New 2018 SMP 8800's are arriving in the US this week... - Page 47
Like Tree909Likes

Thread: New 2018 SMP 8800's are arriving in the US this week...

Page 47 of 79 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... LastLast
Results 461 to 470 of 784
  1. #461
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    ATL Metro
    Posts
    2,432

    Re: New 2018 SMP 8800's are arriving in the US this week...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheverian View Post
    "Waves are a great addition and nod to the past and far less noticeable than photos suggest, the ceramic dial all in itself has a quality feel to it with the rich sunburst finish and CRISP finishing and dial text, unbelievable for the price."

    That's interesting to hear about the waves. In the photos I have seen they appear too pronounced for my taste. The overall design can't be described as subtle. Great lume!
    The waves range from "you can't even see them" to "you can't help but see them." Long story short, the waves will certainly be "too pronounced for your taste" sometimes.
    TechGuyJ and iam7head like this.

  2. #462
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    12

    Re: New 2018 SMP 8800's are arriving in the US this week...

    I have the SMP 2531.80.00 and the waves on that version did tend to jump out at me at first. They almost seemed to vibrate, especially in direct sunlight. Now I don't really notice them. I don't dislike the 8800, but maybe because I'm wearing my Planet Ocean 2201.50.00 today I am in a more muted mood. I'm unlikely to pick up the SMP 8800, in any case, because I am way overdue buying a Speedmaster. But I can appreciate the excitement of everyone here getting a pre-holiday gift in the post.
    Ajmercado and iam7head like this.

  3. #463
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    113

    Re: New 2018 SMP 8800's are arriving in the US this week...

    For those that own or have handled a SubC, I’m curious what your thoughts are on the quality of this Seamaster vs a SubC. I know someone commented on that just a few posts ago and I would like to hear more from people.

    I’ve only handled a Batman GMT and I can for sure say the bezel action is superior to the Seamaster, but that was no surprise. Otherwise the size at 40mm was nice. Obviously a very different watch but that’s all I’ve handled Rolex-wise

    The crystal on the Seamaster is almost nonexistent due to the AR coatings. The clear caseback is a neat plus (IMO). The brushing and finishing looked pretty similar to the Rolex as far as I can tell. Both great quality. I like the twisted lugs on the Seamaster compared to the chunky lugs of the newer Rolex models. The ceramic bezel inserts I think are comparable and the enamel inlay on the Seamasters bezel makes for a super clean look, and no dirt buildup in the grooves of the numbers like the Rolex. On paper the 8800 movement seeems superior, but in all honesty I’m sure this and the Rolex movements perform the same in real life, I doubt you could tell a difference.

    I don’t want to turn this into a “WHICH IS BETTER???” thread, but instead just objectively compare features of both and get insight for those who have handled both. One big reason I got the 8800 SMP is because of its incredible value prop, it punches way above its price point imo.

    So I’d love to hear from others how they compare the two, not necessarily which is “better” overall but more from a quality stance how do they stack up. Happy Monday!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    supervoice likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #464
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,463

    Re: New 2018 SMP 8800's are arriving in the US this week...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ajmercado View Post
    For those that own or have handled a SubC, I’m curious what your thoughts are on the quality of this Seamaster vs a SubC. I know someone commented on that just a few posts ago and I would like to hear more from people.

    I’ve only handled a Batman GMT and I can for sure say the bezel action is superior to the Seamaster, but that was no surprise. Otherwise the size at 40mm was nice. Obviously a very different watch but that’s all I’ve handled Rolex-wise

    The crystal on the Seamaster is almost nonexistent due to the AR coatings. The clear caseback is a neat plus (IMO). The brushing and finishing looked pretty similar to the Rolex as far as I can tell. Both great quality. I like the twisted lugs on the Seamaster compared to the chunky lugs of the newer Rolex models. The ceramic bezel inserts I think are comparable and the enamel inlay on the Seamasters bezel makes for a super clean look, and no dirt buildup in the grooves of the numbers like the Rolex. On paper the 8800 movement seeems superior, but in all honesty I’m sure this and the Rolex movements perform the same in real life, I doubt you could tell a difference.

    I don’t want to turn this into a “WHICH IS BETTER???” thread, but instead just objectively compare features of both and get insight for those who have handled both. One big reason I got the 8800 SMP is because of its incredible value prop, it punches way above its price point imo.

    So I’d love to hear from others how they compare the two, not necessarily which is “better” overall but more from a quality stance how do they stack up. Happy Monday!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just my opinion here, I think fit and finish and the generally quality is basically on par, at least I wasn't able to see a difference without a loupe. The only noticeable difference to me were the end links and the clasp, I think the SubC still has slightly tighter fitting end links, and the glidelock is still to me a better implementation of adjustable clasp, as it looks the same when extended.
    Ajmercado likes this.

  6. #465
    Member ck13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    SYDNEY, Australia
    Posts
    421
    Just picked up, excuse the phone pic quality. My first OMEGA, and first two tone.
    Will try and write a review after a week or so of wear.
    Early signs are good. Feels top quality and is super comfy.
    The rubber just goes so well with the aesthetics of the two tone.

    Name:  20181106_180602_1541488191348.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  857.9 KB
    Name:  20181106_180424_1541488211137.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  997.2 KB
    Name:  20181106_180304_1541488235369.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  982.4 KBName:  20181106_174009_1541488309590.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  3.11 MBName:  20181106_173618_1541488330809.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  906.2 KBName:  20181106_173518_1541488354732.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  1.05 MBName:  20181106_173317_1541488400812.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  878.9 KBName:  20181106_173410_1541488452615.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  778.8 KB
    Last edited by ck13; November 6th, 2018 at 08:16. Reason: Add pics

  7. #466
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    299
    Ck13 im thinking between the sub no date and this new omega which one do you love the most and do they wear similar.

  8. #467
    Member ck13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    SYDNEY, Australia
    Posts
    421

    Re: New 2018 SMP 8800's are arriving in the US this week...

    Quote Originally Posted by 65rob View Post
    Ck13 im thinking between the sub no date and this new omega which one do you love the most and do they wear similar.
    Hey 65rob,
    To be honest as I've only spent a day with the Seamaster vs a couple of months with the Submariner I can't say at this stage which one I'm more fond of. Although they are both 300m divers, they have such different personalities. After a couple of weeks of constant wear with the SM I'll have a better idea on how to answer that one.
    They do wear pretty similar. On paper the SM is ever so slightly bigger, but that hasn't compromised wearability. Lug to lug the sub is around 47, and the SM is 50.
    Height wise I've noticed no difference on the wrist. My wrist is 7.25 inches.

  9. #468
    Member Ben.McDonald7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,217

    Re: New 2018 SMP 8800's are arriving in the US this week...

    Quote Originally Posted by ck13 View Post
    Just picked up, excuse the phone pic quality. My first OMEGA, and first two tone.
    Will try and write a review after a week or so of wear.
    Early signs are good. Feels top quality and is super comfy.
    The rubber just goes so well with the aesthetics of the two tone.

    Name:  20181106_180602_1541488191348.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  857.9 KB
    Name:  20181106_180424_1541488211137.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  997.2 KB
    Name:  20181106_180304_1541488235369.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  982.4 KBName:  20181106_174009_1541488309590.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  3.11 MBName:  20181106_173618_1541488330809.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  906.2 KBName:  20181106_173518_1541488354732.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  1.05 MBName:  20181106_173317_1541488400812.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  878.9 KBName:  20181106_173410_1541488452615.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  778.8 KB
    Congrats!! The rose gold two tone looks very solid especially with the rubber strap. I'm not a fan of the two tone bracelet for the new SMP and I think the price increase for the bracelet with just a little bit of gold doesn't make sense.

    You have a great combo with the no date subC and your new SMP!

    Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    Philippians 3:13-14

    Current Collection:
    Ω Omega Speedmaster Pro
    Ω Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 2500D
    Rolex Datejust 16013
    Rolex GMT-Master II 116710-BLNR

    Past:
    Hamilton Khaki Field Titanium PVD (Stolen)
    Squale 50 Atmos 1521-026-BLR (Sold)
    Omega Seamaster Professional 2220.80 (Sold)
    Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra >15,000 Gauss (Sold)
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 8500 XL (Sold)
    Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial (Sold)
    Rolex GMT-Master II 16710 (Sold)

  10. #469
    Member ck13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    SYDNEY, Australia
    Posts
    421

    Re: New 2018 SMP 8800's are arriving in the US this week...

    ^^^Thanks Ben! Yeah it's priced too high with the bracelet. Even though they did have the blue two tone version on the bracelet, I just thought it looked really sharp on the rubber. Also I'm abit spoiled with the Sub's bracelet.

  11. #470
    Member AbsoluteMustard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Boston, USA
    Posts
    1,906

    Re: New 2018 SMP 8800's are arriving in the US this week...

    I think the rose gold two tone would look better on a full steel bracelet instead of the two tone bracelet
    ck13 likes this.

Page 47 of 79 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. My New Alpha Seamaster Arrived In The Mail This Afternoon!
      By Tom Wilson in forum Affordable watches
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: February 6th, 2016, 23:33
    2. Replies: 96
      Last Post: March 18th, 2014, 08:26
    3. Look what arrived in the post this morning.
      By graybabs in forum Omega
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: May 24th, 2009, 03:36
    4. new arrivals joined the lineup this week.
      By pcworks in forum Casio G-Shock
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: September 22nd, 2007, 02:32
    5. Replies: 3
      Last Post: March 10th, 2006, 14:39

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •