New 2018 SMP 8800's are arriving in the US this week... - Page 23
Like Tree909Likes

Thread: New 2018 SMP 8800's are arriving in the US this week...

Page 23 of 79 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 73 ... LastLast

Re: New 2018 SMP 8800's are arriving in the US this week...

Quote Originally Posted by Toothbras View Post
    I don’t think it’s a terrible looking watch, but saying it’s a “Sub killer” is a joke
    Three years ago yes. Given the Rolex SS shortage, confirmed Rumors that Rolex is increasing prices by 5% on October 1st, and the Rolex Sub hasn't been updated since when? I can easily see this being Sub Killer in today's world.

And even if Rolex launches a new sub next year at Basel World....have fun getting on the a 2-3 year wait list and Paying 10k for a diver. No thanks. Plenty of other 10k watches I would rather Buy like an AP or PP.

I donít think itís a terrible looking watch, but saying itís a ďSub killerĒ is a joke
    Three years ago yes. Given the Rolex SS shortage, confirmed Rumors that Rolex is increasing prices by 5% on October 1st, and the Rolex Sub hasn't been updated since when? I can easily see this being Sub Killer in today's world.

And even if Rolex launches a new sub next year at Basel World....have fun getting on the a 2-3 year wait list and Paying 10k for a diver. No thanks. Plenty of other 10k watches I would rather Buy like an AP or PP.

Quote Originally Posted by bber45 View Post

What I meant was there are exactly 0 people who will sell a sub for one of these. Maybe a few people who are on a long waiting list will bite, but thatís only because they canít get the watch they really want: a Sub.

The best feature this watch has going for it is getting a submariner right now is very difficult

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

What I meant was there are exactly 0 people who will sell a sub for one of these. Maybe a few people who are on a long waiting list will bite, but that’s only because they can’t get the watch they really want: a Sub.

The best feature this watch has going for it is getting a submariner right now is very difficult
    Apart from the brand name, why isn't it a sub killer?

What I meant was there are exactly 0 people who will sell a sub for one of these. Maybe a few people who are on a long waiting list will bite, but thatís only because they canít get the watch they really want: a Sub.

First of all, people sell Subs all the time. I dare say that the number of people who have sold one, bought a new SMP, and pocketed thousands of dollars in the transaction is likely non-zero. Who knows, though? We're both conjecturing. In any event, there are certainly people who would buy one of these instead of a Sub, even if Rolex wasn't playing games with supply. I'm one of them. For me, the list of "best features" in comparison to a Sub include: movement, non-cyclops date/date window at 6:00, transparent case back, dial design, size, and of course, price. This watch has a lot more going for it than just its availability.
    3523 likes this.

What I meant was there are exactly 0 people who will sell a sub for one of these. Maybe a few people who are on a long waiting list will bite, but that’s only because they can’t get the watch they really want: a Sub.

I dont think that's true. My sub SS w/ date is scheduled to arrive at my dealer couple weeks from now (ordered months ago). I liked the modern look of the SMPc better so purchased it and decided not to buy the sub.

New 2018 SMP 8800's are arriving in the US this week...

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteMustard View Post
    Apart from the brand name, why isn't it a sub killer?
    Hard to say, the brand name is 90% of the reason a sub is more valuable

Quote Originally Posted by ajbutler13 View Post
    First of all, people sell Subs all the time. I dare say that the number of people who have sold one, bought a new SMP, and pocketed thousands of dollars in the transaction is likely non-zero. Who knows, though? We're both conjecturing. In any event, there are certainly people who would buy one of these instead of a Sub, even if Rolex wasn't playing games with supply. I'm one of them. For me, the list of "best features" in comparison to a Sub include: movement, non-cyclops date/date window at 6:00, transparent case back, dial design, size, and of course, price. This watch has a lot more going for it than just its availability.
    I donít doubt on paper they are very similar. However, one says Rolex and one doesnít, and to the vast vast vast majority of the public that means the one with ďRolexĒ on the dual is more valuable. That is why it will never be a sub killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Picture This View Post
    I dont think that's true. My sub SS w/ date is scheduled to arrive at my dealer couple weeks from now (ordered months ago). I liked the modern look of the SMPc better so purchased it and decided not to buy the sub.
    Right. You couldnít get the sub so you bought this. Like I said, no one is selling a sub to buy one of these. Itís probably a great watch, but no one is rushing to trade in their Rolex for one. Canceling a preorder is another thing

One of the best things about Rolex is the fact that their watches are updated slowly. The essence of the Sub design is still instantly recognisable after almost 65 years since its introduction. People always want what they can't have. Sure some people who want a Sub may buy one of these SMP's but anyone who's been into watches knows that buying the watch you want first time saves alot of grief and money.

Aside from that, this new SMP is a great watch, good movement and offers value for money in the luxury watch market, but it isn't a Sub.

Oh and please show me a AP or PP for 10K....

Quote Originally Posted by bber45 View Post

Toothbras and San Ramon like this.
    Dan

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......
    My Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/barny.1976/

Current

Ω Omega Speedmaster 3592.50
    Ω Omega Planet Ocean Liquid Metal Limited Edition
    Apple Watch Series 3

Gone

Ω Omega Seamaster 300 60th Anniversary Limited Edition
    Rolex Submariner 114060
    Ω Omega 36mm Railmaster

Ω Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre Limited Edition
    Ω Omega 38mm Aqua Terra "Skyfall"
    Ω Omega Speedmaster 3873.50 Sapphire Sandwich
    Ω Omega Aqua Terra 39mm Starburst blue dial
    Ω Omega Planet Ocean 2209.50
    Ω Omega Seamaster 2254.50

Page 23 of 79 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 73 ... LastLast

Thread Information