's). To be honest, I had similar ideas but haven't been able to articulate what might be compelling me to consider vintage. Now you've done it......Might be time to consider replacing the one I entrusted to my son.
    If you have the opportunity to browse some vintage speedys in person youíll find that each one has its own character and personality. Iíve kept my eye out for a while for that particular patina color and age on the dial and finally found it in my Apollo XI 20th anniversary. Real diamond in the rough stuff haha.

Quote Originally Posted by 53jd View Post
    Got my first new Speedmaster in 1978. Gave me the appreciation I have for high end watches. Two years later, I'm at a Malibu Grand Prix go-cart facility playing a pinball machine and the bracelet keeps slapping the glass so hard I thought I was going to break it. Attendant comes by and asks me to remove the watch, which I oblige. Set it on top of machine in front of me in plain sight and finish my game. Look down and watch is gone. Somebody watching obviously grabbed it while I was in play. Most expensive .25cent game I've ever played. Not to mention the sentimental and financial value of that vintage watch today. I still have a staggering amount of remorse for my stupidity.
    This the saddest thing Iíve read all day. Hopefully with a sharp eye you can find another speedy from that date range to appreciate the patina thatís developed since then.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information