Need advice buying my first vintage Omega Seamaster

Thread: Need advice buying my first vintage Omega Seamaster

Need advice buying my first vintage Omega Seamaster

I was hoping someone could give me their opinion on this vintage Omega Seamaster. I have pictures attached. I want to make sure it is not a frankenwatch. I’m new to watches and this is my first vintage and first luxury watch.

Price is $995.00

Below is the full description from the seller:

“Fully serviced April 2019, automatic cal 501 movement, patinaed gilt dial, hand polished stainless steel case, smooth case back, NOS genuine Omega acrylic crystal, gently worn leather strap, alloy mainspring, signed crown.

Size:
    34.0mm Bezel (excluding the crown)
    11.4mm Thick
    18mm Lug to Lug
    41.7mm Tip to Tip

Case - Hand polished stainless steel case. Stainless steel snap on case back. Some fine scratching on the bezel and on the case back. Reference number 2846 8 SC 2848 engraved inside case back.

Crystal - Genuine NOS Omega acrylic crystal installed during service April 2019.

Hands - Appear to be original with patina developing. Red center sweep second hand.

Dial - Good gilt two tone cross hair dial with honest patina. Applied Omega logo and hour markers. Painted Seamaster and automatic branding, and minute track in excellent condition.

Band - Gently worn brown genuine leather strap with silver buckle.

Movement - Original Omega automatic caliber 501, 20 jewels, hand winds. Serial number 16035549 indicates the movement was made in 1958. Fully serviced April 2019. Runs strong and is currently performing at +/- 22 seconds per day.”

Do you think the price is fair?
    Is this a good movement from Omega?
    Does the dial, hands, crown etc. look original?
    Does the dial look restored or repainted?
    Should I be discouraged because it was polished?
    Should I be discouraged because the crystal was replaced?
    Any specific questions I should ask the seller?

Any advice is appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Need advice buying my first vintage Omega Seamaster

This watch is not worth $995. Dial appears to have been repainted at an earlier point in its life. A decent job but I’d expect this caliber to more likely have a coat hanger shaped s than the rounded on on Seamaster and the crosshairs is a bit thick. The crown is not correct for this model should have a “cloverleaf” crown. Case is
    Beat up and polished. Capable of much better time than +/- 22 so concerned about the quality of the service. If the dial was all original, this would still be a $5-600 piece due to the poor case condition. If it is a refinished dial the price is only $2-400. Either one the price is way too high.
    I AM A WATCHAHOLIC

Too expensive, looks like it has been messed around with as the crown, seconds hand and rotor look wrong, best to wait for an original one to come up even if it means getting it serviced yourself.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I agree as well. Way too high. I’ve 50 + of these over the years ( should have kept them all ) so I have a reasonable amount of knowledge on them. $400-$500 tops. Hang in there , they come up all the time.

There are literally hundreds, if not thousands of these vintage seamasters on the market that cost less and are all original. You'll be happier in the long run if you wait for a piece that you dont have to worry about.

Just keep in mind that maintenance of these vintage movements may be a challenge with regards to finding parts. I have my father's Omega Seamaster 591 caliber and Omega couldn't work on it because they didn't have the parts for it. Maybe some local watchmaker may be able to help you out.

Thread Information