New 2018 SMP 8800's are arriving in the US this week... - Page 38
Like Tree909Likes

Thread: New 2018 SMP 8800's are arriving in the US this week...

Page 38 of 79 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast

Re: New 2018 SMP 8800's are arriving in the US this week...

Quote Originally Posted by Ajmercado View Post
    My mind has been going crazy over getting a strap like this. I think the (suede?) finish gives it a vintage-y feel even though it is a very modern watch. And I love how it kind of tones down the watch as opposed to the bracelet. It makes it fly under the radar a little more which I like. It just looks like the perfect fall strap. How is the stiffness? And how has it broken in or changed from age and wear?

Also, any chance I can bug you for some more pictures of it on that Seamaster? :)

I'm really considering pulling the trigger on it! On the contrary, if you have any other recommendations for leather/suede I'm all ears.
    I'd say the stiffness is like any other quality, thicker leather strap. Pretty stiff to start, but it's softened up quite a bit now. Not sure I've noticed it change much. Probably dirtier now, but I've been riding it during my bike commutes. When it starts raining, the watch will have to go in the bag or go on the bracelet. :D

Here's a shot that shows more of the strap. It's leather on a diver, I know, but I just love it for some reason.

Name:  IMG_20181012_080929.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  1.42 MB

My mind has been going crazy over getting a strap like this. I think the (suede?) finish gives it a vintage-y feel even though it is a very modern watch. And I love how it kind of tones down the watch as opposed to the bracelet. It makes it fly under the radar a little more which I like. It just looks like the perfect fall strap. How is the stiffness? And how has it broken in or changed from age and wear?

Also, any chance I can bug you for some more pictures of it on that Seamaster? :)

I'm really considering pulling the trigger on it! On the contrary, if you have any other recommendations for leather/suede I'm all ears.
    I'd say the stiffness is like any other quality, thicker leather strap. Pretty stiff to start, but it's softened up quite a bit now. Not sure I've noticed it change much. Probably dirtier now, but I've been riding it during my bike commutes. When it starts raining, the watch will have to go in the bag or go on the bracelet. :D

Here's a shot that shows more of the strap. It's leather on a diver, I know, but I just love it for some reason.

hugof3C likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pkulak View Post

Thanks for the reply, it looks great

I know the oxymoron with leather on divers but man it works well! Gonna have to snag me one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I just had my first "hands on" experience with the black dial on rubber last evening. It's the only one left at my OB. The others have all sold.

The features and details all compliment each other, and the wave dial is executed very well. All elements work well together to make this a special watch as opposed to just the next generation of SMP. Also, the "Reese's Cup" helium escape valve is really a non-issue. It looks worse in the pics than it is in reality. I think many will be happy with this watch, and while it will still be the model that attracts many first-time Omega buyers, it will be one that will be kept in the collection for years to come instead of sold in a year or two in order to buy something better. Think about it, an outstanding version of an iconic dial, a master chronometer, the new adjustable bracelet clasp or rubber strap, and Omega's quality fit and finish all at a great price point. I've converted from an admirer to a fan.
    Ajmercado and Ambull like this.
    Current Lineup: Breitling Galactic Unitime Sleek T
    Breitling Avenger II Chronograph Omega Seamaster 300M 44MM GMT Chronograph
    Ball Engineer II Chronometer Red Label 43mm Ball Engineer III CarboLIGHT 43mm
    Tissot T-Touch Expert, All Titanium Citizen Eco-Drive World Perpetual AT CB0000-57E
    LUM-TEC Super Combat B4 LUM-TEC M25 Tungsten
    Deep Blue Master 2000 Casio G-Shock Full Metal GMW-B 5000 D-1

Quote Originally Posted by qa_ii View Post
    I just had my first "hands on" experience with the black dial on rubber last evening. It's the only one left at my OB. The others have all sold.

The features and details all compliment each other, and the wave dial is executed very well. All elements work well together to make this a special watch as opposed to just the next generation of SMP. Also, the "Reese's Cup" helium escape valve is really a non-issue. It looks worse in the pics than it is in reality. I think many will be happy with this watch, and while it will still be the model that attracts many first-time Omega buyers, it will be one that will be kept in the collection for years to come instead of sold in a year or two in order to buy something better. Think about it, an outstanding version of an iconic dial, a master chronometer, the new adjustable bracelet clasp or rubber strap, and Omega's quality fit and finish all at a great price point. I've converted from an admirer to a fan.
    I agree with all your points. I came from hating Seamasters to owning this watch. I was totally sold on it. Toothpaste cap HE valve like you said, isnít a big deal in person, stock pics donít do it justice. Bigger size also a non issue to me and I have small wrists. Thickness, again, not an issue.

I think this is the iteration where they took every single piece of feedback from prior models and just gave the entire watch a facelift.

qa_ii likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by qa_ii View Post

Great post and points. i am still struggling with the size though and am leaning towards the previous model after many months of excitement for the newer one. It's not that the newer version is too big in general, it's more of a personal thing for me in that i already have enough bigger watches with my trio of black bays, and DSOTM. My next few watch purchases are going to be of the smaller size, and with the SMP being on my hit list, i just don't think I can justify another "largerish" watch in the rotation. I really think the size was the only bad move they made with this watch. just seems so unnecessary.

The reeses peanut butter cup would be a non-issue for me as well!
    qa_ii likes this.
    Omega Seamaster Ceramic Blue
    Omega Speedmaster
    Speedy Tuesday
    Tudor Black Bay Bronze
    Brown (79250BM)
    Tudor Black Bay
    Bronze Blue (79250BB)
    Seiko Brightz 'Grand Cocktail' (Sdgm001)
    Seiko Brightz 'Grand Cocktail' (Sdgm003)

On the list:

Grand Seiko (snowflake)

New 2018 SMP 8800's are arriving in the US this week...

Quote Originally Posted by Ambull View Post
    Great post and points. i am still struggling with the size though and am leaning towards the previous model after many months of excitement for the newer one. It's not that the newer version is too big in general, it's more of a personal thing for me in that i already have enough bigger watches with my trio of black bays, and DSOTM. My next few watch purchases are going to be of the smaller size, and with the SMP being on my hit list, i just don't think I can justify another "largerish" watch in the rotation. I really think the size was the only bad move they made with this watch. just seems so unnecessary.

The reeses peanut butter cup would be a non-issue for me as well!
    I donít blame you, and I do agree with you that while the bigger size is not really a positive of the watch, everyone wouldíve preferred that it stay the same or shrink down IMO. Owning the watch I can say the size doesnít bother me, but so far itís still confusing to me why they did it, considering that the same movement is used in the 39.5mm Planet Ocean.

My theory is this: if they kept it at 41mm, or even made an alternative midsize model, it would just look too busy and squished. Especially if they kept the applied logo like people are also complaining about. Having a bigger dial letís the whole thing breathe a little more considering the bolder ceramic-etched waves and the maxi indices.

Iím not saying I like that they increased the size, but thatís the only reasons I can think of of why they did it. It canít be because of the movement size!

Ambull and njavier03 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pkulak View Post

Also, any chance I can bug you for some more pictures of it on that Seamaster? 🙂

I'd say the stiffness is like any other quality, thicker leather strap. Pretty stiff to start, but it's softened up quite a bit now. Not sure I've noticed it change much. Probably dirtier now, but I've been riding it during my bike commutes. When it starts raining, the watch will have to go in the bag or go on the bracelet. 😄

Really creative combination. Looks great nice job!

She's here, one week after I placed the order, all the bells and whistles that I need and she is gorgeous

Attachment 13562669
    Attached Images Attached Images

bber45 and tbensous like this.
    One day I can be wearing a TAG, next a Patek or an Omega or a Swatch, ( yes, I have a Sub who doesn't) mood dependent

Quote Originally Posted by San Ramon View Post
    She's here, one week after I placed the order, all the bells and whistles that I need and she is gorgeous

Attachment 13562669
    Is that blue or black?
    Do you have more wrist shots?
    Well done!

Page 38 of 79 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast

Thread Information