Nato straps look cheap? - Page 9
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Nato straps look cheap?

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Re: Nato straps look cheap?

Will a Zulu strap damage the sapphire crystal display on the back of the watch? I put a zulu on my Muhle Glashutte 29er Big, and now I'm afraid of scuffing or clouding of the crystal!

Quote Originally Posted by Donn Chambers View Post
    In all honesty, I think your friend is right; it does look cheap. I only wear NATOs in super-casual situations (like on the beach near the water) precisely because it dresses down a watch and no-one will think you are wearing a super expensive watch. Only James Bond would wear one with a Tux (ala "Goldfinger"). :)
    Perfect. Until I got a black/orange NATO, I never wore my Flightmaster out of the house a single time because it looks like such an expensive watch on metal. Now that it's on a NATO, it just looks like a big stupid watch with a lot of orange goin' on and it goes great with all my cargo shorts from Target.
    C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Desktop\cam2001\SM-9-5-10.jpg

I love wearing the PO on a NATO. Especially at the beach ...

or for some long computer sessions ...

or for some color with the great white...

or for any random combo I want ...

Sure the untrained eye may think it is a cheaper watch, but I could care less. Makes me feel safer if I am walking home in Baltimore, too ;)
    camb66 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The rings on your green 5-ring zulu seem closer together than the black one pictured just under it. If you don't mind my asking, where did you get it? Also, is the overall length of the band shorter as well? I've got a 6" wrist and am looking for a shorter zulu because I enjoy the style, but 12" is just too much for me. Thanks for the input, and that's a beautiful planet ocean! Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by npsquire1 View Post
    The rings on your green 5-ring zulu seem closer together than the black one pictured just under it. If you don't mind my asking, where did you get it? Also, is the overall length of the band shorter as well? I've got a 6" wrist and am looking for a shorter zulu because I enjoy the style, but 12" is just too much for me. Thanks for the input, and that's a beautiful planet ocean! Cheers!
    The rings are a bit closer on the green than the black. I didn't order them this way (or at least I don't think I did), but they are Rhino straps (Nato Straps and Rhino Straps - Time Factors). They are thicker than normal NATO straps, so they stick out of my wrist a bit more. They are about the same length as my maratec bond strap. Makes them hard to wear under a dress shirt for work, but great for the beach or casual outing if you want something rugged.
    npsquire1 likes this.

thanks much mate!

Now, don't get me wrong, I like NATO straps. But I think the reason they look cheap is because they are cheap.
    Dixan and Hammondo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by npsquire1 View Post
    The Rhino-style strap is even longer and thicker than a normal Zulu. My wrists are not much bigger than yours, and I can't wear them.

I've got some Timefactors zulu's and nato's, and for me they work the best. They are very soft, so they wrap nicely around the wrist. Zulu's seem to work better in general, since they don't make the watch sit so high.

Quote Originally Posted by glennhl View Post
    Now, don't get me wrong, I like NATO straps. But I think the reason they look cheap is because they are cheap.
    NATO straps -- and cloth/nylon straps more generally -- are very much in style right now. And, apparently, not only for wear during the Summer.

It is also worth noting that fashions change. For example, rubber straps are far more common on "high end" watches than they used to be. I don't think that raises nearly as many eyebrows as it used to in some quarters.
    Last edited by Kronos; August 19th, 2011 at 01:20. Reason: added text

Quote Originally Posted by capp325 View Post
    I will probably take heat for saying this, but not only do NATO straps look cheap, they are also bad taste when mated to an expensive watch - sort of like wearing A. Testoni dress shoes with white socks or an Armani blazer with a polo shirt. I don't understand the obsession some people have with fancy, expensive watches that look utilitarian and "tool-like". It's like the reverse of the bling-bling look, where everything must be shiny and diamond-encrusted. In my opinion, both of those trends are fundamentally silly. What happened to to going for an elegant, tasteful, appropriate look?

The way I see it, if you want a tool watch, get a Casio G-Shock. And if you buy a Rolex or Omega, don't go around pretending like it's something that an average GI would wear in combat.

We are all entitled to our opinions and the beauty of watches is that you can choose what you like. That being said, what the heck is an A. Testoni dress shoe?

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast