New 2018 SMP 8800's are arriving in the US this week... - Page 14
Like Tree909Likes

Thread: New 2018 SMP 8800's are arriving in the US this week...

Page 14 of 79 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 64 ... LastLast

Re: New 2018 SMP 8800's are arriving in the US this week...

Quote Originally Posted by ajbutler13 View Post
    No, it's not just you. I think it's human nature for owners of an older version of some product to find fault with the newer version. Happens all the time with Omega (the 2500 AT owners, for example, hated the vertical teak dial, the vertical teak owners hate the horizontal planks, and so on). In my view, there's no need to work so hard to justify your purchase. The SMPc is a cool watch. Enjoy it.

I think this is supposed to read 100% opinion, but it's all good. Again, the prior generation SMPc is a cool watch; however, I would pick the new one 100 times out of 100, and I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

[ATTACH=CONFIG][/ATTACH]
    Lol.. But I don't have the SMPc. Mine is the pre-ceramic SMP 2220.80 with that good old wavy dial and aluminium bezel!

I am however tempted to get the grey dial SMP 2018. I feel the grey dial will go well and blends nicely with the striking white numerals on the bezel.

Last edited by imranbecks; September 12th, 2018 at 05:19.
    Emporio Armani AR5860/Jorg Gray 6500 Commemorative Edition/Nautica NCS 600 N15016G/ΩOmega Seamaster Pro 2220.80.00/ΩOmega Seamaster Aqua Terra 231.10.42.21.03.003/Seiko Diver SKX007K/Seiko 5 SNKE51K1/Steinhart GMT-Ocean 1 Pepsi/Tissot Le Locle Automatic

Quote Originally Posted by ajbutler13 View Post
    No, it's not just you. I think it's human nature for owners of an older version of some product to find fault with the newer version. Happens all the time with Omega (the 2500 AT owners, for example, hated the vertical teak dial, the vertical teak owners hate the horizontal planks, and so on). In my view, there's no need to work so hard to justify your purchase. The SMPc is a cool watch. Enjoy it.

I think this is supposed to read 100% opinion, but it's all good. Again, the prior generation SMPc is a cool watch; however, I would pick the new one 100 times out of 100, and I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Attachment 13471645
    It’s human nature to defend your purchase :)

It is a nice piece, just love critiquing the small points...as i have done to every watch ever made! Snobbery I suppose

I love the grey but I still just can't get over the helium valve. Why did Omega have to change it to a conical shape? Such an eyesore that is made worse that it isn't the same shape as the crown. And it sticks out more now than before...
    TechGuyJ likes this.
    Emporio Armani AR5860/Jorg Gray 6500 Commemorative Edition/Nautica NCS 600 N15016G/ΩOmega Seamaster Pro 2220.80.00/ΩOmega Seamaster Aqua Terra 231.10.42.21.03.003/Seiko Diver SKX007K/Seiko 5 SNKE51K1/Steinhart GMT-Ocean 1 Pepsi/Tissot Le Locle Automatic

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by imranbecks View Post
    I love the grey but I still just can't get over the helium valve. Why did Omega have to change it to a conical shape? Such an eyesore that is made worse that it isn't the same shape as the crown. And it sticks out more now than before...
    Beats me too. Compare to the crown it looks kind of weak. There's no purpose or design intent for it be different, it's not solving any ergonomic issues, add traction, etc. It's a minor detail but I guess we have to wait until the next update. Overall, I think it's going to sell well, the date window, maxi treatment and wave dial will be quite popular.

For someone had already a handful of seamaster from different generation and setup( GMT, chrono, Ti, etc). I think this refresh is quite interesting, heck, I am going to make a trip to local BT just to take a look.

After seeing a few real life photo in this thread, the blue one with the big wave is quite stunning. Can any new owner report about the bezel action? did they update the clicker spring system to something better? The old clicker spring bezel on my PO was okay but lacking in precision compare to Rolex/Tudor's spring plunger clicker.
    Last edited by iam7head; September 12th, 2018 at 06:33.
    Rolex Submariner 114060
    Rolex Milgauss GV 116400
    Omega Speedmaster Professional Hesalite/Sapphire Sandwich 3572.50
    Officine Panerai Luminor 1950 372P
    Officine Panerai Luminor Base 000M
    Officine Panerai Radiomir Blackseal 380P
    IWC Pilot's MK XVIII "Le Petit Prince" IW327004
    Cartier Tank Solo XL
    Seagull x WUS Moonphase #7
    Seiko SRP777 "Turtle"
    Casio G-Shock "Mudman" G-9000
    Swatch Sistem51 "Hodinkee" Vintage 84

Thats a very attractive dial. Really nice. Love the lume plots, the waves add interest and the blue really suits it being a dive watch. That aside I can't get my head around the HE valve. Pointless and ruins the symmetry of the date window at 6. Also I find the scalloped bezel difficult to use. With a coin edge bezel and no HE valve and you would have a very compelling watch. Congrats to all owners though

Quote Originally Posted by pkulak View Post
    Just picked up mine from the local AD. I will say that you only see the waves in bright light. And since most people wear their watches indoors most of the time, but put them under lights or sun to take photos, it makes it seem like the waves are very loud.

Here's a sunlight, off-angle glamor shot, and one that represents more of how it looks on the wrist:
    Dan

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......
    My Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/barny.1976/

Current

Ω Omega Speedmaster 3592.50
    Ω Omega Planet Ocean Liquid Metal Limited Edition
    Apple Watch Series 3

Gone

Ω Omega Seamaster 300 60th Anniversary Limited Edition
    Rolex Submariner 114060
    Ω Omega 36mm Railmaster

Ω Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre Limited Edition
    Ω Omega 38mm Aqua Terra "Skyfall"
    Ω Omega Speedmaster 3873.50 Sapphire Sandwich
    Ω Omega Aqua Terra 39mm Starburst blue dial
    Ω Omega Planet Ocean 2209.50
    Ω Omega Seamaster 2254.50

I welcome change and the return of the waves but after seeing the actual owner photos I have some issue with the fundamental shape of the waves. It’s like they are not rounded off enough in the peaks and troughs, and nearly straight lines between, creating almost a zig-zag effect. This is especially noticeable at the bottom of dial near the date window where the “waves” appear more as tops of chevrons. I also think they are too large and not a fine enough pattern. Also hoping the appearance/disappearance of the waves at viewing angles Is more nuanced and gradual and not just a binary “on or off” as one tilts the wrist.

All said I’m looking forward to seeing this in person. Most thankful that Omega didn’t increase thickness too much. There is a lot for me to like here and my 2254 is getting a bit long in the tooth and lonely.
    Last edited by MarkJ61; September 12th, 2018 at 10:45.

I find it interesting that you can still buy the gray dial on the Omega website where all the other standard colors are already sold out. When it was first announced it seemed the buzz was the gray variant, yet it's the only one that's still in stock. Maybe they made more gray this time around anticipating the higher interest?

I'm torn between the blue and the gray dial. I love the difference in the gray, but am nervous that I'm always going to wish I got the classic blue version....
    Omega Speedmaster Professional "Speedy Tuesday" #1
    Omega Seamaster Professional 300m (2018)
    Apple Watch - Series 4 - Silver 44mm

Quote Originally Posted by imranbecks View Post
    Is it just me or do the striking white numerals on the bezel make it look cheap? I prefer how the bezel numbers looked on the SMPc... And weren't the bezel markings supposed to be lumed?

Of course Omega could've gone for liquidmetal bezel numbers but they probably wanted to keep the price of the watch low and affordable.
    I have to disagree, I think the choice of white enamel in the bezel, and even the white 'OMEGA' are done for legibility and don't think it gives a cheapened look. I do like the liquidmetal (cool tech and look) but do think that enamel is undoubtedly more legible and gives it more pop. The old applied Omega logo was pretty awesome, but could potentially make the dial more busy than it already is.

I also am back and forth on lumed bezels. On the one hand, they are super cool. On the other hand, because of the thinness of the font of the numbers and the minute dots, they will surely be pretty weak in lume power compared to the thick indices and hands. So in my opinion while it will surely look awesome when fully charged up (via sun or flashlight), when it is not intentionally charged or exposed to light much, the dial will glow like a torch and the bezel will lag behind...It may not bother people but it bothers me for some reason!

Then again it makes me beg the question, why AREN'T ALL dive bezels lumed? From my understanding, the lume pip and indices are lumed precisely because you need it in the dark depths of the ocean where there is little to no light, so wouldn't you need the bezel to be lumed to see the passage of time too?? I guess you could get away with it if only the pip was lumed and you kinda estimated time passing with the indices...but this just doesn't seem efficient.

I wish they had also kept the applied logo from the SMPc. At certain angles in lighting, the logo (and bottom writing) get lost and the waves are strangely disrupted.

Overall, I'n really happy with the update. Maybe in another 10 years they will release something similar without the waves.

I wish they had also kept the applied logo from the SMPc. At certain angles in lighting, the logo (and bottom writing) get lost and the waves are strangely disrupted.

Overall, I'n really happy with the update. Maybe in another 10 years they will release something similar without the waves.

Page 14 of 79 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 64 ... LastLast

Thread Information