WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

New 2018 SMP 8800's are arriving in the US this week...

163K views 792 replies 179 participants last post by  omega1300 
#1 ·
I put my deposit down with Rob at Topper almost exactly a month ago for the steel/black dial/rubber strap 2018 SMP 8800/wave dial and it arrived at the store today - I just paid the balance and it's on it's way to me this week!

Everyone has been saying October at the earliest for AD's, and the first couple just showed up at UK Omega boutiques a few days ago. Very pleasantly surprised...

Will post a few pics when it gets here!

#3 ·
Really looking forward to your photos and comments. Wear it with good heslth [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Saw the two tone blue and yellow gold in person this weekend. Not my favorite color combo but the dial does look nice, albeit busier than the outgoing model. Specs indicate that its slightly larger than before and I did notice that on the wrist. Overall a good looking watch and am excited to see it in the other colors as well as the rubber strap references.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#15 ·
I love the new dial and case design, great looking watch. But those end links - eugh!!!! They’re horrible. The end links should always connect to the bracelet, not the other way around. It’s like a fancy 80s Rolex! For me, it makes it one I can’t buy, which is a massive shame as I could have been tempted easily with that case and dial.

#19 ·
Someone needs to post immediate pictures once they see them land. Suspense is killing me as I'm itching for a new diver this year.
Mine is on the UPS truck - out for delivery right now. I have to do some running around for work today so my wife will sign for it, but hopefully I can at least get some iPhone pics up by tonight.

#26 ·
Alright -

Got here late - rushing now because family waiting for me to go out to dinner -

Sorry these aren't great - I'll take better this weekend - have to get out the door but snapped a few iPhone pics while getting ready.

First impressions - looks like all the best pics/videos released so far. Black is the deep polished black you're used to from the 8800/8900 black PO's. Waves pop out at angles in the light, disappear quite a bit straight on/dimmer light. Enamel bezel really pops.

That's my just-got-it impression. Very happy at the moment.

Better/more to come after work tomorrow or Saturday....wish it were here earlier.

Watch Wrist Watch accessory Fashion accessory Analog watch

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

Analog watch Watch Black Watch accessory Wrist

Watch Analog watch Wrist Fashion accessory Watch accessory

#30 ·
Alright -

Got here late - rushing now because family waiting for me to go out to dinner -

Sorry these aren't great - I'll take better this weekend - have to get out the door but snapped a few iPhone pics while getting ready.

First impressions - looks like all the best pics/videos released so far. Black is the deep polished black you're used to from the 8800/8900 black PO's. Waves pop out at angles in the light, disappear quite a bit straight on/dimmer light. Enamel bezel really pops.

That's my just-got-it impression. Very happy at the moment.

Better/more to come after work tomorrow or Saturday....wish it were here earlier.

View attachment 13456963
View attachment 13456965
View attachment 13456967
View attachment 13456969
Man that looks sexy. Almost memorizing Certainly will be picking up one of these as well when I get the funds and return from my honeymoon. Wouldn't be surprised if I just get one over seas :)

#66 ·
So far I really like the rubber strap. Don't get me wrong - in terms of pure economics, it makes more sense to buy the bracelet since there's barely a price difference. I love the way they look on others, but constantly try to tone down my watches to be less "flashy". An old $250 Tissot on a bracelet got more compliments and pointed out more than any other watch I've ever owned, and this new SMP is shiny as hell to begin with - so anything to fly under the radar.

For anyone that does like bracelets, the bracelet and clasp on this are supposed to top notch so absolutely go for it - and it looks great. And of course if you're concerned with resale, it makes more sense to buy the bracelet - It's just my very personal preference that I'm just not a bracelet guy.

anyway -

Make no mistake, this is very much a no-frills basic rubber strap - but it is very comfortable, and well thought out:

- fixed keeper has some kind of metal hidden inside the top to keep it from bending out of shape over time

- floating keeper has a little nub on the inside that you sit inside the last hole on the strap so it doesn't slide around once it's on your wrist

- case integration is perfect; shape and the downward slope to hug the wrist. no surprise, Omega's done that well on rubber straps for a long time.

- the buckle is just a buckle - while of course i'd have preferred a deployant, it's a really nice buckle. Raised logo, interesting shape, finished as well as the watch with combo of brushed surfaces and polished sides - and the tang has a really great shape that both minimizes strap creasing (so far, NO strap creasing), and lets it sit really comfortably under your wrist.

Most of my watches live on leather in cooler weather, phenomenato in the summer. This one will live on the OEM rubber - love the look, and it feels great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.