Need help identifying vintage omega watch...

Thread: Need help identifying vintage omega watch...

Need help identifying vintage omega watch...

Hello everyone! I would greatly appreciate any help on finding out more about a vintage Omega pocket watch I received as a christmas gift from my parents. They didn't know much about it, except that it is probably from the early 1900's. It doesn't seem to open (don't know if this is by design or neglect), so I haven't been able to find any serial number or anything that could aid in the identification of it. If anyone has any clue as to the model, caliber, etc... I would be very happy. I've attached a snapshot of the watch in question. It runs good, but isn't possible to set (same here, doesn't know if this is by design or neglect), and the glass is sadly in quite poor condition, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth having it restored if the costs aren't too enormous...

Thanks!
    -- Martin

Re: Need help identifying vintage omega watch...

Is there any information on the case back (If you have a picture of it that you could post, it would help) also how big is it across in mm?

Off-hand, I'd guess it's from ~1912 or so and it looks like some sort of base metal with gilding over it.

As to if it's worth getting repaired? It depends on how you feel about it. If you're looking at it as a gift from your folks and you actually intend to use the pocket watch, then I'd encourage you to send it off to get it restored. It could be as simple as polishing the crystal and doing a basic service... or it could be much more. If you aren't that in to the watch then it's not worth it IMO.

Good luck.

Paul
    My life, in a nutshell

Omega SMP 300 Bond 41mm
    Omega Planet Ocean 45.5mm
    Omega Aqua Terra 42mm
    Longines Master 47mm
    Debaufre Ocean-1 GMT
    Tigershark Diver 39mm
    Glycine Combat 36mm

Thanks for your thoughts!

Well, unfortunately the back is completely blank, which is why I've been having problems finding similar pieces online. That and the fact that it doesn't seem to open. The diameter is ~56mm (face ~46mm). I've also just tested it and found that it wins a whopping 11,8 seconds per hour, but this might be something that could be sorted out with a basic service...

-- Martin

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I made some searches online using the 1912 date you suggested, and found the information that my watch is probably a railroad watch without engraving. I also found info on that page on how to open it... It seems it is from 1914, and is probably one of the largest pocket watches omega made... I found the serial number and tried running it through omegas' search, but it didn't turn up anything. Unfortunately I don't know how to move the movement enough to be able to read anything off it, but it seems the casing might be nickel-plated...

Thread Information