New 2018 SMP 8800's are arriving in the US this week... - Page 24
Like Tree909Likes

Thread: New 2018 SMP 8800's are arriving in the US this week...

Page 24 of 79 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 74 ... LastLast

Re: New 2018 SMP 8800's are arriving in the US this week...

Quote Originally Posted by solesman View Post
    One of the best things about Rolex is the fact that their watches are updated slowly. The essence of the Sub design is still instantly recognisable after almost 65 years since its introduction. People always want what they can't have. Sure some people who want a Sub may buy one of these SMP's but anyone who's been into watches knows that buying the watch you want first time saves alot of grief and money.

Aside from that, this new SMP is a great watch, good movement and offers value for money in the luxury watch market, but it isn't a Sub.

Oh and please show me a AP or PP for 10K....

With pleasure. In my area o ATX I can get a Pre-Owned Ellipse and a Calatrava for Less than 10k. Sure they are used and Old school but right there. Bernard Watches in Austin is a legit Grey Market Dealer.

Also, few pawn shops have some used AP Royal Oaks and Jumbo's for about 13k with papers and certifications. Just scower the grey markets.

Quote Originally Posted by bber45 View Post
    With pleasure. In my area o ATX I can get a Pre-Owned Ellipse and a Calatrava for Less than 10k. Sure they are used and Old school but right there. Bernard Watches in Austin is a legit Grey Market Dealer.

Also, few pawn shops have some used AP Royal Oaks and Jumbo's for about 13k with papers and certifications. Just scower the grey markets.
    I thought you were talking about buying new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......
    My Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/barny.1976/

Current

Ω Omega Speedmaster 3592.50
    Ω Omega Planet Ocean Liquid Metal Limited Edition
    Apple Watch Series 3

Gone

Ω Omega Seamaster 300 60th Anniversary Limited Edition
    Rolex Submariner 114060
    Ω Omega 36mm Railmaster

Ω Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre Limited Edition
    Ω Omega 38mm Aqua Terra "Skyfall"
    Ω Omega Speedmaster 3873.50 Sapphire Sandwich
    Ω Omega Aqua Terra 39mm Starburst blue dial
    Ω Omega Planet Ocean 2209.50
    Ω Omega Seamaster 2254.50

One of the best things about Rolex is the fact that their watches are updated slowly. The essence of the Sub design is still instantly recognisable after almost 65 years since its introduction. People always want what they can't have. Sure some people who want a Sub may buy one of these SMP's but anyone who's been into watches knows that buying the watch you want first time saves alot of grief and money.

Aside from that, this new SMP is a great watch, good movement and offers value for money in the luxury watch market, but it isn't a Sub.

Oh and please show me a AP or PP for 10K....
    Best thing to some but boring to others.
    Picture This and OmegaSMPMan like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Adamkb26 View Post
    Best thing to some but boring to others.
    For sure. Different strokes for different folks.

Dan

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......
    My Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/barny.1976/

Current

Ω Omega Speedmaster 3592.50
    Ω Omega Planet Ocean Liquid Metal Limited Edition
    Apple Watch Series 3

Gone

Ω Omega Seamaster 300 60th Anniversary Limited Edition
    Rolex Submariner 114060
    Ω Omega 36mm Railmaster

Ω Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre Limited Edition
    Ω Omega 38mm Aqua Terra "Skyfall"
    Ω Omega Speedmaster 3873.50 Sapphire Sandwich
    Ω Omega Aqua Terra 39mm Starburst blue dial
    Ω Omega Planet Ocean 2209.50
    Ω Omega Seamaster 2254.50

I went to an AD in my area to see the watch and brought my last edition SMP-C with me to see how it compares. The new SMP-C looks fantastic. The waves are more subtle than in pics, the conical He valve looks modern and cool and that 8800 movement with an exhibition caseback is almost worth it, even if the watch just sat on my desk.

It sounds like I’m far in the minority, but I find my last edition SMP-C to be the outer limit of the size I’m comfortable with and enjoy. The new SMP-C was noticeably a tad larger. So, I just couldn’t pull the trigger, unless and until it grows on me (no pun intended). I’m hoping it does because the improved movement with METAS certification and that first-time exhibition caseback is the business and I want to really love it, but I don’t know if I ever can.

Shout out to Adamkb26 for sharing his discount info with me to try to match my AD or buy from his.

Quote Originally Posted by playinwittime View Post
    I went to an AD in my area to see the watch and brought my last edition SMP-C with me to see how it compares. The new SMP-C looks fantastic. The waves are more subtle than in pics, the conical He valve looks modern and cool and that 8800 movement with an exhibition caseback is almost worth it, even if the watch just sat on my desk.

It sounds like I’m far in the minority, but I find my last edition SMP-C to be the outer limit of the size I’m comfortable with and enjoy. The new SMP-C was noticeably a tad larger. So, I just couldn’t pull the trigger, unless and until it grows on me (no pun intended). I’m hoping it does because the improved movement with METAS certification and that first-time exhibition caseback is the business and I want to really love it, but I don’t know if I ever can.

Shout out to Adamkb26 for sharing his discount info with me to try to match my AD or buy from his.
    Seems to be a perennial problem with Omega. They take a great design and ruin it by making it to big or too thick. I just got the previous version of the SMPc and had a chance to compare it to the new one. While the new wave dial is nicer in person than on pictures, I find the old laquered dial so much more beautiful, and the overall dimensions of the watch, especially the thickness and lug to lug are much better.
    Just my opinion though.
    playinwittime and TechGuyJ like this.

I thought you were talking about buying new.

ahh gotcha. New or used I see your point. Correct, new you won't find an AP or PP for under 10k. However, if you're going to spend more than 10k I'm going to save up more for a higher tier watch company. At the end of the day, Rolex is still Mid-Tier.

Granted, I will most likely sell two of my Rolex's (Daytona and Pre-Ceramic Sub) and make a killing. And most likely buy this new SMP 2018 and pocket the rest for a rainy day. Better watch, bang for buck, and I can feel comfortable wearing it.
    TechGuyJ likes this.

I don't think calling this a Sub killer is far fetched, the only thing I see going for the Sub is the brand, resale value and glidelock, and of the three, only the glidelock is the only objective advantage, as I think it is still more elegant than Omega's push button solution, offering more adjustment and the bracelet/clasp looks the same when extended or retracted.

The new SMP has the modern material and arguably a better movement to compete against the Sub, and it is probably the most iconic and persistent design in the Seamaster family. The design is a clear evolution of the original SMP from the 90s, and unlike most Omega offerings, it hasn't been drastically changed compared to the original. Also, I think the SubC is quite a design deviation from the original Sub, the chunky case has completely changed the design and feel of the watch. To me, the 2018 SMP is very much like the SubC from a design perspective, both are clear evolution of the original, but both thoroughly modernised, sort of like comparing a modern 911 to the original.

Of course, if we are to talk about brand and resale value, Rolex is simply peerless amongst mass produced watches, and most non WIS types will see that as enough to always go with a Rolex.
    1165dvd likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Toothbras View Post
    Right. You couldn’t get the sub so you bought this. Like I said, no one is selling a sub to buy one of these. It’s probably a great watch, but no one is rushing to trade in their Rolex for one. Canceling a preorder is another thing
    I can have the sub in two weeks (or now if I decide to buy one from the forums). I have tried both the sub and SMP and decided on the SMPc. The sub isn't as hard to obtain as you make it sound. Its in short supply for sure, but not impossible to find.

Guys - I have a problem. I went to my AD again today and they had the new SMP with a rubber bracelet in. I tried it on with the metal bracelet previously and loved it but I think, for every day use, the rubber bracelet is far superior. I know that I'll end up buying the watch with the metal bracelet since it's a much better value, but does anyone know how much the rubber bracelet is?

I think I was reading somewhere that the rubber bracelet was something ridiculous like $600+ and I definitely do not want to pay that. I was hoping it'd be an extra $100 or something so I can have both bracelets.

Page 24 of 79 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 74 ... LastLast

Thread Information