Nato straps look cheap?
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Nato straps look cheap?

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Nato straps look cheap?

So, Im waiting for a friend with my speedy on black nato.. So my friend sees me and says, you go a new watch?
    and i told her it was just a new strap, and a few mins of talking, she advised me to change to leather or bracelet saying she thinks it looks cheap...

3570.50.00 - 2531.80.00 - Deville -16613 Blue

2010: Breitling Steelfish, Rolex 16622

Re: Nato straps look cheap?

I usually get the same reaction to my cloth straps. I love nato/zulu etc on watches, quite possibly the most comfortable strap you can wear a watch on, but they don't really impress others outside of the WUS/WIS folk

I think they look military, utilitarian, and toolesq. It is a strap to keep the watch on your wrist using a material that is cheap, easy to clean, fits any size of wrist out of the box, durable, and of course a design that can resist lug pin breaks. .
    Not as clumsy or as random as a cell phone. An elegant timepiece for a more civilized time.

Quote Originally Posted by subrosa View Post
    I usually get the same reaction to my cloth straps. I love nato/zulu etc on watches, quite possibly the most comfortable strap you can wear a watch on, but they don't really impress others outside of the WUS/WIS folk

I think they look military, utilitarian, and toolesq. It is a strap to keep the watch on your wrist using a material that is cheap, easy to clean, fits any size of wrist out of the box, durable, and of course a design that can resist lug pin breaks. .
    +1

My wifes opinion. '' the best way to make an expensive watch look cheap''.
    nikola0406 and Hammondo like this.
    Best regards from sunny England
    Mark.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

is it mostly only women that think this? or nonWIS in general?

3570.50.00 - 2531.80.00 - Deville -16613 Blue

2010: Breitling Steelfish, Rolex 16622

Nope - everyone who comments on my watches derides the NATO straps on them. Even my friend, who is watch interested but doesn't really know what a NATO/G10 strap is.

Are they "the Emperor's new clothes"? No, I think they downplay my watches nicely. Its probably because most people associate a "nice" (read expensive, ie more than *gasp* $50) watch with a thick, shiny metal bracelet. I have been talking about a Speedmaster Pro to my girlfriend the last twenty years, and she kept saying "Well, if you want one, buy one!" So I finally did, and she said: "THATS the watch you have been talking about!?" I love it - understated is the way to go, and a NATO is perfect for that
    Harry, Denmark

"That a wristwatch is a small celestial theater. It is a small sky. A device for the measure of shadows." - Gabriel Gudding

Seiko 7549-7010 vintage 300m Tuna / Seiko 6309-7040 vintage 150m diver(s) / Citizen Nighthawk GMT / 1964 Seiko Seikomatic / 1964 Seiko Seikomatic Weekdater

I really like them. In fact, it's hard for me to go back to bracelet once it's on.

For me it's all about having options. The NATO strap is one option among many. naturally not everyone will like it. In precisely the same way I have a friend who taunts me about the wide variety of strange animals that have been murdered (not my choice of word) to provide me with funky straps. Mind you she is now also convinced that you can get Meerkat skin straps. I'm going to go to hell...
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity. Seneca

Well, females are outlooks biased creatures.

NATO is very durable and versatile strap, originally planned for military usage. And when its question of MIL standards...those straps are GOOD.

OzO

i love NATO straps

just bought a new one actually! navy blue for my Seiko Pepsi Diver
    Cheers,
    Mark

Insert clever and/or deep and meaningful philosophical quote here

In all honesty, I think your friend is right; it does look cheap. I only wear NATOs in super-casual situations (like on the beach near the water) precisely because it dresses down a watch and no-one will think you are wearing a super expensive watch. Only James Bond would wear one with a Tux (ala "Goldfinger"). :)

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread Information