WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Movement decoration, does it improve performance?

2K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  303andrewp 
#1 ·
I own the 2254 SMP with the 1120 calibre movement (fantastic watch - why did it get discontinued...).

I am aware that the Chronometre grade of the ETA 2892 uses "better" components than the Elabore grade (Glucydur gilt balance wheel to name one) and that Omega modify the movement (winding assembly) to create the 1120.

I have two questions:

Does decoration to the movement improve the operation/efficiency of the movement or is it purely asthetic?

Secondly, does Omega only modify the ETA 2892's winding efficiency or are there other modifications to the base movement?

Cheers

Simon

#2 ·
Does adding facing paint and vinyl stickers to your car make it run better?

There are more modifications to the 1120 then just winding. The rotor and rotor bridge is different. I am sure there are some others too.

If you are trying to justify a non chronometer movement being as good as a chronometer certified movement, good luck! :)

#5 ·
It takes a real man to admit he was wrong, James. b-)

#6 ·
In general, decoration won't improve performance. I had a COSC SW200 that had no decoration. From what I understand, you can order a movement in different grades and different levels of decoration, they are mutually exclusive. Although, Rhodium plating is supposed to prevent corrosion, plus it gives it more of a white gold appearance. However, does anyone have the definitive modifications that the 2892 undergoes to become the 1120?

#7 ·
I believe Omega (ETA) add two more jewels and change the winding mechanism. The reserve is also higher. Let me see if I can find some links to back that up.

#11 ·
Omega modifies the winding system by changing the rotor balls by smaller and heavier rotor balls,winding gears, there are also two extra jewels that are added into the winding system (23 jewels) instead of 21 jewels for an elaboré grade 2892-a2, power reserve is 44hours for a 1120 against 42 hours of power reserve for a 2892-a2. Also finish is better and of course accuracy is better on the 1120 because it passed cosc tests.

#12 ·
I thought that I once read that Omega also finishes the dial side of the movement. Is this correct, or do all of the elaboré grade 2892-a2's come this way?

#13 ·
Thanks for all the responses.

It strikes me as odd the there appears to be no benefit to decoration (other than the corrosion protection of rhodium plating), given that most movements never see the light of day (in contrast to the "go faster stripes" on cars analogy ;-)).

It would be interesting to find out exactly what changes Omega make to the humble 2892 to transform it into the magnificent 1120!

Cheers

Simon

#16 ·
I already wrote what are the changes made by Omega for transforming the 2892 into the 1120, please check post n°2.

#15 ·
How would a rough surface do better then a polished surface when it comes to resisting dust?

They decorate watches out of pride... It shows quality in their work. Some people do open up their watches and write reviews about them. See where this is going?

Pride and Quality in work, giving all you have. This is a long standing tradition in Horology. Any machine can stamp out plates and wheels, but a watchmaker given enough time can make a thing of beauty... So yeah, you are paying extra for something you don't need. There are undecorated ETA movements that pass COSC so they are arguably just as good a time keeper, and yet they cost 1000's less...

:)

G
#20 ·
I would guess that certain finishes would provide better function? My company's aircraft has recently - about two months back - undergone a detailing with a new detailing service. They use a product, which contains a large amount of Glasplexin. The result is better fuel economy. Apparently, the new product this company uses actually reduces parasetic drag. So, guessing finish may in fact effect function?!?!?!

#21 ·
You are talking about airflow and drag. I understand your point, however:

1. Geneva Stripes or Swirls are for decoration, they do not serve a function outside of aesthetics. They do not increase efficiency of the power train, do not increase accuracy etc.

2. Now if we consider the polishing of the gears as being decorative then that possibly has the potential of reducing friction in the gear train, but most of this is really only noticeable under magnification. It would require the teeth faces themselves being polished. Using gold wheels reduces friction as well, which could be considered decorative to the novice, but it serves a function, or at least it did in the past.

However, most forms of improving a watch come from the following:

1. Better design.
2. Better materials.
3. Tighter tolerances.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.