Nato straps look cheap? - Page 4
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Nato straps look cheap?

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Re: Nato straps look cheap?

Here's mine, my mother thinks it cheapens the look of the watch, and I tend to agree.
    However, I like the fact that it's so easy to remove it and throw into washmashine in no time. Quite handy during summertime!

OMEGA Pocketwatch 19 LB ('23)
    OMEGA DeVille 166.0053 ('69-'75)
    OMEGA Speedmaster Pro 3590.50 ('92)
    OMEGA Seamaster GMT Black 2234.50 ('09)
    ----------------
    Benrus Jungle Master (Unknown)
    Seiko Kinetic 5M42-0A30 ('94)
    Casio G-shock MRG-1 ('96)
    Casio G-shock DW-5600E ('99)
    Casio G-shock DW-8201NT ('01)
    Fossil Matrix watch ('05)
    Swisstime Vatican Swiss guard 500 years anniversary model ('06)
    MTM Blackhawk ('07) Older dial version
    dean. Blue star dial ('08)

Quote Originally Posted by Harry, Denmark View Post
    Its probably because most people associate a "nice" (read expensive, ie more than *gasp* $50) watch with a thick, shiny metal bracelet.
    That's my wife! She hates it when I put my PO on an alligator strap... a Nato would almost be grounds for divorce!

Pilot2 likes this.

I will probably take heat for saying this, but not only do NATO straps look cheap, they are also bad taste when mated to an expensive watch - sort of like wearing A. Testoni dress shoes with white socks or an Armani blazer with a polo shirt. I don't understand the obsession some people have with fancy, expensive watches that look utilitarian and "tool-like". It's like the reverse of the bling-bling look, where everything must be shiny and diamond-encrusted. In my opinion, both of those trends are fundamentally silly. What happened to to going for an elegant, tasteful, appropriate look?

The way I see it, if you want a tool watch, get a Casio G-Shock. And if you buy a Rolex or Omega, don't go around pretending like it's something that an average GI would wear in combat.
    Hammondo likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by capp325 View Post
    I will probably take heat for saying this, but not only do NATO straps look cheap, they are also bad taste when mated to an expensive watch - sort of like wearing A. Testoni dress shoes with white socks or an Armani blazer with a polo shirt. I don't understand the obsession some people have with fancy, expensive watches that look utilitarian and "tool-like". It's like the reverse of the bling-bling look, where everything must be shiny and diamond-encrusted. In my opinion, both of those trends are fundamentally silly. What happened to to going for an elegant, tasteful, appropriate look?

The way I see it, if you want a tool watch, get a Casio G-Shock. And if you buy a Rolex or Omega, don't go around pretending like it's something that an average GI would wear in combat.
    Omegas and Rolexes are in fact tool watches; and a great one at that.. A tool watch doent mean a cheap watch by any means

if you want to treat it like a dress watch, buy a datejust, president or deville.. Seamasters and Speedmasters are designed as tool watches, if you baby them, thats fine, but their designed to be used..
    Chibatastic likes this.

3570.50.00 - 2531.80.00 - Deville -16613 Blue

2010: Breitling Steelfish, Rolex 16622

Hi,

Anyone tape up the back to protect the case from wear? I remember someone mentioning that being advise from Chuck Maddox, re: zulu and nato straps. I looked for anything related to this on his sight but was unsuccessfull.

Quote Originally Posted by children View Post
    omegas and rolexes are in fact tool watches; and a great one at that.. A tool watch doent mean a cheap watch by any means

If you want to treat it like a dress watch, buy a datejust, president or deville.. Seamasters and speedmasters are designed as tool watches, if you baby them, thats fine, but their designed to be used..
    +1

OzO

Quote Originally Posted by Ruche View Post
    Hi,

Anyone tape up the back to protect the case from wear? I remember someone mentioning that being advise from Chuck Maddox, re: zulu and nato straps. I looked for anything related to this on his sight but was unsuccessfull.
    haha guilty! any watch i have that goes on a NATo has a strip of stickytape on the caseback
    Cheers,
    Mark

Insert clever and/or deep and meaningful philosophical quote here

Quote Originally Posted by Ruche View Post
    Hi,

There's no real problem if u throw the strap in the washer and clean the case with warm water and soap every once in a while ;)

case back as beautiful as new:

and heres the beauty on the nato:

Miguel

Quote Originally Posted by Harry, Denmark View Post
    Precisely, thats the whole point, thats why I love the "shock" of seeing good tool watches (Rolex, Omega &c) on 12$ NATOs.

Another thing about NATOs which makes them interesting for WIS is that they have a story. Any WIS worth his/her salt can make a listeners eyes glaze over with just 10% of the knowledge he has acquired about a particular watch. But the coup-de-grace comes when he is finished telling about his watch and continues: "And then theres the strap, a NATO/G10. I deliberately emphasize the "G10" because purists.....&c &c"

Put another way, if I see a Speedmaster or Rolex Sub on a bracelet in the wild I figure that there is a less-than-one-percent chance that the wearer is a WIS - if I see one on a NATO then there is at least a 50% chance of the wearer being a WIS.
    I know what you mean about the chance of the wearer being a WIS higher with a NATO but I don't think the chance of the person not being a WIS is less than one percent because it is worn on a bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by children View Post
    Omegas and Rolexes are in fact tool watches; and a great one at that.. A tool watch doent mean a cheap watch by any means

if you want to treat it like a dress watch, buy a datejust, president or deville.. Seamasters and Speedmasters are designed as tool watches, if you baby them, thats fine, but their designed to be used..
    That's why Rolex and Omega sell their tool watches with NATO bands, right

Seriously, a watch of this caliber looks out of place with an inexpensive nylon strap, IMO. YMMV.
    Hammondo likes this.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread Information