Nato straps look cheap? - Page 8
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Nato straps look cheap?

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Re: Nato straps look cheap?

Gentlemen, next time your wife won't approve a new watch purchase, go ahead and buy it anyway. All you have to do is put it on a Nato and she will think you bought it at Walmart.

disclaimer: openwheelracing's opinions are solely used for entertainment only. Any divorce, bruised nipples, or never ending house chores are not the result of this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxglove View Post
    They don't look cheap. They look casual. Wear what you want! If you're in the board room, wear a leather strap dress watch. Otherwise, if you don't need to be dressed up, then rock the NATO or zulu or whatever.

-Ross

Ross do you have any information for that band laying in the back?

Quote Originally Posted by ripper View Post
    Green i good. :)

WHOA! Is that the "Lo-lite" hardware or some kind of PVD or teflon finish? That is a some serious deep dark black! The combination of the green and the red on the dial is a fantastic combination.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Generally, I only wear NATO straps when I swim. However, while vacationing in Japan this summer, it got so hot during the day that salt residue would form on the back of my shirt and the sweat from my wrist soaked right through my Hirsch strap! As soon as I got back to my hotel, I swapped my Speedy onto a Timefactors NATO.

Good thing I travel with more than one watch and a springbar tool!
    bhall41 likes this.

I like the NATO strap but I see where people are coming from when they say they look cheap. They do look cheap, but that's partially because they are cheap. I think a simple nylon strap on a multi thousand dollar watch needs to have a little something extra. The standard nato straps have flimsy flat rings, and the buckles are always cheap. I think the Rhino/Zulu straps somewhat remedy this, they are thicker, and the rings are nice heavy duty, and rounded. Also, I think the 4 ring Nato/Zulu straps also look better, because it makes it look a little more complex, so it doesnt look like you're just wearing a nylon strap...

I'd still take a nicely designed rubber strap over a nato though, especially on a PO, the OEM PO rubber strap is a work of art.

Quote Originally Posted by Evanm View Post

Bond
    Indeed.

"
    I'm going to find it and I'm going to destroy it. I don't know how yet. Possibly with dynamite. "

Speedmaster Professional 3570.50
    Omega 1950s Gold Bumper
    Casio G-SHOCK DW5600E-1V

I've heard people say, "that looks cheap" about so many great watches that I try not to care about it anymore. It's all about your personal preference; it's really not that different from buying a work of art. I think the only way to make sure noone ever thinks your watch looks cheap is to buy a diamond crusted gold yachtmaster. I know people that have said patek phillipes look cheap and blancpains look like rolex knock-offs..... I'm going to try out some nato straps, and if I enjoy the look, screw what others think. The goal with watches shouldn't really be to look the most expensive.

I also agree that some Omegas and Rolexes are "work" watches... wouldn't think about putting a nato on a Breguet.

On a side note, what's a WUS or WIS?

Quote Originally Posted by DVALK View Post
    I've heard people say, "that looks cheap" about so many great watches that I try not to care about it anymore. It's all about your personal preference; it's really not that different from buying a work of art. I think the only way to make sure noone ever thinks your watch looks cheap is to buy a diamond crusted gold yachtmaster. I know people that have said patek phillipes look cheap and blancpains look like rolex knock-offs..... I'm going to try out some nato straps, and if I enjoy the look, screw what others think. The goal with watches shouldn't really be to look the most expensive.

I also agree that some Omegas and Rolexes are "work" watches... wouldn't think about putting a nato on a Breguet.

On a side note, what's a WUS or WIS?

and
    WUS = Watchuseek (forum)
    WIS = Watch Idiot Savant - dumb in everything but watches, a satire title given to guys who forget their own birthdays but can tell you the movement in a vintage seamaster ;)

Your absolutely right DVALK, people on here generally dont wear specific watches because other people like them, it's because we like them, and they mean something to us. I'm wearing a nato right now, and I love it (although I have to admit, I'm probably going to switch it for the oyster bracelet tonight...)

Quote Originally Posted by Edtv View Post
    I love Nato's , especially the ones made by Maratac. They are super comfortable.
    I put one on my PO because i wanted it as a daily watch and the bracelet is just a bit too dressy for my taste.
    The only thing i don't like is when they get wet they tend to feel like wearing a wet t-shirt and take some time to dry.

This pic is inspring!! I love it! Doesn't look cheap to me.

Russ

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread Information