My Perfect Three Piece Omega Collection
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: My Perfect Three Piece Omega Collection

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My Perfect Three Piece Omega Collection

As with many men of my generation, the Seamaster Professional "Bond" is the watch that began my interest in watches. As I grew up, began my career and began to have disposable income, it remained an object of desire and one that I aspired to own one day.

Life happened. I developed other interests and priorities. I pursued other passions. Then, three years ago, my lovely wife (much to her chagrin) rekindled my interest in watches with a Citizen chronograph she gifted to me for Christmas.

I was reminded of the reassuring feel of having a well fitting watch on my wrist. I found myself absent mindedly watching the light play across the intricacies of the dial. I took pleasure in timing the most mundane tasks and watching the chronograph seconds hand and subdials working in tandem.

A colleague (a watch enthusiast and Omega fan) then took that blossoming interest of mine and encouraged me to explore the world of mechanical watches. We spent hours discussing our mutual interest in Seiko, Hamilton, micro brands and I marvelled at his collection of time pieces that seemed well out of reach of anything I could ever contemplate owning.

His Grand Seiko Spring Drive "Snow Flake" opened my eyes to the potential beauty and skill that can one can find in some of Grand Seiko's amazing dials. I marvelled at his JLC Reverso Grand Sport. His collection of Omega's, however, is what always captured my deepest interest.

As with the rest of his diverse and interesting collection, he was not shy about allowing me to examine every detail of his of Planet Ocean 2500, his vintage Speedmaster Professional or of his "Bond" Seamaster Professional.

Then, near a Christmas Holiday season, he let me borrow his "Bond" Seamaster. And THAT... that, was the true beginning of my obsession. Being able to glance at my childhood icon whenever I chose and the inexplicable feeling of having it on my wrist was just too much. I became determined to own one of those watches.

I began searching preowned watch websites. My friend referred me to this wonderful forum. Then, one day, my friend decided he was going to sell his Seamaster Professional. That became my first Omega. It will always remain in my collection both because of its prominence in my youth and because of the esteem I have for the person I acquired it from.

My interest in history along with the wonderful story of the Omega Speedmaster is what drew me to that watch. The more I learned about it's history with NASA, it's affiliation with the Apollo missions (and the enthralling story of Apollo 13's 14 second burn), the more obsessed I became with the "Moonwatch". That watch became my second Omega.

While I love my "Bond" Seamaster and the Speedmaster Professional is undoubtedly my favorite watch of all time, I also developed a keen interest in the most recent 8900 caliber Master Coaxial movements from Omega. The engineering, the "specs" appeal to me in a way that only cars had in the past. I agonized over the merits of the Planet Ocean 8900 vs the Aqua Terra 8900. I analyzed the details of the glossy ceramic dials of the PO vs. the beautiful "teak" dials of the AT.

After more deliberation than I will ever care to admit (and the unexpected surprise of a ridiculously good deal), I have recently acquired a grey dial Aqua Terra 8900.

This is my perfect three piece collection. While I have other watches (some permanent, some not) and while I know this is not the end of my journey, I feel that these three will always be my core.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I would love to hear your stories as well.

Name:  Screenshot_20191113-153652_1573677497540.png
Views: 159
Size:  2.18 MB

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Congratulations on a beautiful and well rounded collection of OMEGA watches.

I hope to share my own OMEGA story here very soon.

Congrats again and thank you for sharing your story.

René
    Citizen Navihawk
    Momentum Supernova, Titan II (GONE--gifted to a friend's son), Aquamatic II (Blue Dial)
    OMEGA Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch (ref 310.30.42.30.01.005), Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial Chronometer (ref 233.30.41.21.01.001)
    Seiko SKX007 (GONE--gifted to my uncle)
    Steinhart Marine Chronometer II Roman (Unitas 6498), Nav. B-Chrono II DLC (ETA Valjoux 7750)(SOLD), Nav. B-Uhr II (Unitas 6497)(SOLD), Ocean One Vintage (ETA 2824-2) (SOLD), Ocean One Vintage Red (ETA 2824-2) (SOLD)

Re: My Perfect Three Piece Omega Collection

Congratulations!

Nigel

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You have a nice collection there. My three piece Omega collection, is not that dissimilar to yours! Great minds....
    Attached Images Attached Images

AUTOmaniak, Horoticus, ven and 3 others like this.
    I could stop buying watches, but I'm no quitter.

Rolex Submariner Ceramic ND 114060. Grand Seiko SBGN001G GMT. Omega Aqua Terra 8500. Omega Planet Ocean 8800. Omega Speedmaster 1863.

Casio MRG-8100B-1AJF. Casio MRG-7600-1AJF. Casio MRG-7700-1AJF. Casio GMW-B5000-1ER. Casio GMW-B5000TB-1ER. Casio GW-5000-1AJF.

Great story, and a great collection! I hope to add an Omega to my roster in the near future too. I'm envious! 🙂

Very nice collection! You have all the bases covered with your watches, but the question is, will you ever get down to just those three. I find it extremely difficult to keep it under 5-6.

Banned

Nice story, congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by HiggsBoson View Post
    You have a nice collection there. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.watchuseek.com/images/smilies/icon_good.gif[/IMG] My three piece Omega collection, is not that dissimilar to yours! Great minds....
    Very nice! How do you like your AT bracelet?

Quote Originally Posted by Msiekierski View Post
    Very nice collection! You have all the bases covered with your watches, but the question is, will you ever get down to just those three. I find it extremely difficult to keep it under 5-6.
    Probably not. When I consider some Seiko's that I own and love as well as the Citizen my wife gave me, I doubt I could ever drop below six.

ven

Great read and thanks for sharing your story. I too love the seamaster and will be adding one to my little family at some point.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast