New 2018 SMP(w) - Page 10
Like Tree513Likes

Thread: New 2018 SMP(w)

Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Re: New 2018 SMP(w)

Quote Originally Posted by Apples View Post
    Can't argue with that. I like that Rolex keeps things the same, so that a 10 plus year old watch still looks the same. But I also like that Omega freshens things up a bit. I think the strategy works for each. Rolex, if you wait years to get one, you'll want it to look "new" for a while to come. Omega, since you can readily buy, in a few years you'll be looking for a fresh design after owning it.

That’s the truth, and I love how modern Omegas look: modern. The issue is money isn’t an unlimited resource and every time Omega refreshes a model, the old one becomes more obscure/undesirable and there goes its resale value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    I'm a very long time lurker/reader, but this is my first post. I would actually like to thank all of the active users on this forum for the info and perspective they provide.

Since I was a young man, I have loved the look of the SMP. Despite not being a huge fan of the JB films in which it was originally featured, the watch resonated with me. Fast forward to a few years back and one of my best friends found a 50th anniversary GMT (sword hands) in fantastic condition and it shook me. Every time I see him, off canned my Seiko Kinetic Tuna and on went that watch. He was always kind enough to say nice things about the tool diver that he got handed (I DO love my Seiko SUN). Fast forward some more to a few days before Christmas 2018 and I was in an AD closing this deal. Lol. I tried all the AT's (loved them and I will own one), a Railmaster (a tiny bit too much vintage aestheticfor me), and all three of the non-gold SMP's (black, sincere, and blue face). The black really spoke to me with the red accents on the dial. While wearing the blue, it was VERY handsome but I found myself wishing that the blue was darker (closer to Navy or Cobalt blue), like the earlier 2500 caliber watch. The silver also looked absolutely incredible, but lacked any color accent that contrasted with the face like the red-on-black. So the AD and I agreed on a 10% discount on the last black-on-bracelet in the store and I left a happy man.

When storing it 6 o'clock down overnight, I'm getting right around .1-.2 seconds fast per day using WatchTracker on iOS. Though, admittedly, the watch is accurate enough to have my error in syncing the second hand to potentially play a role in the measurement.

The bracelet is fantastically comfortable, easily equaling my previous most comfy watch, a 1995-96 Tag Se/L quartz with that famous/infamous S-Link band. I've repeatedly forgotten the SMP was on my wrist; a feat for a watch that isn't light in the std sense. The quick adjust feature is also 100% the future; I am able to wear the bracelet tighter (yet with 100% comfort) throughout the day. I don't have to pick one setting and learn to live with it. Further, it comes with two sets of half links (one on either side of the clasp). And, personally, I simply adore the look of the SMP bracelet. I'll be snagging a rubber strap later on for potential summer use.

The way that light plays and interacts with the dial is really fantastic. It's like getting a different, yet complimentary, version of the watch face every time you walk into a different room. With the laser engraved waves having a matte microtexture, they can look inky black or matte light grey. They can transform in this manner even in direct sunlight.

In fact, the entire face can turn into an inky black (with hands and indices still easily visible) void or a shiny mimic of a nearby light source by the twist of my wrist. The double AR coating makes the crystal disappear more often than I'm used to, showcasing the dial even more. I am increasingly guilty of getting caught staring at my watch while simultaneously having absolutely zero clue what time it is. Strangers think I'm rude. Friends think I'm constantly in a hurry. I can't stop looking at it. Surely there's a pill for this...

The display case back is also a wonderful little treat that I really love. Is it an unnecessary frivolity? Of course it is! So is having more than a G-Shock or Timex on your wrist. I dig it. And I'm willing to have a slightly thicker case to get it. End of story.

As my first luxury watch purchase, the entire process felt special. Thanks in large part to one of my best buddies (Ian you rock!) and not in small part to this forum. I went in prepared in what to look for, what to expect, and realistic expectations. My AD reciprocated and the experience couldn't have been smoother. Many thanks for those here that share such good info.

Side by side with my buddy's 50th Anniversary GMT SMP, the watches are clearly brothers of the same parents. The cases are so close in size, when my bud and I traded watches for a few minutes, we got to talking about the Rolex Daytona bubble and we both, out loud, admitted that we forgot we were wearing the other's watch.

On the same wrist, their diameter is difficult to differentiate by eye. Though mine is clearly thicker in profile, it's also still very close. The lineage is really striking and I just love that a non-watch-person might not be able to tell which is newer, or even that they're different, depending on the angle.

Wow beautiful

BufordTJustice likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben.McDonald7 View Post
    Congrats and awesome review/post. The new black SMP is a great all arounder. I just bought the blue dial this past weekend but I was torn between the black and blue. I went blue to add some variety to my black dial watch collection and am loving it. In normal lighting it really comes off as more navy blue.

Great post and congrats!
    Mine says hello.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    How does it feel on the wrist?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Wrist shot. Working on my birthday. Again. Still.

A very Happy Birthday to you, sir!! Many happy returns of the day

René
    Citizen Navihawk
    Momentum Supernova, Titan II, Aquamatic II (Blue Dial)
    OMEGA Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch (ref 310.30.42.30.01.005), Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial Chronometer (ref 233.30.41.21.01.001)
    Seiko SKX007 (Gone--gifted to my uncle)
    Steinhart Marine Chronometer II Roman (Unitas 6498), Nav. B-Chrono II DLC (ETA Valjoux 7750), Nav. B-Uhr II (Unitas 6497), Ocean One Vintage (ETA 2824-2) SOLD, Ocean One Vintage Red (ETA 2824-2) SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by DripCassanova View Post
    How does it feel on the wrist?

I have a flat 7 inch wrist and it fits me like a glove. The bracelet is a great fit and I really like the adjustable clasp. I think it wears very similar to a 2500 Planet Ocean which was great. To me it has the right balance of wrist presence and comfort.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    Philippians 3:13-14

Current Collection:
    Ω Omega Speedmaster Pro
    Ω Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 2500D
    Rolex Datejust 16013
    Rolex GMT-Master II 116710-BLNR

Past:
    Hamilton Khaki Field Titanium PVD (Stolen)
    Squale 50 Atmos 1521-026-BLR (Sold)
    Omega Seamaster Professional 2220.80 (Sold)
    Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra >15,000 Gauss (Sold)
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 8500 XL (Sold)
    Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial (Sold)
    Rolex GMT-Master II 16710 (Sold)

It looks stunning. But, they made it bigger. Apparently 43mm. That's going the wrong direction IMHO.

I think this will wear unexpectedly nice when you factor in the (lack of)weight of the ceramic case. And black is slimming, after all.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by 1165dvd View Post
    I think this will wear unexpectedly nice when you factor in the (lack of)weight of the ceramic case. And black is slimming, after all.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Good point. I forgot about the weight reduction.

I would ADORE a GMT in this line. Omega, DO YOU HEAR ME?!?

1165dvd likes this.
    Omega 2018 SMPmc Steel/Black on Bracelet, Seiko SUN045 Kinetic Tuna, Tag Heuer Se/L quartz WG1113-KO, Seiko SHC041 Air Diver.

Would be nice

Friday lume shot in the break room.

Cybotron, Dino7, boatswain and 2 others like this.
    Omega 2018 SMPmc Steel/Black on Bracelet, Seiko SUN045 Kinetic Tuna, Tag Heuer Se/L quartz WG1113-KO, Seiko SHC041 Air Diver.

The black and red really do it for me. Been the best GADA watch I've ever had.

boatswain, Dohnut, plibber and 2 others like this.

Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread Information